Leica: Is this brand worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

third3rdwheel

Jan 10, 2009
Tin Hill
Will paying > SGD8k for an M8 help to improve picture quality? - Of course assuming decent photography skills.

define "picture quality".

How about a comparison between Honda and Ferrari?
Then define driving experience... :sweat:

Possible to rent for a couple of day's then compare? "Similar" lenses to give decent feel for results. Interesting to see pics posted as well.

Ferrari in Singapore = Leica webcam. :D

It's like street racing.

You could get a film rangefinder and "zhng" until it's really pimpin. I'm thinking of exotic leather mods, universal turret finders, slim leather half cases with color and leather to match your camera skin, the ability to switch around and play with many types of films.

That's alike to your.. street racing Mazda RX-8 or Nissan GTR on heavy modifications. :devil:
The Bessa's or Zeiss bodies should match this pretty well. Good technology and you won't be too afraid to put them on the street (pun intended).

OR

A Leica M8, which in terms of picture quality (i think? never handled one before) should produce cleaner images, being digital. Oh, and instant gratification - no more going to the photo lab. In terms of things like color and sharpness you'll have to see what kind of film are you pitting the M8 against.

Unless you have a pretty huge budget, i'm thinking you'll be exhausting most of that money on lenses :bsmilie: Better keep some money for repairs too, digital stuff goes wrong more often than analogs most of the time. Modding might be out of the question, unless you are prepared to keep this camera till it's grave. Somehow, users seem to baby their digital items alot more than the analogs too.

So, this is akin to your top of the line Lambhorgini racer. The M8 IS, the king of digital rangefinding so you might even compare it to a Buggati Veyron :bsmilie:
You'll love the car, pamper it, but you probably wouldn't want to fiddle with it's engines, mod the rims, or custom spray it.

But for ME, as a personal preference i'd still take a film RF. If i truly needed grain/noise free images which is dragging photography closer and closer to imagery perfection, i would just bring out my dslr for it. Film still retains it's special qualities of imperfection. So you've probably heard of the "grain lovers" too :lovegrin:

3k to invest you in a Bessa with decent accessories and 2-3 lenses, 5k to get you an enthusiast level DSLR body with another 2-3 lenses and lighting equips.
That's how i'll spend my 8k if i did have one :lovegrin:

Last edited:
it is still better than buying the simple yet super expensive Vertu

"Quality" in terms of clarity of shot, resolution. Of course comparing apple to apple - in terms of another camera with the same megapixels, and also blowing shot to the same size.

I am asking because there has been this running joke that Leica is just for the rich, rather than really serious photographers, but there are also those who swear by the brand and argue that it does produce better results.

Possible to rent for a couple of day's then compare? "Similar" lenses to give decent feel for results. Interesting to see pics posted as well.

Ferrari in Singapore = Leica webcam. :D

I was hoping for that too - maybe if there is a photo fair or something in Singapore?

maybe not in the mass market kind of way, hopefully like what the Hasselblad group is doing now?

The brand itself says it all. It's worth the money... :bsmilie:

The M8 aside, what about Leica's compact or "lower-end" models?

I've heard the D-Lux 4 being compared to the Panasonic Lumix LX-3 and both share the same Summicron lens, and the D-LUX 4 is also manufactured by Panasonic.

While the Leica does take pictures with sharper edges and more vibrant colors compared to the LX-3, I was wondering if the difference in price (almost double) is worth it for what many dub as the "red dot tax"?

Prices get steep when you upgrade from advanced to premium technology.

It's like getting that extra 1 stop on your sports lens which could mean the difference in hundreds or thousands.
Or maybe that extra sensitive sensor on that spanking new body which gives you extreme ISO's that you'll barely use under normal circumstances.

Prices always take a jump when you wish for that extra edge above the other competition :bsmilie:

Will paying > SGD8k for an M8 help to improve picture quality? - Of course assuming decent photography skills.

I doubt it. You have to take your photography to a different level, use a different approach first.

It always make me wonder... Panasonic & Leica both come out with a similar model (example Panasonic LX3 & Leica Lux4) and people would pay more than 50% more for the Leica model despite the exact body & feature...

If you shoot RAW, does it really make a different between the 2 camera? :think:

I hear that for those two pieces - the Leica and Panasonic are generally similar in design - but that the sensors on the Leica are different. Not true?

Status
Not open for further replies.