Lens cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

portal28

May 15, 2006
Hi guys, I have a Canon 17-85mm which has some dust inside the lens. It can be seen when I look through the front glass. Is there anyway for this to be cleaned? How much would it cost? The lens is already out of warranty so I'm wondering whether any shop or Canon service centre can clean it and what kind costs will be involved.

Does it affect your pictures? If not, don't bother.

The correct way of cleaning lens by the pros should be:

1. Check focusing with Collimators first before disassembly, note current setting/positions.
2. Disassemble lens for cleaning.
3. After cleaning, assemble lens and test on collimator that the settings are still the same as per original. Otherwise, adjustments are to be made back to original setting.

However only P&G (Adelphi), apart from Canon has collimators. So if you sent to some other non-professionals, they may humtam and screw up your lens focusing, or they will simply act as middleman and sent in to P&G anyway.

Some weeks ago, I enquire the cost of cleaning at P&G and was quoted the same price as what Canon service centre quoted me. Since I wanted to be safer and the cost are similar, I sent in to Canon instead. I not too sure about these shops but if there is miscalibration problems after cleaning done at Canon, you can send in your camera and the lens again for them to make sure they work well together.

Last but not least, a little dust is normal. Any zoom lenses without dust is impossible. In fact, new lens also have dust. And according to some feedbacks, lens may come back with more dust elsewhere than it orginally has after cleaning! Imaging spending about $80 on cleaning, the next day you go shooting in the outdoor, dust back again! More often than not, they wont affect your image unless it is really big big.

portal28 said:
Hi guys, I have a Canon 17-85mm which has some dust inside the lens. It can be seen when I look through the front glass. Is there anyway for this to be cleaned? How much would it cost? The lens is already out of warranty so I'm wondering whether any shop or Canon service centre can clean it and what kind costs will be involved.

txv611 said:
However only P&G (Adelphi), apart from Canon has collimators. So if you sent to some other non-professionals, they may humtam and screw up your lens focusing, or they will simply act as middleman and sent in to P&G anyway.
I believe Service Centre for Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc. have collimators too, not only Canon Service Centre ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

txv611 said:
The correct way of cleaning lens by the pros should be:

1. Check focusing with Collimators first before disassembly, note current setting/positions.
2. Disassemble lens for cleaning.
3. After cleaning, assemble lens and test on collimator that the settings are still the same as per original. Otherwise, adjustments are to be made back to original setting.

Some weeks ago, I enquire the cost of cleaning at P&G and was quoted the same price as what Canon service centre quoted me. Since I wanted to be safer and the cost are similar, I sent in to Canon instead. I not too sure about these shops but if there is miscalibration problems after cleaning done at Canon, you can send in your camera and the lens again for them to make sure they work well together.

Last but not least, a little dust is normal. Any zoom lenses without dust is impossible. In fact, new lens also have dust. And according to some feedbacks, lens may come back with more dust elsewhere than it orginally has after cleaning! Imaging spending about $80 on cleaning, the next day you go shooting in the outdoor, dust back again! More often than not, they wont affect your image unless it is really big big.

Do you mean that it'll usually cost about $80? Do you happen to know P&G's exact location and opening hours?

portal28 said:
Do you mean that it'll usually cost about $80? Do you happen to know P&G's exact location and opening hours?

Adelphi Basement. The place is so small you can't miss it.

solarii said:
Adelphi Basement. The place is so small you can't miss it.

Haha, thanks for the pic :) I'll drop by during my lunch break

kietgnoel said:
Does it affect your pictures? If not, don't bother.

If I do that, is it possible that the dust in the lens get into the body?:eek:

portal28 said:
If I do that, is it possible that the dust in the lens get into the body?:eek:

Yes, but dust is just as likely to get in (the body) when you change lenses, so.........

Status
Not open for further replies.