Len cleaning kit/solution advice

Fiveten

Oct 8, 2008
Singapore
Hi guys, I've been cleaning my Canon 50mm 1.4 with a Zeiss spectacle cleaning solution and cloth, but I realised that the solution leaves residue and the cloth just smudges it all over...

Any good lens cleaning kit/solution/cloth to recommend that doesn't present the smudging problem? :)

just wondering why u r not using filter. anyways that's besides the point.

there is a technique to clean your lens.

first u need to get a micro fibre cloth.

then apply the solution from the centre and start cleaning from there in a circular motion and slowly make your way to the circumference of the lens.

Hi guys, I've been cleaning my Canon 50mm 1.4 with a Zeiss spectacle cleaning solution and cloth, but I realised that the solution leaves residue and the cloth just smudges it all over...

Any good lens cleaning kit/solution/cloth to recommend that doesn't present the smudging problem? :)

Get a original Lenspen, it is a quick and easy way to remove finger print.:)

BTW the Zeiss cloth is also a micro-fiber cloth.

Original Lenspen for DSLR & above lens
Lenspen miniPro for PNS camera:)

Original Lenspen for DSLR & above lens
Lenspen miniPro for PNS camera:)

thanks :) so if i buy the original lenspen, is the blower and cloth still required?

BTW the Zeiss cloth is also a micro-fiber cloth.

true however i read it as 1) Zeiss spectacle cleaning solution and 2) cloth.

if ts is using zeiss cloth then it is micro-fiber.

thanks :) so if i buy the original lenspen, is the blower and cloth still required?

Yes blower and cloth are essential part of the lens cleaning kit.

Here how to use the LensPen
:)

true however i read it as 1) Zeiss spectacle cleaning solution and 2) cloth.

if ts is using zeiss cloth then it is micro-fiber.

I do not use any cleaning solution to clean my lens. Just Blower, micro-fiber cloth and lenspen.

Some cleaning solution may also remove the protective coating on the lens surface.

TS residue problem is like water stain on the car surface, the solution should not be let to dry on the lens.

That my 2cents worth

Get a good blower to remove dust before using contact methods for cleaning a lens, if dust can't be remove, use the brush from the lenspen. The blower can remove particles that might scratch a lens or filter when wiping it with lens tissue or a lens cloth.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Giottos-Rocket-Air-Blower-Review.aspx
Giottos-Rocket-Air-Blower.jpg

This seems to have a stronger air blast. Pic from artfotowork
Eviteo2.jpg

Cloth no need ah as can you lenspen but good to have also, can use for screen also

The Zeiss cleaning solution and microfiber cloth is probably one of the best, and safest cleaning kits you could get off the shelf.

Almost ALL cleaners, except one which has either import or shipping restrictions, WILL leave some kind of residue behind. It's very easy to remove that residue safely.

And yes, a lenpen is a great tool IF used correctly, with the pre-blowing and brushing. Main drawback is it's life-span is somewhat limited, and becomes very costly.

Here's something I shared not too long ago (edited). Hope it helps.

Folks who comment on Hoya's (or others) difficult to clean surfaces are probably not doing it right, or effectively.

My regime is simple:

1) Blow
2) Brush (add: use carbon fiber brushes, or if you're really really in the mood to pamper, sable brushes)
3) Genuine leather Chamois wipe - one stroke per clean Chamois surface. May use breath.

By #3, usually grease, fingerprints and smudges are gone.

IF the surface is so heavily soiled that step #3 doesn't clear it up ...

4) Zeiss lens cleaning solution on an optical quality CLEAN NON-COATED microfiber - ONLY ONE stroke per clean area of microfiber.

5) Breath and Chamois wipe to remove any solution residue (almost ALL lens cleaning solutions tend to leave some kind of residue or another).

6) Blow

7) Brush (using different brush than step #2).

The only variation is when there's dried/caked mud splatter or dried rain stains, then it's a plain/distilled water pre-wipe before using Zeiss lens cleaning solution.

That's the politically correct methods. In reality, you'll be surprised how safe and effective a clean cotton or drifit t-shirt can be.

Note: The Chamois I use is the Kodak brand - virtually extinct, but still gentler and more effective than most microfibers (even after 20 years). Aside, the Zeiss (several types) and Leica microfibers are among the best I've seen/used/heard of.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660086

Any idea where can we get the Genuine leather Chamois wipe?:angel: