Lens advice....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrkcw

Jan 5, 2008
im using nikon D60 kit lens...and im new in photography...im so confused with the figure og lens like say example 50mm f1.4 ,12-24mm f4.0, AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ,AF 20-35mm F2.8D ,17-35mm f/2.8
...so my question is wht for to get say 17-35mm since i got 18-55....so i feel 18-55 better than 17-35 is because tcan zoom longer...and wht is the purpose to get 18-70mm, and 20-35mm and so on...i really dun knw all this things....thx for all the person who give me advice...im planning to get 18-200mm...jst wonder nikon VR better or sigma 18-200 OS better???

Decide what you want to take pictures of. Then from there, you can decide which lens is suitable. Each type of lens is for a different purpose. The 18-200mm range is an all purpose lens for travelling, so you do not need to carry too many lenses around.

Welcome to the world of photography.

Like felixcat8888 said, different lens is for different purposes. Lenses with similar ranges probably have different optical qualities that affect the final image.

For example, say you're a landscape photographer and you don't usually take close-ups. You'd only need a wide angle lens. So anything above 70mm would probably be mostly unused. So you wouldn't buy an 18-200mm in this case, because even though it's wide end reaches 18mm, the quality of the lens would be different from a dedicated wide angle. How to say? Mmm... the lens design in a large zoom range lens is hard to optimize throughout the range.

Hmm... wonder if you get what I mean? Haha!

Like felixcat8888 said, different lens is for different purposes. Lenses with similar ranges probably have different optical qualities that affect the final image.

For example, say you're a landscape photographer and you don't usually take close-ups. You'd only need a wide angle lens. So anything above 70mm would probably be mostly unused. So you wouldn't buy an 18-200mm in this case, because even though it's wide end reaches 18mm, the quality of the lens would be different from a dedicated wide angle. How to say? Mmm... the lens design in a large zoom range lens is hard to optimize throughout the range.

Hmm... wonder if you get what I mean? Haha!

Hmm...quite difficult for me to understand ...but i tried...anyway if i like to shoot landscape then the wide range is more important than the zoom range???so if i dun knw wht i like to shoot now...better take 18-200mm???sigma or nikon len for 18-200??thx anyway...haha

Decide what you want to take pictures of. Then from there, you can decide which lens is suitable. Each type of lens is for a different purpose. The 18-200mm range is an all purpose lens for travelling, so you do not need to carry too many lenses around.

Welcome to the world of photography.

okie...i like to shoot landscape actually...but i fell tht the portrait is more easier than lanscape...as landscape to wide and dun knw wht should consider to take into the picture..haha...tell me if i wrong..

I love my 17-35mm f2.8-4. it's my general purpose. (street, self pic, candids.)
for potraits i have to quick change to a 50mm 1.8. (wishing to go 1.4 soon)

my last lens is too heavy and too slow for my feeble hands. so my 18-135mm is hardly out of the dry box. the VR on 18-200mm is awesome help for that long end.

if you dont need so much zoom then take the 16-85mm vr will do, is a better travel lens than 18-70mm.

If you shoot only landscapes then the 17-65 will do. If you should landscapes and portraits then 50mm/85mm or some mid zoom will be required also. The 18-200 is a good start but with VR even better, but you must be prepared to pay premium for that VR.

But since you have the kit lens of 18-55mm then stick to it first and play around with it. if you have improved and want wider then go for 16mm to 85mm or something like that. I am not a N user so I cannot tell you which N lens is suitable exactly, but roughly only.

if you dont need so much zoom then take the 16-85mm vr will do, is a better travel lens than 18-70mm.

wow....16-85mm is expensive ...rite???but cannot zoom longer....

If you shoot only landscapes then the 17-65 will do. If you should landscapes and portraits then 50mm/85mm or some mid zoom will be required also. The 18-200 is a good start but with VR even better, but you must be prepared to pay premium for that VR.

But since you have the kit lens of 18-55mm then stick to it first and play around with it. if you have improved and want wider then go for 16mm to 85mm or something like that. I am not a N user so I cannot tell you which N lens is suitable exactly, but roughly only.
oic......how abt those lens 12-24mm one???and hw abt 18-200mm suitable for landscape and potrait???thx

oic......how abt those lens 12-24mm one???and hw abt 18-200mm suitable for landscape and potrait???thx

Hi Mrkcw

The 12-24mm is a wide angle zoom lens. The 12mm end will be wider than the 18 mm end of the 18-200mm.
Yes the 18-200mm will be able to take landscape as well as portraits.

I think it will be good to read up on some lens and camera basics ( such as of zooms and primes ) , and also the lens nomenclature of your ( Nikon ) system. In this way it makes your understanding and interpretation more meaningful on this thread as well.

