Lens and Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scars

Dec 8, 2007
Hi
What should we do to our len after using it ?
Do we put it back to dry cabinet straight away?
Or do we need to do something esle before that ?
I always thought that Dry carbinet is supposed to dry lens, so even when my len is wet, I also put it inside the cabinet???
Is that wrong?

Lens get wet???

I often clean my lenses and stack them on my lens rack for access if I go out and shoot often. If I know I won't be using that specific one for more than a week, then it would end up in my dry cabinet hovering between 40-45% humidity.

Hi
What should we do to our len after using it ?
Do we put it back to dry cabinet straight away?
Or do we need to do something esle before that ?
I always thought that Dry carbinet is supposed to dry lens, so even when my len is wet, I also put it inside the cabinet???
Is that wrong?

Well, if you want to take care of your equipment more, clean them before you put them back into the dry cabinet.

A dry cabinet is meant to keep your equiment in a controlled environment of a preset humidity setting which you desire. It's not meant to dry off wet items (though it can do so over a long period of time) as it takes time for it to remove the wetness from the equipment. Also doing so will make you dry cab work harder for a longer period of time.

Lens get wet???

I often clean my lenses and stack them on my lens rack for access if I go out and shoot often. If I know I won't be using that specific one for more than a week, then it would end up in my dry cabinet hovering between 40-45% humidity.

From 40 to 45% humidity?, isn't to dry, especially for AFS lens, it may make then len become stiff, according to the instruction(of the dry cabinet manufacture) the recommend humidity for len is 45 to 55%
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Thanks

I do think so. But mine's big and I open it often, so far I don't see any damages on my FD one to indicate dryness. It may hover between 40-45 but once I open it, it pops up to 45-50, especially since I just leave my video recorders, cameras, tapes and CDs inside as well...

I put mine at 45%. It flunctuates between that value and 47-48% depending on how long I leave the door open.

Status
Not open for further replies.