Leica M9 and below zero temperatures

brownbagboy

Mar 7, 2012
Hey guys!

Just wanted to ask if it will be ok to use the m9 in below zero temperatures as I was thinking of using it to photograph the aurora borealis...

Has anyone here tried to photograph the northern lights using the m9 with success?

Should I just use my canon 5Dmk 2 instead?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to ask if it will be ok to use the m9 in below zero temperatures as I was thinking of using it to photograph the aurora borealis...

Has anyone here tried to photograph the northern lights using the m9 with success?

Should I just use my canon 5Dmk 2 instead?

Thanks in advance!

Last Dec, I used the M8 in Inner Mongolia, where the temp dropped to -25C. Unfortunately, it stopped working after about 20 min. I believe the M9 uses the same battery as the M8. Fortunately, my M240 worked perfectly. The M240 battery has a larger capacity.

Cameras should work... but batteries "lifespan" is shortened in the cold. Bring extra batteries

At extremely low temperature, the battery internal increases and the output drops. However, once the battery is brought back to room temperature, it functions normally. The focusing and zoom functions in one of my R lenses became stiffer at this low temperature. Others with DSLR have reported the AF became sluggish. But for shooting landscape, AF is not really necessary. You could use chemical heat packs to keep the camera and batteries warm. Of course keep yourself warm as well! Good luck.

Thanks so much fellas… I was planning on keeping the batteries inside socks until it was time to shoot hehe

Thanks so much fellas… I was planning on keeping the batteries inside socks until it was time to shoot hehe

Keep your batteries in your inside jacket pocket so that they are close to you. Your body heat will keep them warm. No use keeping them in socks (unless socks are on your feet already!)

no worries your M9 will work well
i brought it with me to iceland to shoot the aurora

Redsun that's EXACTLY what I was intending to do! Share some pics??

Travel tips too for this would be great lol

Keep your batteries in your inside jacket pocket so that they are close to you. Your body heat will keep them warm. No use keeping them in socks (unless socks are on your feet already!)

Lol yeah... What's clear is really to keep the batteries warm

no worries your M9 will work well
i brought it with me to iceland to shoot the aurora

btw, how long did a full battery on the m9 last you once you put it in?

Theoretically its a question what is the temperature. If it is low enough the chemical reaction of the battery wont happen to create electricity. I cannot remember what temperature is threshold for battery chemicals like lithium. There is alot of literature on the internet.

Thank you
i was using a 28mm

Thanks Redsun.... with a M8, that's about 35mm equivalent. The landscape shots look really wide angle ;)

why not shoot with film? i travel with my m6 and m7 in northern japan during the winter. the m7 doesn't work well deal to the low tempature, while m6 work perfectly since it is a mechanical camera.