Lens age....does it matter?

clickerz

Canon L lens have lens code indicating the year it was manufactured. As a general, do lenses age matter? Does the optic drop in quality over the years?

inside PCB, elect components & lens coating may degrade, wear & tear of mechanical parts. but more importantly, is how the lens was used, maintain & kept by the previous owner/s.

Canon L lens have lens code indicating the year it was manufactured. As a general, do lenses age matter? Does the optic drop in quality over the years?

Depends.. i will be more concerned over those with VR/IS inbuilt and probablity of SWM failing..

Not for AFD lenses (non-cpu) though in which AF are screw driven by the motor of capable cams.

So are Manual lenses... (AIS).. those are built to last, and when taken gd care of.. they should still deliver.

I have a overseas friend using the Nikon AFD 28mm f1.4 (10 years old) and images out of it is still nth short of "wonderful"

Last edited:
probably what u might want to take note of is sometimes the lens have issues and gets recall. the lens code will help u keep track of faulty lenses.

also, if the lens code tells u its a 10yrs lens, the seller tells u still under warranty:think::think:

if u are talking about modern lens... yes it matters! merchanics wise... for me i can still accept up to 5 years old for the lenses but not beyond...

but if u are talking about vintage MF lens... i dun think it matters since no merchanics is involved... u probably just need to bring your lens to those shops that knows how to fix vintage lens to oil the blades and a little fine tuning to make it good as new again.

:)

I have 24-year-old lenses that work perfectly up to today... But they're not Canon, so I don't know how the reliability on those lenses are.

My minolta 70-210 f4 and minolta 50mm f1.7 both autofocus lens, are working perfectly on my sony a850.

they are also one of the world's first autofocus lens, manufactured in 1985.

They lasted 25 yrs already, i think they can last 25yrs more.

Minolta lens are made to last. Glad they are working fine on sony alpha dslrs

Last edited:
if used and cared for properly,
IQ won't be an issue, the IS and USM would be more of a concern, and they arn't cheap to replace

The mechanical lenses like the old Takumars, CZ, Russian lenses do seem to work well even if they are 40+ yrs old.

Anyones guess on the new ones with chip and lens motor.

if used and cared for properly,
IQ won't be an issue, the IS and USM would be more of a concern, and they arn't cheap to replace

50 f1.4's 'USM'. 6 mths gone case:bsmilie:

The Nai Nikkor lens seems so sturdy...it was proabably made like in the 60s-70s? haha...optically fine even now...

The old manual Pentax lens >30 years old still can be used in the new Pentax bodies. IQ still good.
One of the lens I owned is more than 40 years old.