Lens calibration with 7D

davidatw

Mar 26, 2010
I have a 7D, thinking of sending some of my lens to canon for calibration, but heard somewhere that with 7D there is no need to send our lens for calibration as it has a built in function for calibration. I have been searching in Menu, but cannot get any info.

anyone knows if 7D has such function?

How to know if my Canon lens requires calibration? any test tools?

no, my lens has no front and back focuing problem as they are not third party lens. However, i do have doubts whether my lens is at its sharpest, if not sharp enough, then can my 7D self calibrate it, any built in function?

if my 7D do not have the calibrating function, in what situation will i know my lens require to sent for calibration as i do not know if it is at the sharpest level or can it still be improve further if sent for calibration.

no, my lens has no front and back focuing problem as they are not third party lens. However, i do have doubts whether my lens is at its sharpest, if not sharp enough, then can my 7D self calibrate it, any built in function?

if my 7D do not have the calibrating function, in what situation will i know my lens require to sent for calibration as i do not know if it is at the sharpest level or can it still be improve further if sent for calibration.

Irregardless if the lens is 3rd party or not, lens can still have front/back focusing problems.

And if a lens' focus is spot on, there is no calibration you can do to make it sharper.

BTW lens calibration in cameras is also known as Autofocus fine-tune. So if you are not calibrating the focusing, what do you intend to calibrate? :dunno:

Please read your manual more, and attempt to understand your camera.

Irregardless if the lens is 3rd party or not, lens can still have front/back focusing problems.

And if a lens' focus is spot on, there is no calibration you can do to make it sharper.

BTW lens calibration in cameras is also known as Autofocus fine-tune. So if you are not calibrating the focusing, what do you intend to calibrate? :dunno:

Please read your manual more, and attempt to understand your camera.

i do understand that people sent lens for calibration is when their lens image is soft, not sharp, not only because of front or back focusing..:think:

i do understand that people sent lens for calibration is when their lens image is soft, not sharp, not only because of front or back focusing..:think:

That is not considered calibration already. That is call "repair", which means their lens have a much more serious problem than just front/back focusing, a major problem, in fact.

If you think your lens is soft, and has a problem, then send it in. But you have to be sure it is a problem, not just a problem with your technique. And when I say soft, it means it is really really soft. Not you-think-it-is-sharp-but-you-want-it-sharper. If you bring it in, and the service technician, or customer service staff ask you what is wrong with your lens, you need to be able to tell them what is the problem. If you tell them you want it to be sharper, they will attempt to calibrate the AF accuracy first. And if you already have spot on focus, that extra calibration might just throw it off a bit.

Why don't you post a pic where you think it shows that your lens is soft. There are a lot of experts here view your pic and tell you if you need to bring your lens in or not.

And the "calibration" in your 7D, just allows you to tune your AF to adjust for back or front focusing, nothing more.

Last edited:
That is not considered calibration already. That is call "repair", which means their lens have a much more serious problem than just front/back focusing, a major problem, in fact.

If you think your lens is soft, and has a problem, then send it in. But you have to be sure it is a problem, not just a problem with your technique. And when I say soft, it means it is really really soft. Not you-think-it-is-sharp-but-you-want-it-sharper. If you bring it in, and the service technician, or customer service staff ask you what is wrong with your lens, you need to be able to tell them what is the problem. If you tell them you want it to be sharper, they will attempt to calibrate the AF accuracy first. And if you already have spot on focus, that extra calibration might just throw it off a bit.

Why don't you post a pic where you think it shows that your lens is soft. There are a lot of experts here view your pic and tell you if you need to bring your lens in or not.

And the "calibration" in your 7D, just allows you to tune your AF to adjust for back or front focusing, nothing more.

thanks for your point, my lens looks sharp at the moment and no front and back focusing.

Very grateful that you tell me, else i will be going CSC for a pointless calibration.

By the way does 7D able to Autofocus fine-tune 3rd party lens, just curious only.:)

By the way does 7D able to Autofocus fine-tune 3rd party lens, just curious only.:)
You haven't read the manual, have you?
Focus on understanding your camera and taking pictures. You will learn when you came across user errors and technical issues.

You haven't read the manual, have you?
Focus on understanding your camera and taking pictures. You will learn when you came across user errors and technical issues.

ofcourse i read the manual, but it did not state anything about 3rd party lens, only mention the steps to adjust the focusing on the lens. I guess only those who have both 7D and 3rd party lens can answer the question.

ofcourse i read the manual, but it did not state anything about 3rd party lens, only mention the steps to adjust the focusing on the lens. I guess only those who have both 7D and 3rd party lens can answer the question.

Exactly the same way you do for a canon lens. The settings will be saved and next time you connect the lens it will remmeber the setting.

1 thing you must note is this method only works if your lens is always missing the focus by the same distance either front or back. If it is missing focus with a variable nature this method wont work.

2nd thing is blur might not be focus issue.