lens change procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tltan

Apr 18, 2005
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

I have a newbie question to ask. Pardon if this has come out before. But I dont really know how to phrase it for search purpose....

Say I want to change a lens, I would currently do it with the camera facing down at waist level, remove the lens and then keep my body facing down so that dust cant fall on the mirror. Then replace the lens and thats that. So far ok. However, some experienced people and teacher have told me that they keep the camera to their body (stomach) during lens change..mirror facing body..I want to know if there is a difference..or which is a better way.

Also, as I currently only have a kit lens, I would like to know if its a good idea to just leave the lens on all the time even during storage in dry cabinet? Will this affect anything?

Thanks a lot in advance,
tltan

tltan said:
Hi all,

I have a newbie question to ask. Pardon if this has come out before. But I dont really know how to phrase it for search purpose....

Say I want to change a lens, I would currently do it with the camera facing down at waist level, remove the lens and then keep my body facing down so that dust cant fall on the mirror. Then replace the lens and thats that. So far ok. However, some experienced people and teacher have told me that they keep the camera to their body (stomach) during lens change..mirror facing body..I want to know if there is a difference..or which is a better way.

Also, as I currently only have a kit lens, I would like to know if its a good idea to just leave the lens on all the time even during storage in dry cabinet? Will this affect anything?

Thanks a lot in advance,
tltan

No it will not affect anything if your lens is on all the time. Well, maybe storage space..?

Just change the lens as fast as you can. Nothing will go in even if you point the lens mount upwards if you change the lens fast enough. (Not as if you take forever to change ur lens right?)

haha. not forever of course. But heard due to static, can draw dust onto the mirror surface. Dont want to spend money cleaning all the time..although it seems inevitable. haha

:bigeyes:

Theoretically, camera face down at waist level is ok. In reality, dust particles are lighter than air so they are actually flying "around", even if u point your camera face down dust can still fly inside and onto the mirror or sensor.

IMO, dust tends to get into your CCD even u are fast and careful . Why not do a search on vaccum cleaner treatment for dust on CCD on the forum.;)

If the mirror face downwards, the heavier dust will land on your lens rear element. Either way, dust will get into the body so I usually try to change lenses indoor.

my practice is to -

- switch off the cam and place front cap on mounted lense
- prepare space to place dismounting lense
- prepare the "new" lense to be mounted (unscrew the rear cap, but leaving it on)
- dismount "old" lense and quickly switch the rear cap cover from "new" to "old" lense, and mount "new" lense... all in one swift motion :bsmilie:

not too much attention is paid on direction of the body (but i try to min exposure time).

the "old schoolers" who use film bodies would practice turning the body towards there body to reduce any possible risk of light leak around the mirror onto the film... i think...

minimize exposure time. Get the person next to you help you take off or put on the lens cap for you while you change the lens :bsmilie:.

thanks for the replies. Will just try to minimize time without lens or cover for the body.

Vaccuum method abit dangerous to me.....maybe later ahah

tltan

Below are the LCD directive a good and caring photographer should follow

Get a rain coat or poncho those light weight type ...

The LCD directive .

"Lens Changing Discipline"

Phase 1
1) Sling camera/cameras over yr neck
2) Cover yrself with the rain coat/poncho
3) Zip up seal yrself from the outside

Phase 2
4) Proceed with lens changing position
5) Draw lens from bag , uncock rare lens cap
6) Uncock body lens cap / remove lens from yr body
7) Hold breathe for 2 sec so as not to blow out excess dirt/dust
8) Swap !!!

Phase 3
9) Uncock front lens cap
10) Turn power on
11) END.

hope this help :)

might as well, bring vacuum cleaner around to suck up any dust around before change lens
haha

nice and interesting suggestions!

cheers,
tltan

lol :bsmilie: normally to be frank i change my lens inside my big tote bag ;)

S11loop said:
lol :bsmilie: normally to be frank i change my lens inside my big tote bag ;)
That'll slow down your lens changing procedure.

I just take out new lens, uncap the new lens, put it beside the camera body, unmount the existing lens and immediately mount on new lens. only ±1sec to change the lens..:sticktong :sticktong

I shoot every weekend and i am not as rich to send my my body for cleaning every month and i dont do half fark things :bsmilie:

Cactus jACK said:
my practice is to -

not too much attention is paid on direction of the body (but i try to min exposure time).

the "old schoolers" who use film bodies would practice turning the body towards there body to reduce any possible risk of light leak around the mirror onto the film... i think...

light leak? Hahahhah, what are the shutter for?

+evenstar said:
That'll slow down your lens changing procedure.

I just take out new lens, uncap the new lens, put it beside the camera body, unmount the existing lens and immediately mount on new lens. only ±1sec to change the lens..:sticktong :sticktong
I do the same, too. Just make sure the camera is not moving too much and not in the wind while changing as the movement of air may bring dust into the F-mount cavity. I think most of the time, dun have to be overly concerned about dust when changing lens, unless you're in a very dusty environment like industrial places. Also make sure the lens' rear end is clean to start with. I'll rather get the shot, than worry too much about dust and missing the moment.

I like to use canned compressed air to blow dust off the CCD. Works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.