Lee Tandem adaptor

Cowseye

Mar 7, 2010
Singapore
www.ttlo-cowseye.com
Hi all,

Does anyone know if this (LEE Tandem adaptor) is sold in Singapore? Looks like it's gonna be a great solution to my polarizing problem. But I'm still wondering how does it work for different filter ring size and I couldn't find any article online on how to use this.

I know it's easiest to give a call to Cathay Photo to ask but I'll probably do that tmr morning. Just hoping if I could fish out an answer from you ladies and gentlemen before I call tomorrow.

Personally, I will not consider it. The filter thread is 105mm... Even if you found a CPL that big, it will cost the bomb... Of course Lee makes one, last I heard it costs 300+ to 400+ excluding the adapter.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if this (LEE Tandem adaptor) is sold in Singapore? Looks like it's gonna be a great solution to my polarizing problem. But I'm still wondering how does it work for different filter ring size and I couldn't find any article online on how to use this.

I know it's easiest to give a call to Cathay Photo to ask but I'll probably do that tmr morning. Just hoping if I could fish out an answer from you ladies and gentlemen before I call tomorrow.

The Tandem adaptor is to be slotted into the first set of filter holder and then you clip the second set of the filter holder onto it. This allows independent rotation of grads, as well as the option to use more than four filters if desired.

However, this definitely will cause vignetting if you are using ultra wide angle.

It does not have any screw threads for screwing. Just to clarify.

Don't have a cross section diagram but the closest I can get is this picture as per the link.

Canon 5D Mark II + Canon EF 17-40 F/4 L USM + Lee Professional Kit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The configuration is

Lens -> Adaptor Ring -> First Filter Holder (Maybe 2 slots) -> Tandem Adaptor (Slot into the first filter holder last slot) -> Second Filter Holder (Maybe 2 slots)

So effectively, instead of having 4 slots but you only get to use 3 slots because one is used to hold the tandem adaptor. If you are using this configuration on a wide angle of DX 10mm to 12mm, I believe there will be severe vignetting.

Not sure Cathay carry them separately because this is very rare and Cathay only has the Professional Kit which include two filter holders and a tandem adaptor. Can try to call them.

If you want to use a polarizer with your filter holder set, then you can cosider 2 options.

Cheap yet troublesome method.

Get a thin Polarizer, rotate it to your desire angle, then use a gaffer tape to fix the position, then screw on the adaptor ring then clip on the filter holder and the rest of the filter.

Expensive method

Get the 105mm accessory ring, then get a 105mm polarizer from Lee or B+W. I personally tried it before. The B+W is slightly thinner than Lee but the polarizing effect by Lee may be better.

Based on your method, the configuration and use is as follows.

First Filter Holder with a a 100x100mm square polarizer filter piece, then using the tandem adaptor, clip on the second filter holder with another 100x100mm square filter.

However, as per Lee filter's website. The 100 x 100mm square polariser slots into the filter holder, which is then rotated to achieve the desired effect. This version is recommened for studio use, or when no graduated filters are required in addition to the polariser.

Lee Filters Polariser

So hope that answers your queries.

Good day.

Last edited:
daredevil123 said:
Personally, I will not consider it. The filter thread is 105mm... Even if you found a CPL that big, it will cost the bomb... Of course Lee makes one, last I heard it costs 300+ to 400+ excluding the adapter.

It's no the same as the additional front attachment. I'll drop a link later to let u see bro :)

Francis247 said:
The Tandem adaptor is to be slotted into the first set of filter holder and then you clip the second set of the filter holder onto it. This allows independent rotation of grads, as well as the option to use more than four filters if desired.

However, this definitely will cause vignetting if you are using ultra wide angle.

It does not have any screw threads for screwing. Just to clarify.

Don't have a cross section diagram but the closest I can get is this picture as per the link.

Canon 5D Mark II + Canon EF 17-40 F/4 L USM + Lee Professional Kit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The configuration is

Lens -> Adaptor Ring -> First Filter Holder (Maybe 2 slots) -> Tandem Adaptor (Slot into the first filter holder last slot) -> Second Filter Holder (Maybe 2 slots)

So effectively, instead of having 4 slots but you only get to use 3 slots because one is used to hold the tandem adaptor. If you are using this configuration on a wide angle of DX 10mm to 12mm, I believe there will be severe vignetting.

Not sure Cathay carry them separately because this is very rare and Cathay only has the Professional Kit which include two filter holders and a tandem adaptor. Can try to call them.

If you want to use a polarizer with your filter holder set, then you can cosider 2 options.

Cheap yet troublesome method.

Get a thin Polarizer, rotate it to your desire angle, then use a gaffer tape to fix the position, then screw on the adaptor ring then clip on the filter holder and the rest of the filter.

Expensive method

Get the 105mm accessory ring, then get a 105mm polarizer from Lee or B+W. I personally tried it before. The B+W is slightly thinner than Lee but the polarizing effect by Lee may be better.

Based on your method, the configuration and use is as follows.

First Filter Holder with a a 100x100mm square polarizer filter piece, then using the tandem adaptor, clip on the second filter holder with another 100x100mm square filter.

However, as per Lee filter's website. The 100 x 100mm square polariser slots into the filter holder, which is then rotated to achieve the desired effect. This version is recommened for studio use, or when no graduated filters are required in addition to the polariser.

Lee Filters Polariser

So hope that answers your queries.

Good day.

Thanks Francis. Very detailed information :)

It's no the same as the additional front attachment. I'll drop a link later to let u see bro :)

I got it now after reading Francis' write up. Sorry for the mistake.

Yes, as francis mentioned, Vignetting will be an issue.

Francis247 said:
You are welcome.

Any particular reason why are you considering this option?

