Leitz Super Elmar - R 15mm f/3.5 (F mount)

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
www.arkitecturalphotography.com
Hi folks, was walking around Peninsula yesterday and came across a nice condition Leitz Super Elmar - R 15mm f/3.5 adapted to F mount. Anybody used this lens on digital bodies before? How does it work out? Did some research and found that its using Zeiss's Distagon design. If its good, could be a cheaper(relatively speaking) and smaller alternative to the 15mm f/2.8 ZF.2. Its built like a tank though. Almost 1kg but is no bigger than an 85mm f/1.4. Thanks!

Curvilinear distortion on the Distagons are usually well controlled. My Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 is quite a joy to use. Save quite a fair bit of time correcting distortions when I edit my photos compared to my 14-24mm.

I tried the lens out this evening in the shop and the camera's mirror actually hit the back of the lens!!! I had previously SMSed the shop owner and was not told of this so I was extremely disappointed that I risked damaging my camera while trying out the lens. Buyers beware.

I tried the lens out this evening in the shop and the camera's mirror actually hit the back of the lens!!! I had previously SMSed the shop owner and was not told of this so I was extremely disappointed that I risked damaging my camera while trying out the lens. Buyers beware.

Woah! is your mirror ok?

The mirror looks fine for now but that's beside the point, I can write off the camera as company asset. I just don't like the fact that such critical information was not disclosed prior.

The mirror looks fine for now but that's beside the point, I can write off the camera as company asset. I just don't like the fact that such critical information was not disclosed prior.

The shop might not even know... Not all shops know the equipment well.

The owner knew. I tested the lens when he was not around. When I got a dark shadow on the bottom of my text shots, his assistant called him and he immediately told her that I got to use MUP. The girl told me he had tested the lens previously.

That's probably it. I'm not going to slap anything on my camera without the manufacturer saying its for F mount on the box. Forget all these adapted crap.

BTW, the shop is My Monster Camera / lens.sg

I have SMSed them after the test and have not received any response.

Which one is the "owner"?

I know there's a young man there, he can be rather attitude at times.

I always see ladies tending the shop.

Anyway, I'm done with them. Damaging my camera was not a biggie but I hate not being told critical info especially when they apparently know it.

don't know. I've only got a phone no. The same no. which is listed on lens.sg for making appointment to assess lenses for trades.

I always see ladies tending the shop.

Anyway, I'm done with them. Damaging my camera was not a biggie but I hate not being told critical info especially when they apparently know it.

I see... That phone number I've called a few times, it's always that young chap that picks up, I can recognize his voice. He's not always in the shop, most of the time are the ladies.

Didn't know they were like that, I've thought that they were good except that young chap. Been there, bought a few things before...

Leica lens for Nikon cameras

USING LEICA-R LENSES ON CANON dSLRs

Actually I have been considering this lens but read an article stating that it need shaving before being usable so I gave up the idea. Anyway check link above for better understanding. Hope it help.

THanks for the links!

This is what I saw in there:
The following lenses can be used only on APS-sized sensor cameras because the rear glass would hit the Full Frame camera's mirror, no surgery solution is possible :

--Elmarit 24mm f:2.8
--Fisheye-Elmarit 16mm f:2.8
--Super-Elmarit 15mm f.2.8