Lens Calibration Chart

Madmax

Nov 22, 2003
Does anyone know where to get one of this at a cheaper price? I want to check whether one of my lens is sharp.
Can't seem to find it on Carousell or Lazada.

You can use any other lens calibration chart, a tripod and a tape measure.
Print the chart, put it flat on the ground in front of the tripod. Setup trip, lens pointing down at 45 degrees angle to hit the marked center of the chart. Try to get to minimum focus distance.
To get the 45 degrees angle you can use Pythagoras, or as shortcut use the sequence of full f-stops of aperture - Focus distance of 2 meters requires the camera to be 1.4m above the floor and the center point of the chart being 1.4m in front of the tripod center. Just scale according your test scenario.

Thanks for your response.

Will read up tonight. I am trying to check on my Nikon 200-500mm. I need to check the tuning at the 500mm. Seems a bit soft at 500mm wide open at F5.6.
Going to be a challenge pointing at the floor. :)

Very few zoom lenses are sharp at maximum focal length and maximum aperture. It might not be the lens but your expectation ;)

Remember to use a tripod

Got a monopod.

Very few zoom lenses are sharp at maximum focal length and maximum aperture. It might not be the lens but your expectation ;)

Ya. And I am using a Z6 and maybe it is not a pixel peeper when it comes to cropping. I have seen sharp pics in 200-500mm FB forum. I just want to rule out any AF issue on my lens.

Tripod or monopod, switch off the Image Stabilization function. The same also applies to using the lens. The interference of IS and tripod/monopod is a known issue, causing less sharp images.

Does anyone know where to get one of this at a cheaper price? I want to check whether one of my lens is sharp.
Can't seem to find it on Carousell or Lazada.

Took me 5 seconds to find this. Price $115.

You can go to Cathay Photo at Peninsula Plaza and buy it.

Took me 5 seconds to find this. Price $115.

You can go to Cathay Photo at Peninsula Plaza and buy it.

Thanks. Amazon sells it at $87 and I am trying to get it cheaper.

Thanks. Amazon sells it at $87 and I am trying to get it cheaper.

Not sure if this will ship to SG.
US dollar price converted is about Sing$46+

Not sure if this will ship to SG.
US dollar price converted is about Sing$46+

Thank you!!

Got a monopod.

Ya. And I am using a Z6 and maybe it is not a pixel peeper when it comes to cropping. I have seen sharp pics in 200-500mm FB forum. I just want to rule out any AF issue on my lens.

Since you're using a mirrorless camera the Z6 it is unlikely to have front or back focus issue as the focus is on sensor plane. More likely other reasons causing soft images, eg autofocus speed slower than object when tracking, or shutter speed not fast enough.

If you want to test you need to minimize the variables, thus mod daredevil123's advice to use a tripod. Set up on a sturdy tripod, use exposure delay a test and few shots. A quick test can be a few objects on the table at different distances, or a measuring tape or ruler set on an object so that it slopes down.

My own quick test of the Nikon 200-500mm is that at f5.6 it is sharp, only slightly softer than f8 in the centre at 100% magnification

Reactions: Madmax