Lens and Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmondfoo

Sep 19, 2005
Sengkang-er
Hello to all seniors in the forum,

I am newbie to photography. I currently have a Canon EOS88. Wondering if possible, cud some1 enlighten me regarding lens issue and flashgun? Thinking of purchasing a len cause going over to ClubMed Bintan for company function. And of course where to get cheaper one...;p

hi desmond,
maybe u will want to get a mid range zoom lens, 28mm-75mm (or similiar 3rd party lens)
This range should be able to cover most of your shots.
If you have more $$$ to spare, you can buy one that has a constant f2.8.
They are a few such lens on sales at B&S. good luck :)

Thanks vbs1979,

btw where is B&S? Maybe a rough guide how much would it cost for the mid-range zoom lens?
Thanks a million.

Hi Dezmond ,

B&S stands for Buy and Sell, which is a segment of the forum. Over here : http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I was quoted a 2nd hand Vivitar (third party brand) zoom lens at constant f2.8 for $250, but not too sure if it's overpriced. Any comments?

Enjoy your stay in the forum!

Thanks for the fast advice....Thanks a million. How about flash? Anyone to advise?

dezmondfoo said:

I am newbie to photography. I currently have a Canon EOS88. Wondering if possible, cud some1 enlighten me regarding lens issue and flashgun? Thinking of purchasing a len cause going over to ClubMed Bintan for company function. And of course where to get cheaper one...;p

Do you currently have any lenses in your arsenal? And whats your budget for both items?

Hey Dez,

FYI, there is a Straits Times photojournalist also named Desmond Foo. I know him too. U might reconsider your nick unless ur real name is also the same.:)

hehehe...thats my real name...so how can i change my nick so as not to confuse people btw the pro and the amatuer.

n0d3 said:
Do you currently have any lenses in your arsenal? And whats your budget for both items?

My onli arsenal is my newly acquired tamron 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 lens....nothing else. Sound pathetic isn't it? :sweat:

No worries lah, just make sure you don't be an identity thief or fake your identity to be the ST Photographer (e.g. telling everyone else that you are him).

There are 4 million people in SG, no big wonder that you have names that is the same as others.

dezmondfoo said:
My onli arsenal is my newly acquired tamron 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 lens....nothing else. Sound pathetic isn't it? :sweat:

If you are only using your camera for your personal snapshots during the company function, even the kit lens will suffice. Your Tamron will then be sufficient for your purpose. Don't worry about getting top-of-the-line equipment when you can't afford and have no need for it. The built-in flash will suffice too.

If you are helping to cover the event in an official capacity, you'll probably need to brush up your skills more and get better equipment. In any case, your company should hire a professional photographer to cover the event.

BTW, a professional-level lens, say the 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens, will cost about $2.9K new, and a good Speedlite (think 430EX) will cost about $400+++.

dezmondfoo said:

u may 1 2 consider getting a 2nd hand (3rd party brands like Tamron, Sigma should b under $300 incl. lense hood) ultra zoom lense eg 28-200mm zoom range 4 convenience. since u r relatively new in photography dun spend 2 much $$ till later.;)

get a tripod 2 offset d limitations of low-light posed shoots. but u may still need an external flash.

For film camera, I would recommend the Tamron 24-135 SP. Although it is not a fixed aperture lens, the images I got were very sharp and contrasty. At $300-400 2nd hand, it's quite value for money with a decent range for travelling.

Thks. Any comment of speedlite 300EX (if i remember correctly:sweat: )?

You'll be better off with a secondhand 420EX. Around $200-$250. Or you could just fork out another $250 and get a 550EX or a 430EX.

n0d3 said:
You'll be better off with a secondhand 420EX. Around $200-$250. Or you could just fork out another $250 and get a 550EX or a 430EX.

:bsmilie: thanks thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.