Lens advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

May 23, 2004
EAST
Hi guys jus need some advise tat isit good enough to take normal school sport event with the AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED lens on D70? :dunno: thanks :)

Wow, of course it has to be....with that lens!!! Dunno how fast AF is compared to AFS ones, but it should suffice, though track events are just brutal on the AF

Snake said:
Hi guys jus need some advise tat isit good enough to take normal school sport event with the AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED lens on D70? :dunno: thanks :)

More than enough, esp if you are the official photog able to choose your vintage point. If you have the kit lens, take some WA of the spectators, usual shots of anything "happening" lor.

Must have monopod though, whole day event man. :D Good for horizontal panning for those action track shots too.

BurgaFlippinMan said:
Wow, of course it has to be....with that lens!!! Dunno how fast AF is compared to AFS ones, but it should suffice, though track events are just brutal on the AF

If using big apertures, then you may have quite a lot of "misses" i guess. One of my technique (rather, what i read from other sports shooters) is to trap the AF while panning or at an exact point (eg finish line, corners). I have only taken cars racing around, not humans though, but shouldn't be a problem since cars are inherently faster than humans. :D

Use AE-L/AF-L mode in CSM and set for AF, this causes the cam to focus at the active AF point (i use the center pt) when the AF-L/AE-L button is pressed. Aim/compose and then press the shutter to initiate "trap focus". When something crosses the active AF point and is in focus, the shutter trips.

Eg, you press AF-L/AE-L button on the hurdles and cam AFs. Recompose at the space above or near it, then press shutter. Of course make sure you do not cross any object which trips it lar. Runner comes along, you pan and get it in the AF bracket, the shutter trips. Swee. Nothing is fool-proof, not even the fastest USM focusing in the world, this increases your chance and is a technique so do practise it. :)

Either that or AF first at an interesting point, switch to manual, and shoot when anything is in the focused distance lor. :D

2100 said:
If using big apertures, then you may have quite a lot of "misses" i guess. One of my technique (rather, what i read from other sports shooters) is to trap the AF while panning or at an exact point (eg finish line, corners). I have only taken cars racing around, not humans though, but shouldn't be a problem since cars are inherently faster than humans. :D

Yeah, prefocus, if AF is not fast enough. Frankly, its much more difficult for the camera to focus if you are standing right by trackside...but then again, thats a telephoto, so u should be far away enough right?

BurgaFlippinMan said:
Yeah, prefocus, if AF is not fast enough. Frankly, its much more difficult for the camera to focus if you are standing right by trackside...but then again, thats a telephoto, so u should be far away enough right?

Far away, people block lar. ;p 80mm for shortest is good.

Snake said:

Needless to ask, it is a damn good lens to go with D70 .. ;)

The kit lens is good enough for taking prize presentation ad group shots .. :)

Thanks guys .. great information that given. thanks alot :cheergal: :cheergal: :cheergal:

the lens is more then enuff lo...its IF-ED VR rite....its like my dream lens....haha..

Witness said:
the lens is more then enuff lo...its IF-ED VR rite....its like my dream lens....haha..

No VR on the 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D ED.. VR only on the 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR..

Lol, its still worth dreaming about...:)

Snake said:
Thanks guys .. great information that given. thanks alot

Enjoy your shooting. Remember, it's boils down to the technique and skills, not the lens in this case. :) A D2H with AF-S lens wouldn't have helped much if it is lacking fundamentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.