Lens advise needed . Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kultchris

Jan 28, 2004
Hi all ..

I am thinking of getting another lens for my canon 400D .. hope to get smth with wide angle lens ..was thinking of getting the 18-55 is lens .. however there is no wide angle in it right ? I am a total noob at these . I know for compact cams the wide angle usually is abt 28mm .. I hope to get smth ard tat range . The cheaper the better as budget's a contraint .. Thanks :)

Hi all ..

I am thinking of getting another lens for my canon 400D .. hope to get smth with wide angle lens ..was thinking of getting the 18-55 is lens .. however there is no wide angle in it right ? I am a total noob at these . I know for compact cams the wide angle usually is abt 28mm .. I hope to get smth ard tat range . The cheaper the better as budget's a contraint .. Thanks :)

Your 400D has a crop factor of 1.6, so your effective range in 35mm format is 18*1.6 = 28.8 to 55*1.5=88. Hence, your range in 35mm format is 28.8-88mm. Hence, you do have wide angle. When you shoot at 18mm on your lens, you will see the "wide angle" effect on it. You already have that range. However, if you want to go wider, then the Canon 10-22mm lens would provide you the ultra wide angle... which in 35mm format is 16-35.2mm, which is a very good range to shoot with.

thanks dotaboy !

thanks gerald ! .. actually got the 18-55 .. just dunno should get the one with IS not .. anyway thanks again for the great advice :)

thanks gerald ! .. actually got the 18-55 .. just dunno should get the one with IS not .. anyway thanks again for the great advice :)

IS provide produce less blur.
If your wallet is feeling heavy and willing to splurge then go ahead:)

Your 400D has a crop factor of 1.6, so your effective range in 35mm format is 18*1.6 = 28.8 to 55*1.5=88. So, your range in 35mm format is 28.8-88mm. Hence, you do have wide angle. When you shoot at 18mm on your lens, you will see the "wide angle" effect on it. You already have that range. However, if you want to go wider, then the Canon 10-22mm lens would provide you the ultra wide angle... which in 35mm format is 16-35.2mm, which is a very range to shoot with.

Then shouldn't he get the sony 35mm 1.4g?:D

Hi all ..

...huh? you need to read up more about photography, really, especially if you wish to use technical terms and understand what you are buying.

for canon 400d, as someone else has mentioned, the crop factor is 1.6x. the smaller the value of the focal length (we usually standardize in 35mm terms, if you don't understand this, never mind, think of it like converting cm to inches blah blah blah) the wider the lens is.

in that case, 18 x 1.6 gives you 27 or 28 or 29 (too lazy to calculate exactly), which is considered wide angle. basically, the "normal perspective" is about 50-70 mm.. almost what you would see with your eye from your position. anything below 50 is usually considered wide angle, and anything beyond 70 is telephoto. simple as that.

if budget is a constraint - then i have a question for you. why do you want to get 18-55 is when you already have 18-55 kit? are you getting a lot of situations where you feel like you need is? or do you just have this burning desire to throw money out of the window, as harsh as it sounds? asking yourself whether you can justify the purchase, especially when "budget is a constraint".. is important, like it or not.

i admit i dunno much about photography .. got the 400d kit as a gift from my aunt . Was thinking of selling the kit lens 18-55 to get the one with IS .. I am still learning . Thanks to all whos been helpful :)

i admit i dunno much about photography .. got the 400d kit as a gift from my aunt . Was thinking of selling the kit lens 18-55 to get the one with IS .. I am still learning . Thanks to all whos been helpful :)

In the shorter range, IS is not as important as compared to long telephotos. In long telephotos, e.g. at 200mm, one small movement of your hand means a large "shake" in your pic... and it would go blur. My advice is to use the kit lens first... learn all you can about photography, exhaust what you can do with the kit lens... then progress from there. You will then find what are the ranges you like to shoot at... and you will also find your "tastes" does change along the way as you learn more. Don't go buy another lens at this time... maybe getting a flash would be more important than another lens, or get a telephoto to complement the range which you already have.

But if you really must buy a lens... you are welcome to buy me one! :bsmilie: (ok... just kidding!)

Sadly, the kit lens is quite worthless, so you selling it to finance a new lens wouldnt really be a useful idea. Personally, I use the kit lens and I'm fine with it. Went to spain to take a couple of shots with the kit lens, and I figurered out the camera more, and I found out what kinda lens I want to buy.

BEfore I left, I was seriously considering the sigma 80-200 OS, because i thought i would like to zoom alot.

After I came back, I ended up looking more towards wide angle, as I like to photo architecture.

Also planing to get a 50mm f1.8 this weekend.

wat does the 50mm f1.8 do ? pls advise .. does it make the wide angle bigger ?

wat does the 50mm f1.8 do ? pls advise .. does it make the wide angle bigger ?

50mm f/1.8 is a prime lens with a focal length of 50mm and maximum aperture of f/1.8.

Well, it's a popular lens due to the fact tat it's a CHEAP and relatively fast lens at a focal length which is popular for the 35mm film format.

Currently with the crop factor of 1.5 or 1.6, it translates to a crop focal distance of about 75mm or so which is still good for general portraitures.

thanks for ahh the advise ! will go check it out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.