Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

satay16

Jan 14, 2006
I have been using 3M lens cleaning cloth, but i am very shaky about it. everytime i rub it on a filter, it feels like rubber on rubber rather than smooth ice. any good suggestions on which good lens cleaning cloth to use? prefer long-time use cloths, not those disposable ones.

and secondly, lately, i bought a hoya R72. seeing some dust on the inner glass of the filter, i used my 3M cloth to wipe it. to my horror, every wipe i applied, scratches appear!!!:eek: any infrared users also experience this problem? is the filter so senstive to touch? or is it just my cloth?

thanks!:) merry christmas.

i do not use the same hoya filter as u, but i must agree that hoya filter surfaces are very very sensitive.... just a simple wipe can easily produce scratches...But luckily there is no effect on my images..

My nikon filter doesn't give me such headache though...

i do not use the same hoya filter as u, but i must agree that hoya filter surfaces are very very sensitive.... just a simple wipe can easily produce scratches...But luckily there is no effect on my images..

My nikon filter doesn't give me such headache though...

what cloth are you using?

Hi satay16,

do try using a blower for dust particles before wiping the filter. If the dust comes off, problem solved.

If you must wipe the lens/filter, please ensure that the lens cleaning cloth you use is clean. If there are particles on the cloth, wiping your filter is, of course, going to cause abrasions.

Bernard

Hi satay16,

do try using a blower for dust particles before wiping the filter. If the dust comes off, problem solved.

If you must wipe the lens/filter, please ensure that the lens cleaning cloth you use is clean. If there are particles on the cloth, wiping your filter is, of course, going to cause abrasions.

Bernard

yeah, but some duct are very stubborun. the 3m cloth always scrathes the IR filter, no dust was on it. the cloth was just washed.

Hi satay16,

bummer.

I'm using the same IR filter as you are. So far, using the blower has been adequate to remove dust from the surfaces.

Hope I don't have to use a lens cloth on mine :eek:

Bernard

hmm........have another thought: is a lens pen safer than cloth?

yeah, but some duct are very stubborun. the 3m cloth always scrathes the IR filter, no dust was on it. the cloth was just washed.

Washed may not mean without debris.. 3M cloth is one which is meant to trap dirt onto the cloth. Personally, I have a few pieces of this cloth, but I use them for general purpose rather than on the lens directly.

On the lens directly, I use a Panther Cloth from Kinetronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.