Regards
Ryan

It seems to me that you lack a basic understanding of focal length and the result to your pictures. You may wish to read "Photography Notes For Newbies" to understand what focal length (and many other terms) mean, how they affect the picture and how you can use this in return to achieve certain results. There is no "one lens fits all purposes" and the tempting range of 18-200mm also has drawbacks. Next you may wish to read Canon EOS Beginners' FAQ III - Lenses. That should give you an idea why "16-85 is more expensive than 18-200".
Secondly: learn about the difference between Full Frame cameras, Cropped Sensor cameras, the lenses designed to fit either both cameras or only the cropped sensor cams (in Canon terms: EF lenses and EF-S lenses) and which effect this has finally (-> Field of View). Next step: see what your are shooting and what you want to achieve. Based on this you can search for lenses that support your purpose and you can evaluate whether the lens is value for money for you.

It seems to me that you lack a basic understanding of focal length and the result to your pictures. You may wish to read "Photography Notes For Newbies" to understand what focal length (and many other terms) mean, how they affect the picture and how you can use this in return to achieve certain results. There is no "one lens fits all purposes" and the tempting range of 18-200mm also has drawbacks. Next you may wish to read Canon EOS Beginners' FAQ III - Lenses. That should give you an idea why "16-85 is more expensive than 18-200".
Secondly: learn about the difference between Full Frame cameras, Cropped Sensor cameras, the lenses designed to fit either both cameras or only the cropped sensor cams (in Canon terms: EF lenses and EF-S lenses) and which effect this has finally (-> Field of View). Next step: see what your are shooting and what you want to achieve. Based on this you can search for lenses that support your purpose and you can evaluate whether the lens is value for money for you.

ths....i got so so so much to learn huh...haha...anyway thx for all teaching me these......appreciate so much...

how is this lens sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4..snd hand sell at 150...reasonable???thx
and wht is this lens use for normally...can i say my kit len 18-55mm is wider than this sigma???thx huh

how is this lens sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4..snd hand sell at 150...reasonable???thx
and wht is this lens use for normally...can i say my kit len 18-55mm is wider than this sigma???thx huh

you must go sigma website and check got HSM a not...the page never state so is don't have.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3265&navigator=2

no HSM = no AF on your d60.

lens for AF use on d60 as from nikon section.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380612

the nikon 50mm prime also no AF on your body, need to learn MF in order to use the lens.

you must go sigma website and check got HSM a not...the page never state so is don't have.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3265&navigator=2

no HSM = no AF on your d60.

lens for AF use on d60 as from nikon section.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380612

oic...in photography...i feel that quite confuse in lens a dn a lot of things..haha...thx anyway.

You buy a lens to suit your needs, not get a lens then try find to do something with it.

Since you prefer to shoot landscapes, then a wide angle lens will be good. Usually wide angle lenses have focal length around the range of 10-28mm.
Because you use D60, if you want your lens to AF, you need a lens with an internal motor. Such lenses are represented by Nikkor AF-S or Sigma HSM etc.. Each manufacturer has it's own notation. Go google and find out more.

Lenses are not all about zoom range. A big zoom range, e.g. 18-200mm allows to shoot alot of things, making it very versatile. But you must also consider the aperture, whether it's fixed or variable. Most importantly, the optic quality, the sharpness of images the lens produce.

A fixed aperture, e.g. Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 vs Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6. Fixed aperture are more expensive but gives advantage when shooting under low-light condition.

Because Nikon and other lens makers have their own set of notations, it's good to know what they mean, so you can buy a lens that best suit your needs

You buy a lens to suit your needs, not get a lens then try find to do something with it.

Since you prefer to shoot landscapes, then a wide angle lens will be good. Usually wide angle lenses have focal length around the range of 10-28mm.
Because you use D60, if you want your lens to AF, you need a lens with an internal motor. Such lenses are represented by Nikkor AF-S or Sigma HSM etc.. Each manufacturer has it's own notation. Go google and find out more.

Lenses are not all about zoom range. A big zoom range, e.g. 18-200mm allows to shoot alot of things, making it very versatile. But you must also consider the aperture, whether it's fixed or variable. Most importantly, the optic quality, the sharpness of images the lens produce.

A fixed aperture, e.g. Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 vs Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6. Fixed aperture are more expensive but gives advantage when shooting under low-light condition.

Because Nikon and other lens makers have their own set of notations, it's good to know what they mean, so you can buy a lens that best suit your needs

ermm....okie...understand....but b4 i knw wht i like to shoot...i hav to knw the lens also...rite???haha

i hate changing lens, so i bought nikon 18-200.
Then i realise a fast lens will be good for low light, but also too ex.
Since i am not willing to spend too much, i will just make do with 18-200.
And though i have 50/1.8, i seldom use it because it can only manual focus.
If you want prime lens, get the 50/1.4 instead, even if it is more ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.