Lens Cap maintenance

human1969

Jan 11, 2010
Hello,

Rear lens cap can be wash and dry off easily. (correct me if wrong)
Anyone have experience taking apart Front Lens Cap for cleaning ?

From googling,
understand some Front Lens Cap have metal spring conceal inside which can rust if washed.
http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/14894/how-to-remove-sand-from-the-lens-cap

Not sure if this apply to the newer 'pinch type' caps as well,
Or anyone is aware any brand using 'All Plastic' Front Lens Cap that is safe for washing ?
I'm using mostly Sigma Lens Cap (they are the cheapest among brand name)
Dont see any metal part though i haven't taken them apart.

Also, any possibility of fungus growing on lens cap ?

Thanks

First question is what kind of caps?

Anything with seawater or seasalt like a beach, can cause rust and corrosion to springs, water is just secondary. I've got lenses with the caps caught in rain several times before, don't notice anything about rust?

Mould/ fungus grows on almost anything in our warm and highly humid climate, do you think the lens cap can get away? Anyway, unless you leave your lens naked in the dry cab, otherwise why would your lens cap not be together with your lens?

Last edited:
Rear lens cap can be wash and dry off easily. (correct me if wrong)
Anyone have experience taking apart Front Lens Cap for cleaning ?

From googling,
understand some Front Lens Cap have metal spring conceal inside which can rust if washed.
http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/14894/how-to-remove-sand-from-the-lens-cap

Funny answer: Send to respective service centre for servicing :bsmilie:

Serious answer: If you dropped it in sand/mud or something similar, and had to wash it, one thing you can do to prevent rusting is to immediately grab a hairdryer to ensure the entire thing dries out. There won't be a chance for metal parts (if any) to rust.

Given the relatively inexpensive nature of the average lens cap, and the plethora of generic 3rd party options available, I don't think it's something most people (other than collectors) do much 'maintenance' on. They just purchase a replacement.

Last edited:
correct me if i'm wrong, don't most lens cap nowadays have the "spring" effect via the plastic "spring"? there's no metal on/in it anymore.

Ebay > type "XXX Lens Cap" > click "Buy it now" :D

I don't do it as 'regular maintenance", but have wash caps that fell into puddles and such.
It dries up real fast under a fan, so no issue of rust forming at all.

Hey All

Not quite a collector, but got quite a few spares lying around.
Trying to do a cleanup before i put them back into the active arsenal :bsmilie:

Fyi,
Did remove a Sigma 'pinch-type', unfortunately, its still using the metal spring.
Not sure for Canikon.

Thanks for all the inputs...serious or humor :bsmilie: