Leica S

Kaikeong

Feb 12, 2013
a
Hi!

Does anyone here owns a Leica S medium format camera system? Would like to hear about it. Thanks.

Cheers

Hi!

Does anyone here owns a Leica S medium format camera system? Would like to hear about it. Thanks.

Cheers

hi kaikeong i was just at the leica shop ion yesterday and played with one. lovely shutter, autofocus and feel and even lovelier bright viewfinder and lcd screen. i feel its ideal for studio work cos apart from the hefty price tag its a bit big and imoh not comfortable to carry around. image quality wise of cos its about the best that money can buy

hi kaikeong i was just at the leica shop ion yesterday and played with one. lovely shutter, autofocus and feel and even lovelier bright viewfinder and lcd screen. i feel its ideal for studio work cos apart from the hefty price tag its a bit big and imoh not comfortable to carry around. image quality wise of cos its about the best that money can buy

The S-lenses - super wow factor from Leica. ;p
But agreed with gtan - size and weight are the down sides. Of course the price as well :D

Cheers!

Hi!

Do you find its heavy to lug around for street photography? I mean looking at Nikon 800E with a lens is equally as heavy. Cheers

Hi!

Do you find its heavy to lug around for street photography? I mean looking at Nikon 800E with a lens is equally as heavy. Cheers

I have the S and carry it around with me alot. The body is not that heavy or bulky if you compare it with a Nikon D4 or a Canon 1DX OR even a D800 or 5D3 with vertical grip.

Having said that, it is still a CCD medium format camera so it will have the shortcomings. Poor high ISO, heavy shutter slap, big heavy lenses etc.

I am hoping they release a new version with the newer sensors that have crazy high ISO.

Lastly, the main thing about the S, the lenses, OMG, nothing comes close to the S lenses.

I have the S and carry it around with me alot. The body is not that heavy or bulky if you compare it with a Nikon D4 or a Canon 1DX OR even a D800 or 5D3 with vertical grip.

Having said that, it is still a CCD medium format camera so it will have the shortcomings. Poor high ISO, heavy shutter slap, big heavy lenses etc.

I am hoping they release a new version with the newer sensors that have crazy high ISO.

Lastly, the main thing about the S, the lenses, OMG, nothing comes close to the S lenses.

Hi! Zixam,

Do you use your LEica S for studio work? It is rumored that the new LEica S will come with a CMOS 50mb in Sep this year. Which means ISO performance will be much better.

Why use the S for street photography? Leica have so many other better cameras for that, namely their flagship camera M 240.

Why use the S for street photography? Leica have so many other better cameras for that, namely their flagship camera M 240.

AF, CCD sensor, S lens, Medium Format...

Last edited:
Hi! Zixam,

Do you use your LEica S for studio work? It is rumored that the new LEica S will come with a CMOS 50mb in Sep this year. Which means ISO performance will be much better.

Some studio work.

For studio work, I personally find the setup, lighting etc is more important. You create the ideal situation for the camera because there are alot more variables that you can control and tweak. The camera is secondary.

It is the outdoor shoots that I rely more on the camera because it is often under less than ideal conditions and I often have alot less control over everything else.

I had a chance to play with the Pentax 645Z earlier today (same Sony sensor as the new Hasselblad and Phase One backs I think). High ISO of 204800! Compare that to the max of ISO 1600 for the Leica S. Even if it is realistically usable only at around 12800, that is a huge difference. It will allow the sensor to capture shots that were previously impossible on the older generation CCD sensor.

I can only hope Leica releases something like that at Photokina later this year.

For studio work, I personally find the setup, lighting etc is more important. You create the ideal situation for the camera because there are alot more variables that you can control and tweak. The camera is secondary.

It is the outdoor shoots that I rely more on the camera because it is often under less than ideal conditions and I often have alot less control over everything else.

I had a chance to play with the Pentax 645Z earlier today (same Sony sensor as the new Hasselblad and Phase One backs I think). High ISO of 204800! Compare that to the max of ISO 1600 for the Leica S. Even if it is realistically usable only at around 12800, that is a huge difference. It will allow the sensor to capture shots that were previously impossible on the older generation CCD sensor.

I can only hope Leica releases something like that at Photokina later this year.

Hi!

I believe the new Leica S will be out on the coming Photokina. It will come with a CMOS 50mb which will have a higher ISO and live view. I am waiting for it and if the price is right I may give up my Hasselblad system with the Phase One P45+.

Hi!

I believe the new Leica S will be out on the coming Photokina. It will come with a CMOS 50mb which will have a higher ISO and live view. I am waiting for it and if the price is right I may give up my Hasselblad system with the Phase One P45+.

I hope, but I am not sure because Leica does not use Sony sensors, instead they will most likely use a sensor from CMOSIS, which means it will be about 1 to 2 years behind Sony to the market and have half the ISO sensitivity.

I am not trying to be sarcastic.

I hope, but I am not sure because Leica does not use Sony sensors, instead they will most likely use a sensor from CMOSIS, which means it will be about 1 to 2 years behind Sony to the market and have half the ISO sensitivity.

I am not trying to be sarcastic.

I believe they use Sony sensors with their X1/2 cameras though.

I believe they use Sony sensors with their X1/2 cameras though.

I think you are right. I was thinking full frame and medium format.