Leica M-P 240

vjhonny

Aug 25, 2013
singapore
I've been using Canon 6D + 50mm f1.2L for family, portrait and street photography.

I'm thinking to move to Leica M-P 240 + apo-summicron 50mm.

i know that it might not justify the price and the increase in image quality but it might be about passion.

any comments about my plan?

If you haven't been practising on manual focusing, you could do so prior to the commitment to manual rangefinder cam.
You could also go to the leica store and try out first to see if you really want to go the leica route.

Switching to Leica is the best you could do to fulfill your passion. The quality of the lenses is superb

I heard there's a M240 (non-P) test drive which you can book in for at Leica Stores. No harm trying before buying perhaps.

I heard there's a M240 (non-P) test drive which you can book in for at Leica Stores. No harm trying before buying perhaps.

Leica shops have demo cameras for you test. You can view the shots on the computers if you like to check out the quality. They let you rent a M240 with a lens for $190 a day to try the camera outdoors. If you decide to do a purchase the rental can be used to offset the selling price.

Leica shops have demo cameras for you test. You can view the shots on the computers if you like to check out the quality. They let you rent a M240 with a lens for $190 a day to try the camera outdoors. If you decide to do a purchase the rental can be used to offset the selling price.
Which shop?

Yes, you can offset the rental from the selling price should you decide to buy. Was told this by the salesperson in the Leica shop in Raffles Hotel.

i used to buy it online and sell it back second hand as mint condition. normally you won't loss much. sometimes you can earn a bit too.

I love the IQ of the 50APO and M240. I don't think you should sell your 6D and 50L for the combo though.. Two reasons, first rangefinders aren't for everyone. Second, I don't think you'll appreciate the increase in quality vs the cost of the system. I'm not saying you can't see the difference, but it really takes a keen eye and a obsessive person to want to pay for that difference. Not to mention the learning curve of a range finder setup.

I think most people see a bigger jump in quality (not really quality, but mood/style) going to something like a M240 + 50 Summilux-asph from a Canon setup.
I'd honestly sooner recommend you spend your money on the 50 MPZE lens from Zeiss for your 6D. It'll give you a bit more WOW factor, and it's a cheaper lens then the 50L.. That and you can add the stellar 21ZE and 100 MPZE and spend the rest of your money on a trip somewhere that has better light for photography then Singapore.

IF you want the rangefinder experience.. Then I'd suggest you get the 50 Summilux-asph as mentioned above, because it gives you more wow factor out of the starting gate.. And it's also a tricky lens to learn over the long run, so it'll test your rangefinder patience.

I also own everything, canon/leica, so I am not being bias in anyway. I use both systems for work.. More so the Leica these days, but some clients, I just can't be bothered to use a rangefinder for.

I can also sell you whatever you want, I have it all, if you wanted to buy, just PM me :D

test drive one 1st and see if you like it
or better yet,keep your canon and get a Leica too!
i use a Canon and a Leica
i keep the Canon for when i do wedding assignments but i still bring my Leica along to get a few shots

I bought the M-P because I thought it's the most appropriate body to use with Leica's wide angle lenses(no, adapting Leica wide angles to Sony bodies didn't work for me). Used my Elmar 24mm and Nikkor PC-E 24mm to take the same photograph. The difference in quality is quite distinct, especially in the edges.