Lens Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by Kevin
Wah very "deep" ah! Must save this thread and study slowly. Get a lot of choices with SLR mean soend more more money also right.:(

Anyway, Sam from John3:16 just certify my old Minolta 5xi still useable so I am going to send to Minolta service to demold (service it). How often do you all send in the SLR for service?

If I want to replace my current lens (30-85mm), any recommendation (economical one lah:D )?

Thanks--

If you maintain it well, there is usually no need to send for frequent servicing, maybe once in 2-3 years to calibrate the shutter, etc will be enough.

A good choice of lens to replace that 30-85 would be a Tokina AF 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II. That costs $650 in Cathay or around $400 odd used.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

If you maintain it well, there is usually no need to send for frequent servicing, maybe once in 2-3 years to calibrate the shutter, etc will be enough.

A good choice of lens to replace that 30-85 would be a Tokina AF 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II. That costs $650 in Cathay or around $400 odd used.

Regards
CK
Wah lau! Cheap cheap one also so expensive! YSLee also recommended a Sigma one, he say cheap cheap also $600+.:cry:

Look like I have to stick to myold lens 1st until I master the skill then can apply to my Finance Minister!:(

Moving lens discussion here.... :D

Wah lau! Cheap cheap one also so expensive! YSLee also recommended a Sigma one, he say cheap cheap also $600+.:cry:

Look like I have to stick to myold lens 1st until I master the skill then can apply to my Finance Minister!:(

Sigma!? SIGMA!? :p

Seriously, if you are considering Sigma, get the Tokina. Very, very well built, well designed, well reviewed. This was the legendary Angenieux 28-70 design on license.

$600+ is very good price for a constant f/2.8 lens. You can get the non-constant aperture ones too, but then you might as well stick with your old lens.

Alternatively, get a 50mm f/1.8 Minolta.

Regards
CK

Sigma!? SIGMA!? :p
Oh Ow! Hope I didn't start a Flame

Seriously, if you are considering Sigma, get the Tokina. Very, very well built, well designed, well reviewed. This was the legendary Angenieux 28-70 design on license.

$600+ is very good price for a constant f/2.8 lens. You can get the non-constant aperture ones too, but then you might as well stick with your old lens.

Alternatively, get a 50mm f/1.8 Minolta.

Regards
CK
How much is the 50mm f/1.8 Minolta? Also $600+ or more!!!:eek:

You can drop a Tokina 2 feet above a person's head and knock him unconscious. :bsmilie:

Hi,

Oh Ow! Hope I didn't start a Flame

Nope. Just that I am not a Sigma fan.

How much is the 50mm f/1.8 Minolta? Also $600+ or more!!!:eek:

Nah, I don't think even the f/1.4 is $600. A Nikon AF 50mm f1.8 is $160 or so. Therefore, a Minolta can't be more expensive than that. The 50mm lens of any camera maker is probably one of the best lenses you can buy at a low cost.

Regards
CK

Nah, I don't think even the f/1.4 is $600. A Nikon AF 50mm f1.8 is $160 or so. Therefore, a Minolta can't be more expensive than that. The 50mm lens of any camera maker is probably one of the best lenses you can buy at a low cost.

Regards
CK
That sound good for my wallet, hehe!

If I get a poloriser filter, can I share it with my DC? My current SLR thread is 49mm so need to set-up to say 55mm and my DC will step-up from 43mm to 55mm also.

Hi CK, hope you won't mind to help me on this question.

If I get a poloriser filter, can I share it with my DC? My current SLR thread is 49mm so need to set-up to say 55mm and my DC will step-up from 43mm to 55mm also.

Or should I buy 2 separate poloriser filters?

Thanks--

Hi CK, hope you won't mind to help me on this question.

Or should I buy 2 separate poloriser filters?

Thanks--

Just get the biggest and use step-up rings. Polarizers are not cheap. If you can afford to buy 2, why not just buy 1 very good one. Like a B+W. :D

Regards
CK

Just get the biggest and use step-up rings. Polarizers are not cheap. If you can afford to buy 2, why not just buy 1 very good one. Like a B+W. :D

Regards
CK
:embrass: cannot afford two lah! just to clarify as figure of speech only. Pai seh. the price of the B+W at $118 is like a BMW to me leh.

YSLee, how much is the Nikon? > B+W?

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by ziploc

You can drop a Tokina 2 feet above a person's head and knock him unconscious. :bsmilie:

Yeah, well you can do that with a Sigma too. The difference is the Tokina will be in one piece but the Sigma won't!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Jed

Yeah, well you can do that with a Sigma too. The difference is the Tokina will be in one piece but the Sigma won't!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
How about Tamron? Will it end up like Sigma or Tokina???;)

Status
Not open for further replies.