Legal/illegal Download Websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eow

Jun 22, 2004
Dear Folks,
pls advise
i've a friend who paid monthly to a certain website for downloading of mp3 and korean drama.
while the website is legal in china,taiwan,hong kong,korea and japan
but is it legal in sgsin? yes the website is based in china..
in time of copyright infringement will my friend run afoul of the law?
[sorry if this topic had been bought up in previous discussion had search for it bit the archive is too much for me to digest]

Bluestrike said:
tread moved to a more suitable forum

moved to where ?? :think:

eow said:
Dear Folks,
pls advise
i've a friend who paid monthly to a certain website for downloading of mp3 and korean drama.
while the website is legal in china,taiwan,hong kong,korea and japan
but is it legal in sgsin? yes the website is based in china..
in time of copyright infringement will my friend run afoul of the law?
[sorry if this topic had been bought up in previous discussion had search for it bit the archive is too much for me to digest]

How do you know it's legal? A website that requires an ID and a password to log in and a regular subscription does not necessary means it's legal. There are plenty of these sites in China but actually they are only around because no action has been taken against them, YET. As far as I know, in Korea, there aren't any legal sites that allows downloading of drama serials, because the respective TV stations have their own paid subscription websites for these serials which provide downloads either for a fee or FOC. For mp3s, they have 3rd party sites like www.bugs.co.kr etc etc, but all these websites requires you to be either a citizen of Korea or a temp resident. It's similar for websites in Japan. So I would actually advise your friend to be careful, unless he/she can actually verify that the website is really legal. It's rare to have a website of this nature being legal across several countries since each country has its own interepretation of their copyright laws. Even for Itunes, it's still restricted to US credit cards holders.

Thanks Prismatic,
i just known that i count on fellow csers for help
amazing depth of knownledge u had ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.