Leica D-Lux 4 vs Panasonic Lx 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiNn

Nov 26, 2006
what's the difference in terms of sensor and picture of this 2 compact? the price difference is quite abit too but the specs is almost similar.

theyre basically the same camera

Leica's firmware is different.

but the sensor wise and picture quality, it is also exactly the same?!
which means ppl are just paying for the brand?!
i would have thought that leica's picture quality would be much better compared to the lx3.

what's the difference in terms of sensor and picture of this 2 compact? the price difference is quite abit too but the specs is almost similar.

cos it is a Leica and D-Lux 4 is the son of M8, which make M9 its uncle. You see it all runs in the family. If one is expensive, all will be expensive.

I am not too sure about the history of Leica but it seems that they are sticking to technology that can last a long time - no AF, no IS, full metal construction. So you buy once and 20 years down the road, your lens can still be used on the new Leica camera bodies.

Last edited:
Leica D-LUX 4 is made by Pannasonic. But the supplied software for the Leica version is Capture One 4 (RAW date converter). Of course if they were priced the same no one would buy the Pannasonic Version right? So the Red Dot and Leica branding and different firmware plus the Capture One 4 software sorta makes it a Leica YMMV and so does mine. I have the Pannasonic Lumix LX-3 and couldn't be happier.

How much is the Leica D-Lux 4?
Probably less than two Lumix DMC-LX3 cameras. ;-) Around 1k if memory serves me right (for the black version) if you want the Ti version you need to ask the guys at Cathay or Alan Photo.

so ultimately its just the branding difference...
any D-lux 4 users to comment on the pic quality?
im quite interested in getting either 1 of these. but not sure what r the advantages....

Probably less than two Lumix DMC-LX3 cameras. ;-) Around 1k if memory serves me right (for the black version) if you want the Ti version you need to ask the guys at Cathay or Alan Photo.

The LX3 is ~0.7k right? So 1k for the Leica is reasonable. Afterall it is a Leica leh.

But a search reveals it might be closer to 1.4k include flash. So is 2x the price of LX3. Who's buying Leica?
Leica L4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.