If you want, I can take a photo of my setup for the accessory ring and circular polarizer for your consideration.

That would be great bro. I dunno what I'm doing but sometimes when forced to, I'll screw the square filter adapter in front of my CPL, then mount the holder onto the adapter. To minimize risk, I use a tight turning CPL (didn't do it on purpose, but my new B+W CPL just happens to be quite tight..), set the polarization, then mount and only turn half rd for the adapter to ensure the thread bites on each other and finally mount my holder.

It's damn tedious and a little risky.

daredevil123 said:
I got it now after reading Francis' write up. Sorry for the mistake.

Yes, as francis mentioned, Vignetting will be an issue.

No problem, I tot the 105mm method is really useful.. But the setup will set me back quite a lot.. Especially when I'm not even getting paid shooting landscape... -_-"

That would be great bro. I dunno what I'm doing but sometimes when forced to, I'll screw the square filter adapter in front of my CPL, then mount the holder onto the adapter. To minimize risk, I use a tight turning CPL (didn't do it on purpose, but my new B+W CPL just happens to be quite tight..), set the polarization, then mount and only turn half rd for the adapter to ensure the thread bites on each other and finally mount my holder.

It's damn tedious and a little risky.

Hey Bro,

What you describe is my rough workflow if I got no time to change my Lee Filter Holder Set from 3 slots to 2 slots with the accessory ring because I need to screw on and off and etc.

This is what I do is I am using my Nikon 10-24mm

1. Remove any UV Filter
2. Attach the 77mm Circular Polarizer to the lens (I got the B+W 105mm and Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer. I bring both most of the time)
3. Rotate the Circular Polarizer until I get the desired polarizing effect.
4. "Lock" the circular polarizer with a gaffer tape. (My tripod got a lot of small pieces of gaffer tape for such situation)
5. Screw on the adapter ring to the circular polarizer
6. Attach the Filter Holder
7. Put on the GND and turn the filter holder to a desired position
8. Put on the ND filter if you want to reduce the light further.

I will upload the photos of my accessory ring and circular polarizer soon.

PS : I forgot to add. There will be vignetting. I think the best is anything more than 12mm DX. Can't really remember the exact focal length.

Last edited:
This is my Lee Filter Holder Set Configuration.

1. I usually prefer 3 slots. Even on my Nikon 10-24mm, still no major vignetting at 10mm. In fact, I have been shooting with this configuration at 10mm also no issue as long as the filter holder is square and straight. If I turn the holder slightly, I will see a bit of vignetting.

PC051170800.jpg

2. This is the Lee accessory ring. It comes in a bag.

PC051171800.jpg

3. This is my B+W 105mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Filter. I got it from B&H at USD$226

PC051173800.jpg

4. After removing the 4 screws, I removed 1 slot and added the accessory ring in the front of the filter slots. The recommended configuration is actually 1 slot together with the accessory ring but I usually do a 2 slots. Vignetting is quite obvious at 10mm DX when you attach the circular polarizer on. Can still see a bit of vignetting at 12mm DX. IIRC, I don't get any issue at 14mm DX. If you removed and left with 1 slot and accessory ring, then maybe 12mm should not be an issue.

PC051175800.jpg

5. Screwing on the 105mm Circular Polarizer on the accessory ring.

PC051177800.jpg

Last edited:
huge looking filter....
there is still have vignetting issue even when it is this big...

May I know where and how much you pay for the accessory ring?

Just to add, I believe the thinnest circular polarizer for 105mm is from Heliopan.

Heliopan Circular Polarising Filter SLIM MOUNT - which is £145.20. It is not readily available.

I read somewhere that the polarizing effect is not so good. Forgot where is the source.

So I took the plunge and go for B+W which is an all round average...

huge looking filter....
there is still have vignetting issue even when it is this big...

May I know where and how much you pay for the accessory ring?

The problem is that it is thick... I was considering remove some of the thickness in the front since it does not really need to attach any other filters in front...

I got it from B&H which is USD$52. Not sure how much is Cathay or TK is selling but since I bought quite a few items, so shipping cost is distributed out...

That's Bloody Cheap for a 105mm CPL!?

Maybe you can consider the slim frame CPL if they do produce one for 105mm.

How much is the LEE 105mm adapter alone?

That's Bloody Cheap for a 105mm CPL!?

Maybe you can consider the slim frame CPL if they do produce one for 105mm.

How much is the LEE 105mm adapter alone?

The B+W 105mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Filter is USD$226
The LEE 105mm accessory ring is USD$52
Note that these prices do not include shipping. So best that you can buy lots of stuff or to share shipping with other people.

You can check out B&H website for more details.

Currently, the thinnest circular polarizer I know is from Zeta but the largest is 82mm.
For 105mm, it is the Heliopan.
I did my research and the Heliopan slim mount version has got lesser screw thread in the front, that is why is it thinner.
Can check out this website.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197531-REG/Heliopan_710580_105mm_Circular_Polarizer.html

For B+W, there is no slim version yet unfortunately...

Last edited:
Francis247 said:
The B+W 105mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Filter is USD$226
The LEE 105mm accessory ring is USD$52
Note that these prices do not include shipping. So best that you can buy lots of stuff or to share shipping with other people.

You can check out B&H website for more details.

Currently, the thinnest circular polarizer I know is from Zeta but the largest is 82mm.
For 105mm, it is the Heliopan.
I did my research and the Heliopan slim mount version has got lesser screw thread in the front, that is why is it thinner.
Can check out this website.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197531-REG/Heliopan_710580_105mm_Circular_Polarizer.html

For B+W, there is no slim version yet unfortunately...

Ah, I misunderstood. Ok. Seems that I can't run away from doing it the risky way..
The adaptor and CPL is gonna set me back so much...