Lens cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

snappez

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
:cool: Hi, just a simple question. I recently noticed dust particles on the len. The part where it is covered by the lens cover. So, my question is, can I clean it with any non-lint colth, more specifically the one used for spectacles or must I get a special lens colths? If the latter is the case, what brand and where can I get it? Thanks.

sriram

Mar 10, 2002
If it is just dust, blow it away with a blower/blower-brush. You get these for a few dollars. As far as possible don't wipe the lens - unless there is some stubborn dirt. If you wipe hard it will remove the lens coating and could scratch the lens.

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
Like sriram said, just use a blower to get rid of the dust. That being said, a few specks of dust isn't going to affect your final image.

SzennyBoy

Mar 3, 2002
London, UK
www.zen76903.zen.co.uk
That's one of the reasons why many ppl attach either a Skylight 1B or UV filter on their lens. Apart from the glare/flare/UV protection, these "neutral" filters also serve the function of protecting the actual lens' front element.

After the initial cleaning of the lens element and the reverse-side of the filter prior to screwing it on, you'll never (well almost never for ppl who don't play with filters) have to worry about dust on the element itself again! Any cleaning will be done on the filter rather than directly on the lens element itself.

Acieed

Sep 11, 2002
-
www.anduin.net
Hmm, just curious, any idea what's the diff between a "high-end" blower and a normal $4-5 blower? :D

I remember somewhere on this forum, someone recommending a ~$20 blower that is better.

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
Originally posted by Acieed
Hmm, just curious, any idea what's the diff between a "high-end" blower and a normal $4-5 blower? :D

I remember somewhere on this forum, someone recommending a ~$20 blower that is better.
A $20 blower?? That must be one helluva blower!!! Yes, you're better off with the better ones. Small puny ones are a waste of time. They can't get nothing off the lens.

snappez

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I believe blower should do the trick since there is only a thin layer of dust on the lens element.:cool:

chenwei

Sep 6, 2002
Singapore
Originally posted by Kit

A $20 blower?? That must be one helluva blower!!! Yes, you're better off with the better ones. Small puny ones are a waste of time. They can't get nothing off the lens.
heheee... my blower cost me 15... :( i think it's not depends on the price, it's depends on when u use it, u feel how long the blower can last if u keep using it, and the wind is strong enough to blow away the dust or not... :gbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom