lens cleaning at canon service centre

shadlightsg

Oct 31, 2009
hi
i just found some dust particles in my lens
just wanna know if any bros had went to csc to clean the lens, and how long it took?

pls help

all thanks!

Do you mean ON your lens or IN your lens?

in da lens bro..
dunno how many times i blow it with the blower also cant get it out

in da lens bro..
dunno how many times i blow it with the blower also cant get it out

I've never gone to the CSC to get my lens cleaned. I had fingerprints on my lens but I bought a Lenspen and managed to wipe the lens sparkling clean! :)

hahah.a
sianx leh..
somemore just bought less than a month..
hais..

good for you la..
what kinda photography are u in at the moment?

i just found some dust particles in my lens
just wanna know if any bros had went to csc to clean the lens, and how long it took?
Even if they clean it for you .. you might go home and shoot happily and when you put your lens to rest in dry cabinet you fill find the next dust. What now? Screaming at CSC? Demanding cleaning every week? They will clean again .. and charge again :)
Accept the dust, it doesn't affect the image unless it's forming dust mice. It will come and go with usage and nothing you can do about it.

thanks for your advise bro.

but since it's still under warranty.. i would get it clean this time.
:p

Even if they clean it for you .. you might go home and shoot happily and when you put your lens to rest in dry cabinet you fill find the next dust. What now? Screaming at CSC? Demanding cleaning every week? They will clean again .. and charge again :)
Accept the dust, it doesn't affect the image unless it's forming dust mice. It will come and go with usage and nothing you can do about it.

thanks for your advise bro.
but since it's still under warranty.. i would get it clean this time.
Dust is not a manufacturing defect or material fault. Only these things are covered by warranty. For a sensor they charge SGD 21.50 (iirc). Dismantling a lens takes much more time. Would be very surprised to see them cleaning a lens for free.

Last edited:
oh is it?

then might not go liao lor..
tot it was free since it's under warranty..

Dust is not a manufacturing defect or material fault. Only these things are covered by warranty. For a sensor they charge SGD 21.50 (iirc). Dismantling a lens takes much more time. Would be very surprised to see them cleaning a lens for free.

then might not go liao lor..
tot it was free since it's under warranty..

Please read the term and conditions of Canon warranty. Only this is valid, not what you might wish for.

If it's just a slight bit of dust, I would leave it alone. Dust is everywhere and unless you live/shoot/store your lenses in a cleanroom environment, it's just going to come back and will still not affect your photos.

Sometimes, opening up and disassembling a lens can lead to more problems.

Cleaning of lenses, no matter how dirty, nor cleaning of cameras or sensors are covered under warranty.

wow
thanks for both your enlightening.

what i will do now.. is to take a picture and see if any specks appear on the photo.

thaanks!!!

If it's just a slight bit of dust, I would leave it alone. Dust is everywhere and unless you live/shoot/store your lenses in a cleanroom environment, it's just going to come back and will still not affect your photos.

Sometimes, opening up and disassembling a lens can lead to more problems.

Cleaning of lenses, no matter how dirty, nor cleaning of cameras or sensors are covered under warranty.

Please read the term and conditions of Canon warranty. Only this is valid, not what you might wish for.

what i will do now.. is to take a picture and see if any specks appear on the photo.
Do this. Have a look at what people recommend when checking for sensor dust. You might want to follow this procedure as well. A normal snapshot of whatever is next to you will not be very helpful.

not just any snapshot. take pictures at F11, F22 and higher because any dust will be pretty much visible in such settings.

should it be taken at any thing surrounding me? or just a plain background like white or black or?

not just any snapshot. take pictures at F11, F22 and higher because any dust will be pretty much visible in such settings.

Any plain BG will do.

BTW, I have not seen any photos of spots in photographs caused by actual dust on or inside a lense, taken with the lens in question. Is that even possible, physics wise?

As many fellow CSer already said, dust is every where and it is quite common to have some dusts inside your lens.

As long as the dusts are visible on your shot, don't care too much. If visible then you have two options.... use the dust delete function of the camera (most of the newer cameras has it) or go for cleaning at CSC.

If it is fungus then good luck ;)