Lens and Film help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Ninja
Thanks guy.

hmmm...if I really going to dab into slides, then I need to invest about $130 for a PEAK loupe + lightbox , $150 for a Hakuba loupe + lightbox, or $190 for a good Rodenstock 4x Aspheric loupe with free lightbox.

Which one better ?

My skills is just elementary ulitmate beginner, to early venture into slides?

By the way, anyone has good experience in black & white photography?

1. Any recommendation for b/w print films? How much?
2. Good lab that process b/w negatives? Rates?
3. recommendation for b/w filters mainly for people, travel photography that consist people.

Thanks in advance.

Go for the Rodenstock 4x with free lightbox. At $190 it's a steal. You won't regret it.

I used to do B&W myself in the school darkroom ages ago, haven't done any since. You can try the popular B&W films by Ilford (e.g. FP4, HP5 etc) or Kodak (e.g. T400CN, Tri X etc). Not sure what's their current price now.

Most pro labs will do B&W processing, charges are slightly higher than colour if I am not wrong. Especially for printing.

For filters, try a yellow filter, or a orange/red if you want darker skies.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by rochkoh
The Rodenstock+lightbox set is while stocks last.

Schneider 4X loupe selling for $190. Ouch.

Hi

I would recommend at least an 8x loupe for 35mm. Least at that magnification its equivalent to an 8R print, so if the slide aint sharp under the loupe, dun bother enlarging it.

Mine's a Peak. Good enough I would say.

Well, anyone can show me personally how your lightbox works, let me buy you beer!;:D

instead of a lightbox, can we just use a switched on scanner instead? then just buy the loupe to view the slides off the scanner? :D

i understand that there is another kind of loupe which we do not need to press our eye against..
somthing like a magic crystall ball but halved.
what do we call that..
is that better because we can see from quite far away..
i mean you pu t the slide on the light box and then put the loupe over the slide and then can see whether sharp or not from your sitting position.. no need to bend down.

Originally posted by street
i understand that there is another kind of loupe which we do not need to press our eye against..
somthing like a magic crystall ball but halved.
what do we call that..
is that better because we can see from quite far away..
i mean you pu t the slide on the light box and then put the loupe over the slide and then can see whether sharp or not from your sitting position.. no need to bend down.

I think you are referring to the slide viewer? You put the mounted slides at the top holder, push and pull a level to slot the slides in one by one to view them, and the finished slides will drop to the bottom holder. It can't view unmounted slides though.

Originally posted by megaweb

just like me :) .. don't think go back to print film again...
;)

Mega let me see his slides once and now I own a SLR+lightbox+loupe(mega's)+rolls of slides ;p

See already buai tahan... must take take take!

Status
Not open for further replies.