Lens/Camera for trip to Tokyo!

swiftyz

Nov 13, 2017
Singapore
Hi All,

I'm new here and I've been taking photos casually as a hobby since 7years ago, but only with an entry level Nikon D3100 with kit lens. Only kit lens because I was a student, still one, without much money to spend on primes or other lenses.

In Dec I'll be heading to Tokyo for Christmas, also gonna visit Lake Kawaguchiko for a day. Any lens recommendation to get or to a whole new point and shoot camera like the Sony RX100(with a lower price range)?

I saw on other threads, the new Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens was recommended to bring to Tokyo. But it costs around $500+-. With that money, I could probably invest in a Sony compact camera I encountered at CEF 17 earlier.

I'm gonna video down my own proposal at Mt Fuji area, so I want to get the best shot/video and still want to go light on my bag and not burn a hole in my pocket, cause I already did for this whole Japan planning trip as well.

Yeah I know Yodabashi Camera sells good stuff, but unfortunately I'll only be heading there a few days after my arrival in Tokyo.

Thanks in advance!

Allow me to summarise the requirements:

a) best shot/video
b) light weight
c) affordable
d) budget (below SGD500)

may I ask what is the issue(s) that the D3100 kit does not enable you to execute your requirements?

Generally if you want to capture some cityscapes, then try to have something that does 15mm on the wide end. (eg. 10-20mm on an APSC camera. )

D3100 is fine imo.
It takes HD quality video too.

Its more a matter of being familiar enough with what the D3100 can do than a new camera imho.

Lens wise, there are quite a few 10-20mm options (a few Sigmas including the 8-16mm and the Nikon one)

I have shortlisted a few mirrorless cameras to purchase.

Fujifilm X-A3, Sony a6000, Fujifilm X-T20.

Any advice?

Edit: I'm not keen on bringing my D3100 because of its weight and form factor. I've shot my friend's proposal video and still photos with my D3100 and kit lens, amazing quality. But to carry it around with me in Tokyo, might be a little heavy. I've done that last year in Seoul, and I'm kind of regretting.

These mirrorless cameras are so tempting because they shoot well and they are light, and their AF speed is faster than my kit lens.

Will getting the 10-20mm really justify over a new fujifilm or sony mirrorless camera?

Last edited:
I'll get fujifilm x-t20 but thats not below $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get the X-T2 ;p

I would get the X-T2 ;p

Noo! Thats waaaaaaaaay off my budget. Okay I think I'm coming down to reality and realised maybe I will just get a 10-20mm or 50mm for my Nikon and get a black rapid strap for easier usage OR just totally get the Sony a6000 with the kit lens. Will either of this work well for my trip? Another important point is I need it for low light at Disneyland!

Last edited:
I bought the Sony A6000 together with the kit lens. I think you will like it, APSC sensor, small compact and light. May not be suitable for people with bigger hands. Price wise is already more than S$500.

Noo! Thats waaaaaaaaay off my budget. Okay I think I'm coming down to reality and realised maybe I will just get a 10-20mm or 50mm for my Nikon and get a black rapid strap for easier usage OR just totally get the Sony a6000 with the kit lens. Will either of this work well for my trip? Another important point is I need it for low light at Disneyland!

sony a6000 is good but u may want to get additional batteries. ;p

maxresdefault.jpg

fuji-superyacht-photographer-56mm-lens7543-1.jpg

sony a6000 is good but u may want to get additional batteries. ;p

maxresdefault.jpg

fuji-superyacht-photographer-56mm-lens7543-1.jpg

Yeah the promo package comes with an extra battery. So I'll have 2. These photos were taken with the kit lens?

These photos were taken with the kit lens?
Well, for some a Canon L lens is a kit lens :bsmilie: - as the first image shows, the picture was taken with Canon 50mm/f.1 L using an adapter.
Be careful checking the price of that lens.. you might faint.

Yeah the promo package comes with an extra battery. So I'll have 2. These photos were taken with the kit lens?

I don't think the promo package include such a lens as a kit. ;p

dscf6101.jpg

oscar210_5_Fujifilm-_900339d31e6f12e7de31e78da7a5c94fori.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks all, I ended up with the FujiFilm X-T20 with the 18-55mm kit. In future I'll slowly invest in more lenses. Their workshop tutorial date is pretty far away, any recommendation on how to get started with this camera?

a) more books!!!! (exposure, composition, etc)
b) more light!!! (off camera flash, etc)
c) more lens!! (yup yup yup)
d) new body! (X-T3??)

I'm reading as much as I can on how to operate it properly!

So based on my expectation on what to shoot in Tokyo(Landscape, street, and Disneyland/sea), would a XF 27mm or 35mm f1.4 be worth it to add to my kit?

I'm reading as much as I can on how to operate it properly!

So based on my expectation on what to shoot in Tokyo(Landscape, street, and Disneyland/sea), would a XF 27mm or 35mm f1.4 be worth it to add to my kit?
Only if you have the need for the wider aperture. In terms of focal length both are covered by the kit lens. Landscapes hardly need wide apertures.

Only if you have the need for the wider aperture. In terms of focal length both are covered by the kit lens. Landscapes hardly need wide apertures.

In my head, I'm picturing my fiance taking portraits with the ring, some with me as well. So for that I might need a wider aperture.

Taking with Mt. Fuji as the background, not sure if I require a wide angle lens.

Doing streets at akihabara, tsujiki fish market, shibuya, etc. Mayb my kit will do.

Disneyland, for low light, a wider aperture might help?

Idk. I feel it might boost my picture quality, but not verrrry much so?

Check the sample gallery on dpreview.com: https://www.dpreview.com/samples/9390985052/fujifilm-x-t20-sample-gallery
Right hand side you see the lens used, you will be amazed what the kit lens can do.
A good picture is composition, exposure, the moment, the story - everything that happens behind the viewfinder. For your situation, many cameras can do that.
The kit zoom lens will be flexible enough to respond to upcoming opportunities, changing lenses in the city is not a good idea (my opinion).
The choice of prime lens depends on your focus and shooting style. 24mm is comfortably wide (to me), wider than 18mm is good for capturing the cityscape.
Maybe you rent a lens first and see what works for you?

The photos look greeeeeeat. I'll hold onto my kit lens for now and check out for any good deal that may come by.