lens cleaning options?

heshanj

Aug 18, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
pixelogist.me
hi guys
sorry if this has been posted before, but i'm looking to have some contact with people while asking these questions. i read online a lot about this stuff but really couldn't find any personal experience from actual photographers, so here goes:

basically, i'm looking for a 'wet' cleaning method for my lenses. i didn't have a good experience with the Lenspen, so I'm looking for alternatives. I currently have a giottos rocket blower and soft brush - perfect to get the dust etc. off the glass. but if there are any smudges/fingerprints etc. what would be the best way to clean this off?

i'm looking at specific brands of cleaning products, not coz i'm a brand freak but coz i know that if someone recommends Brand A, i can have at least some trust in that brand

i read about the Zeiss pre-moistened wipes. mixed reviews. some say its great, some say its not so great - leaves behind residue etc.

the other option is cleaning tissue and cleaning fluid. i'd like to avoid microfibre clothes as its rather hard to keep the cloth clean, and this has always caused trouble for me

what would your advise be? zeiss wet wipes? zeiss fluid and some other (brand?) tissue?

thanks guys!

and woah, clubsnap has gone all iOS 7 - couldn't recognize it for a moment - i hope it doesn't turn buggy too hahaha

Isopropyl alcohol.

And it didn't go iOS7, it went windows metro. ;-)

i'm looking at specific brands of cleaning products, not coz i'm a brand freak but coz i know that if someone recommends Brand A, i can have at least some trust in that brand
That's a very questionable approach .. but ok if you think that's right.
I recommend the brand Watsons. They have bottles of 200ml Isopropyle Alcohol and soft tissues, worked pretty well for all cases I had so far.

That's a very questionable approach .. but ok if you think that's right.
I recommend the brand Watsons. They have bottles of 200ml Isopropyle Alcohol and soft tissues, worked pretty well for all cases I had so far.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, I guess it's not the best way of getting information, based on recommendations - but I didn't mean it literally - what I meant was that if some of you experienced guys have used a particular brand for years and you've had good results, it's a good way for me (still a relative newbie) to follow, right? :D

and oops, Windows Metro it is. Too much iPad and PC use, got confused

I was thinking of getting these 'wet' wipes for lenses, but I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this. I guess i'll just go for a isopropyle alcohol/tissue combination

Thanks

Here is what I use at home and at work.

I use the stuff described below to clean high power laser optics and my photographic lenses.

1) Eclipse optic cleaning fluid
2) PEC pads or Kimwipes

Great for cleaning stubborn dust & water spots from optics and is streak free.

For oily finger prints, nothing works better than this combo

1) Lens clean from Visibledust
2) Visibledust magic cleaner (micro fiber cloth)

After cleaning the optic with lens clean solution and the micro fiber cloth, clean it with the Eclipse cleaning fluid and PEC pad. It leaves a shiny and clean optic.

If you are buying IPA or ethanol from pharmacies please check them for purity, most of them are mixed with water & additives. They may leave stains or streaks on the optic.

Most tissues leave lint, except PEC pads & Kimwipes.

If you need to source it cheaply, you can buy reagent grade methanol and Kimwipes from local lab supplies company.

Here is what I use at home and at work.

I use the stuff described below to clean high power laser optics and my photographic lenses.

2) PEC pads or Kimwipes

Great for cleaning stubborn dust & water spots from optics and is streak free.

For oily finger prints, nothing works better than this combo

1) Lens clean from Visibledust
2) Visibledust magic cleaner (micro fiber cloth)

After cleaning the optic with lens clean solution and the micro fiber cloth, clean it with the Eclipse cleaning fluid and PEC pad. It leaves a shiny and clean optic.

If you are buying IPA or ethanol from pharmacies please check them for purity, most of them are mixed with water & additives. They may leave stains or streaks on the optic.

Most tissues leave lint, except PEC pads & Kimwipes.

If you need to source it cheaply, you can buy reagent grade methanol and Kimwipes from local lab supplies company.

Thanks so much for all that information - exactly what I was looking for!

Yes, I was thinking of getting either Zeiss cleaning fluid or Eclipse. As for the tissue, I was looking at Tiffen tissue - or Kimwipes, as you recommended. or PEC pads, which I didn't know about!

Thanks again. Really appreciate it

2) PEC pads or Kimwipes
If you check the ingredients you will find that you get the same stuff cheaper as no-brand items. It is some form of alcohol, if not exactly IPA.

Try Lee filter cleaning solution, non alcohol, anti static properties that works with microfiber cloth. Dries clear without streaking. 60ml bottle at $10 each.