legendry photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
google......

give u a few names for a start: ansel, HCB, etc..

ansel adams
mario testino
irving penn
david bailey are some of my favourites
howabout the bigger legends?
richard avedon, helmut newton

dun forget our legendary singapore photographers - the cultural medallion winners!

Do a quick search on photographers from Magnum. There's one other legendary photographer in Magnum other than the often-mentioned HCB, Robert Capa (one of the founder of Magnum, one of the most celebrated war photographer who'd pass away while covering the Vietnam War).

Here's some names that you could look out of, gotten from the book "C20th Photography - A complete guide to the greatest artists of the photographic age":

1. Berenica Abbott
2. Ansel Adams
3. Eve Arnold
4. Eugene Atget
5. Cecil Beaton
6. Magaret Bourke-White
7. Bill Brandt
8. Robert Capa
9. Henri Cartier-Bresson
10. Alvin Langdon Coburn
11. Imogen Cunningham
12. Edward Curtis
13. Robert Doisneau
14. Tony Duffy
15. Elliott Erwitt
16. Lee Friedlander
17. Fay Godwin
18. Nan Goldin
19. Andreas Gursky
20. Ernst Haas
21. Bert Hardy
22. Lewis Hine
23. Horst P Horst
24. Eric Hosking
25. Hoyningen-Huene
26. Nadav Kandar
27. Karsh of Ottowa
28. Andre Kertesz
29. William Klein
30. Heinz Luethmeier
31. Nick Knight
32. Dorothea Lange
33. Frans Lanting
34. J.H. Lartigue
35. O Winston Link
36. Steve McCurry
37. Mary Ellen Mark
38. James Nachtwey
39. Helmut Newton
40. Norman Parkinson
41. Martin Parr
42. Rankin
43. Eli Reed
44. Marc Riboud
45. Herb Ritts
46. Alexander Rodchenko
47. George Rodger
48. Willy Ronis
49. Sebastiao Selgado
50. Cindy Sherman
51. W. Eugene Smith
52. Alfred Stieglitz
53. Paul Strand
54. Weegee
55. Madam Yevonde

This is definitely not an exhaustive list, since there are still plenty of other great photographers that weren't featured in this book/list!

Errrr .... you dun need so many whom you may not be familiar ... ;)

IMHO .... this is my suggested list

1. HCB - for his decisive moment :thumbsup: HCB

2. Robert Capa - for going so close as to cover war photography and founder of Magnum Robert Capa

3. Ansel Adams - for his great skills in B&W and one of the most celebrated photographer who has his photos going for auction .. :thumbsup: Ansel Adam

Closer to home ... it is where we should be familiar and I see no points covering so many and could not even single 1 in our nation.

4. Yip Cheong Fun - for his great skills in B&W, singapore 1984 cultural medallion award winner. He was credited as one of the top 10 great photographers by NYPS for the last century ... hope you can read chineses .. :D Another thing worth to mention ... he stayed in Chinatown !!!

33306929.jpg

The_Cheat said:
Do a quick search on photographers from Magnum. There's one other legendary photographer in Magnum other than the often-mentioned HCB, Robert Capa (one of the founder of Magnum, one of the most celebrated war photographer who'd pass away while covering the Vietnam War).

Really strange le! Both of the above mentioned uses a Leica camera! :devil:

I think the list of great photographers goes on and on and on.................

I would prefer to think of lengendary photographers as those who taught/showed/revealed new ways of seeing. People who created "great biographies" of the subjects they chose to photograph.

Examples: (others have their "favorites")

Cartier-Bresson: the special moment
Adams: the magnificance of landscapes
Weston: purity of forms
Gibson: Abstraction
Capa: courage
Smith: photo-story
Salgado: Documentary
Brandt: Forms (especially his nudes)
Lanting: artistry in wildlife
Caponigro: mysticism
Kenna: mystery in landscape
Karsh: portraits
And so on, and on, and on.....

KNIGHT ONG said:
Errrr .... you dun need so many whom you may not be familiar ... ;)

IMHO .... this is my suggested list

1. HCB - for his decisive moment :thumbsup: HCB

2. Robert Capa - for going so close as to cover war photography and founder of Magnum Robert Capa

3. Ansel Adams - for his great skills in B&W and one of the most celebrated photographer who has his photos going for auction .. :thumbsup: Ansel Adam

Closer to home ... it is where we should be familiar and I see no points covering so many and could not even single 1 in our nation.

4. Yip Cheong Fun - for his great skills in B&W, singapore 1984 cultural medallion award winner. He was credited as one of the top 10 great photographers by NYPS for the last century ... hope you can read chineses .. :D Another thing worth to mention ... he stayed in Chinatown !!!

33306929.jpg

Hi KNIGHT ONG
Do you happen to know the opening and closing hour for the exhib. Because everytime I go, it is close. Thanks.

denniskee said:
Hi KNIGHT ONG
Do you happen to know the opening and closing hour for the exhib. Because everytime I go, it is close. Thanks.

what exhibition you referring to ?? .. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.