lens cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowparang

Mar 26, 2002
Visit site
hi everyone...

I have an old SLR with VERy mouldy lenses. Even the viewer and the mirror is mouldy...

So how do I remove the mould without damaging the lenses or the coatings?

I did not do anything, not even wiping with water cos not sure what cloth to use either, scared damage lah (although it's not LEICA or something....)

Thanks...

Originally posted by snowparang
hi everyone...

I have an old SLR with VERy mouldy lenses. Even the viewer and the mirror is mouldy...

So how do I remove the mould without damaging the lenses or the coatings?

I did not do anything, not even wiping with water cos not sure what cloth to use either, scared damage lah (although it's not LEICA or something....)

Thanks...

Using DIY self-cleaning methods @ home probably won't help much....u need professional help...or consider it a total loss???

Jayan, how much do u think the repair would cost for cleaning of such lens? Estimate?

if it is a zoom, be prepared to spend more...

if the mould has been there for a long time, most probably the coating are already been eaten.

yes, it's a zoom (Sigma Zoom Master, 1:2.8 - 4, f35 - 70 mm) and yes, it cost much, hence not worth it, so trying to clean it myself.

Any idea?

yes, it's a zoom (Sigma Zoom Master, 1:2.8 - 4, f35 - 70 mm) and yes, it cost much, hence not worth it, so trying to clean it myself.

Any idea?

Get a Kodak lens cleaner. Get some cutton (you might need more). Some tissue, button bud, and micro fibre cloth.

The hardest part is to dissemble and ressemble it...they might get out of allignment later...

Remember, open the lens from the front, not from the back.

All the best!

Originally posted by kaipium
Jayan, how much do u think the repair would cost for cleaning of such lens? Estimate?

Sorrie...I really do not know....but I do know that repairs of this nature is rather costly.

if you're gonna DIY, remember not to drip the cleaning fluid onto the lens or mouldings straight. drip it onto the cloth or cotton bud and apply gently from there. if you have to use any kind of force to get the mold out, chances are you need pro help...

good luck as well... :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Kho King

Get a Kodak lens cleaner. Get some cutton (you might need more). Some tissue, button bud, and micro fibre cloth.

The hardest part is to dissemble and ressemble it...they might get out of allignment later...

Remember, open the lens from the front, not from the back.

All the best!

Thanks, but there's a prob... I can't see anyway to open from the front, and the back has some screws. Without your advice I would surely start from the back but now...

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Jayan

Using DIY self-cleaning methods @ home probably won't help much....u need professional help...or consider it a total loss???

Well, the situation looks pretty hopeless, so much so that my father actually bought another one. Guess this one is just keeping for 'old times sake'. I'm kinda like the manual film winding mechanism, and the lack of autofocus...

At least, can gain some insight to lens construction?

I'll dismantle it on thursday, may post some pics then.

Thanks, but there's a prob... I can't see anyway to open from the front, and the back has some screws. Without your advice I would surely start from the back but now...

Thanks again.

Don't open from the back, or else you will have hard time assemble it back. There is no screw on the front, but when you look carefully, you will notice that the inside on the front is actually screw thread, and there should have two hole there...

hmm...kind of hard to explain.

What's the brand of your lens and cam? I am sure all (ok...most) Nikkors are open from front...

Originally posted by Kho King

Don't open from the back, or else you will have hard time assemble it back. There is no screw on the front, but when you look carefully, you will notice that the inside on the front is actually screw thread, and there should have two hole there...

hmm...kind of hard to explain.

What's the brand of your lens and cam? I am sure all (ok...most) Nikkors are open from front...

Body is Olympus, Lens is Sigma.

I get what you mean, but still the front of the lens is smooth/no holes, no sight of threads either.

Status
Not open for further replies.