Lens and Film help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TME

Jan 19, 2002
Clementi
Need some advice in making decisions by the bros here. I am intending to holiday for 23 days need some good lens. Going to Britain, Paris, Lucerne(switzerland) and Hong Kong. Lots of photos to take. How many rolls do u guys advice? BTW, where to get cheap film. I prefer Kodak and I intend to buy up to 50 rolls.

I also intend to get a wide zoom lens, the Sigma 17-35HX. And I am torn between the Tamron 28-200XR and the Tamron 24-135SP. I would like the extra telephoto option of the longer lens but would like the extra verstaility of the wide on the 24-135 lens. Do u think it is wiser to get the 28-200 since i already intend to buy the 17-35 HX?

Thanks!

1. Bulkload Provia 100F, 400F or Velvia if you can. Each bulk load yields 20+ rolls.
2. Go buy Kodak Supra 400, it's about $5 per roll in packs of 5.
3. What system you're using?

Originally posted by YSLee
1. Bulkload Provia 100F, 400F or Velvia if you can. Each bulk load yields 20+ rolls.
2. Go buy Kodak Supra 400, it's about $5 per roll in packs of 5.
3. What system you're using?

Hello YSLee,

I'm from HWZ myself but i never got a chance to meet u with u guys. Yeah, I am, using a Minolta 505si. So I have to go for Minolta mounts. I like that bulkload thing but those film u quote are slids right? Velvia, etc. I prefer colour print film. Cheaper also. The Kodak Supra 400 - slide? I guess so. Print film is Gold MAX 400. Would u advise that I take ISO100 film or ISO400? I like saturated colours but I understand that ISO100 is going to be 2 stops slower than ISO400. So...........I guess most of my photo-taking will be confined to the day as I am not inclined to sightsee at night.

You must see slide film before you make a decision on it. Once you've seen it, you'll love it!

Supra is Kodak print film. MAX is so sucky I'd wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I'd say a mix of 100 and 400 film would be good. And a tripod always helps.

Oh, for lenses, how about something like the 28-80 f/2.8 Tokina, with some kind of wide angle zoom, like the 17-35 you mentioned? It'll be quite a decent combo, I feel.

You must see slide film before you make a decision on it. Once you've seen it, you'll love it!

Supra is Kodak print film. MAX is so sucky I'd wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Oh, for lenses, how about something like the 28-80 f/2.8 Tokina, with some kind of wide angle zoom, like the 17-35 you mentioned? It'll be quite a decent combo, I feel.

For Tokina, get the older 28-70 f2.6-2.8 which is based on the legendary Angenieux design. It's better.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by TME

Hello YSLee,

I'm from HWZ myself but i never got a chance to meet u with u guys. Yeah, I am, using a Minolta 505si. So I have to go for Minolta mounts. I like that bulkload thing but those film u quote are slids right? Velvia, etc. I prefer colour print film. Cheaper also. The Kodak Supra 400 - slide? I guess so. Print film is Gold MAX 400. Would u advise that I take ISO100 film or ISO400? I like saturated colours but I understand that ISO100 is going to be 2 stops slower than ISO400. So...........I guess most of my photo-taking will be confined to the day as I am not inclined to sightsee at night.

If you value your pictures, don't use Kodak Max 400. It's super grainy, especially if ever so slightly underexposed, and the grain is visible even at 4R size. A lot of us will not use it even if it's free.

For print film, try Fujifilm Superia XTRA 400. It costs only $7 for 2 rolls at Cathay Photo. Preferably rate the film at ISO 320, if your camera allows you to manually set the ISO. The colours are superb. Take a mix of 400 and 200/100 film if you can. If you prefer a lower speed film, try Fujifilm NPC 160 and rate it at ISO 100.

Before you go, try a roll of slide film as well. After you see the colours of slide film on a light box (or even if you hold it up to the light), you will not quite want to go back to print film again.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

If you value your pictures, don't use Kodak Max 400. It's super grainy, especially if ever so slightly underexposed, and the grain is visible even at 4R size. A lot of us will not use it even if it's free.

