Len Advice for Sigma

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerahteo

Jul 1, 2008
Can advice which lens will be good I want to shoot in low light have two in mind.

Sigma 30mm F1.4

and

Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM

Wonder if the later one will cover a wider scope of shoot such as both indoor and outdoor ?

Can also let me know the market price and where best to buy ?

Thank you

shouldnt this thread be in sigma sub-forum?
go for the prime 30mm f1.4, DOF better than the 17-35mm.
you can check out serialsnapper mass orders, think is about 650.

It depends on what you already have. If your 450D comes with the IS kit lens, then the sigma prime make sense. F1.4 will be a great lens for low light situation. Else you can consider the value for money canon 50mm f1.8.

I want a sigma 30mm f1.4. or a 20mm f1.4. I have a tamron 17-35mm f2.8/4, it's fun at the wide end, but seriously i think f2.8 is not enuff for handheld in the garden shots for birthday parties.

Yah agree and I have read some review canon 50mm f1.8 is sharp in certain extend but the build is poor and that if for user who are switching lens often the wear will be quite substantial as its plastic build. Anyway I have decided to go for Sigma 30 F1.4.

Yah agree and I have read some review canon 50mm f1.8 is sharp in certain extend but the build is poor and that if for user who are switching lens often the wear will be quite substantial as its plastic build. Anyway I have decided to go for Sigma 30 F1.4.

Honestly I think making a big hoohah about the wear is rubbish. Mine looks like it's been through one and a half years of war and it's still delivering good photos.

Thank you for your feedback, actually i caught this idea from some review in the net I would really appreciate if you can give me more info in this lens wonder if it really perform as good as the Sigma 30mm F1.4.

Thank you for your feedback, actually i caught this idea from some review in the net I would really appreciate if you can give me more info in this lens wonder if it really perform as good as the Sigma 30mm F1.4.

Check more than one review in the net and balance between all these opinions. Keep in mind the human nature: complaints are always louder than compliments.
From Photonotes.org: Canon EOS Beginners' FAQ III - Lenses: "The only exception to this basic rule (cheap consumer lenses, Octarine) is the 50mm 1.8 II - plastic lens mount - which has excellent optical quality despite its cheap build quality, because it isn’t a zoom lens like all the others."

From BobAtkins.com - Abstract: Canon EF 50/1.8 lens review (versions I and II): "Given its low price, small size and light weight, the Canon EF 50/1.8 II is a lens you should always have in your camera bag for those times when you need a fast lens or you want to isolate a subject by having a blurred background and small depth of field. It's small enough and light enough that it's easy to carry it around with you all the time. From a price/performance viewpoint it has to be one of Canon's best lens bargains."

From Photozone.de "Cheap really refers to the price tag only because for a price below 100 EUR you get a light-weight, high performing lens. So most affordable may be a better wording here. Naturally you can't expect wonders regarding build quality for this price but the compromises work out better here than with the cheapo kit zooms."

Just to add on. I haven't shot with the 50mm f/1.8 for awhile, but here's some slightly older pictures.

e515bc51b9da852592d44af32259c4d4.jpg

Canon EOS 30D, 50mm f/1.8 II

d70bac1abe61825546b6f8a058b7e474.jpg

Canon EOS 1D Mk II, 50mm f/1.8 II

Ok that is real sharp and cool. By the way I had just gone to SLS Alan PhotoShop and concluded my purchased and the final lens I bought was ..............50mm F1.8 tadaaa. Indeed it is a value for money piece of Lens !

Congratulation on your new purchase. It is a good lens :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.