For print film, try Fujifilm Superia XTRA 400. It costs only $7 for 2 rolls at Cathay Photo. Preferably rate the film at ISO 320, if your camera allows you to manually set the ISO. The colours are superb. Take a mix of 400 and 200/100 film if you can. If you prefer a lower speed film, try Fujifilm NPC 160 and rate it at ISO 100.

Before you go, try a roll of slide film as well. After you see the colours of slide film on a light box (or even if you hold it up to the light), you will not quite want to go back to print film again.

Regards
CK

I know that slide film is good but it is also more expensive and less tolerant of wrong exposures? I also need prints since it will not only be for me but my parents as well. I think I will take Fuji's XTRA then. I noticed that Kodak MAX 400 is also rather grainy when underexposed. I always wondered why...........

just like me :) .. don't think go back to print film again...
;)

Thanks! U will notice that someone also mentioned Fjui XTRA 400. Which is more forgiving at ISO400? THe Supra or the XTRA?

And there has been a budget constrain now that my father found out that I wanted to buy to lenses that costs >1000K not to mention a circ polariser and maybe some tungsten filters. I am now seriously considering The Tamron24-135SP only since it has a sufficiently wide end and a decent telephoto end. Problem is that it wil cost a bit.

Originally posted by TME

I know that slide film is good but it is also more expensive and less tolerant of wrong exposures? I also need prints since it will not only be for me but my parents as well. I think I will take Fuji's XTRA then. I noticed that Kodak MAX 400 is also rather grainy when underexposed. I always wondered why...........

Yup. Kodak Max 400 have super big grain, and intolerant of underexposure (not even 1 stop). Give the Superia XTRA 400 a try (before you go, see if you like it).

Slide films are actually cheaper overall, as you don't have to print each individual frame.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Ninja

I never try slide films before as I always thought more expensive. Interested to try but don't know how, so appreciate any answers for my queries :
1. Which slide films do u recommend and how much are they?
2. Where to process slide films, how much is the processing fee?
3. Can it be develop to prints? How much?
4. Have to buy slide projector? Necessity?

1. You can try Fuji Provia 100F, cost is $8.80 per roll, or Sensia II at $7+.

2. Slide films can be processed by the bigger labs. Developing costs $4-6 depending on the lab used. Mounting is additional $4 or so, but you can buy a box of slide mounts and mount them yourself.

So at this point, you see that slides cost you maximum of $18.80, minimum of ~$11.

If using print film:
Fuji Superia XTRA 400 - $3.50
Processsing : $3.50
37 x 4R prints @ $0.35 each : $19.95.

3. Slide to print is super expensive, costs $1 per 4R. Most people don't print.

4. Not necessary to have slide projector. Most people here uses a small lightbox and a loupe (magnifier).

Regards
CK

1. I use the following slides
- Kodak Elitechrome Extra Color 100 -> take scenery , animals and insects
- Fujifilm Velvia -> take animals and insects
- Fujifilm Provia 100F -> take pple

2. RGB Color lab - $4.80 per roll of slide
3. slide to 1 4R = $1.00 .. more expensive than negative film
4. have not try it yet . So far I use loupe and lightbox to view slides . The quality is SUPER !!!

I never try slide films before as I always thought more expensive. Interested to try but don't know how, so appreciate any answers for my queries :

1. Slide films: Provia 100F - $8.80, Velvia - $9.80, Sensia - $6.80, Kodak EliteChrome 100 - $7.00 ($60 for 10 rolls). Megaweb summarized when to use what. :)

These might help.

http://www.photo.net/photo/film

http://www.photographyreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

2. Processing? Almost every processing shop. But it can take anywhere between 7 working days (read 1.5 weeks) to 1 hour.
KJ Photolab at Tiong Bahru Plaza, 2nd floor does it at $4.05 (after a 10% discount) in 1 day. These are unmounted slides and come only with the positive/negative protectors. Mounted slides will cost you between $9.90 and $9.00. These are individual slides cut and framed in a hard plastic mount.

3. Yes, $1.00 for loose, single slides. If you wanna develop for the entire roll it's cheaper.. around $0.50 each me think.

4. Got extra money to burn, sure! But it's not a necessity. A lightviewer/lightbox and a good loupe would be sufficient. Bought me a Hakuba 5700 during the last SEED. Cost me $90 from FotoGuide. Served me well thus far. Running on 4 X AA batts. Using rechargables. Depends on budget actually.
For loupes, get the Rodenstock 4x Aspheric. Got money get this http://www.schneideroptics.com/loup...pe_brochure.pdf
;p

Thank you ckiang and megaweb.

Regarding loupe and lightbox,
1. Which of these you recommend?
2. How much?

If Slide is really really that good that will make people decided not to go back to prints ever again, then I should seriously take a look at it.

Thanks guys.

welcome :) .... the best is you join us for the SEED , we can show you the QUALITY OF THE SLIDES ... :devil:

BTW , I am using
- *Kaiser Leucgtplatte Slimlite Lightbox ($55-$65)
- 8x PEAK Loupe ($50-$55)

* 1 thing I do not like my lightbox is it uses 6x AAA batt ... cost me a lot for getting AAA rechargable batt

I think I will stick to negative print film. BTW, how much is the Supra 400? I must try a 24-roll of Xtra from Fuji then.

Thank you ckiang and megaweb.

Regarding loupe and lightbox,
1. Which of these you recommend?
2. How much?

If Slide is really really that good that will make people decided not to go back to prints ever again, then I should seriously take a look at it.

Thanks guys.

A lot of the people here uses a Cabin 5x4" lightbox. Not sure how much that cost. I am personally using a Kaiser 5x7" Slimlite which I got from my friends for my birthday last year :) so I don't know how much that costs either. The Hakuba one which rochkoh mentioned is pretty good too. Anything bigger than that is going to cost a lot.

For the loupe, those $10 ones are quite bad. A reasonably good one is a Peak 8x, which costs $55 from Cathay. This is the one I am currently using. A very good one will be the Rodenstock 4x Aspheric which costs $190 according to Cathay's latest equote I got yesterday. Like rochkoh said, money no object then buy the Schneider.

Generally, the 4x ones are sharper and have less distortion. 8x and above ones are for close examination of a portion of the slide, and are said to have not as good sharpness and more distortion at the sides.

Regards
CK

A very good one will be the Rodenstock 4x Aspheric which costs $190 according to Cathay's latest equote I got yesterday.
Errmm.. Cathay has an ongoing promotion at the moment which bundles the Rodenstock together with the Cabin light panel for the price of the Rodenstock. ;)
(for the benefit of those who don't know, the prices in the equote exclude GST)

With prices like $190 for a loupe, isn't it better to buy a cheap slide projector then?
Not when you are going to check for sharpness and other details. For that, you'll need a loupe (probably a 6x or 8x loupe) and a light panel.

With prices like $190 for a loupe, isn't it better to buy a cheap slide projector then?

Nope. The loupe allows you to look closely at the slides, to evaluate colour saturation, exposure, sharpness, contrast, etc. A projector does not offer that, it's for projecting the slide for general viewing only.

Quality of the slide viewed through a light box via a good loupe is unbeatable (provided your slide is well exposed of course). It's so good that Phillip Greenspun of photo.net said, "When you see the sharpness and color saturation of your images through the Schneider loupe, you will quit your day job."

http://www.photo.net/photo/evaluation

Regards
CK

wah so chim ... ;)

in simple explaination , view slide thru loupe and lightbox is like you are down there viewing the object / scenery .... very detail and realistic ...

Status
Not open for further replies.