Lee filter std. holder system vs screw in filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
Hello hello :)
I searched and googled, but will ask you here for your opinions.

I've used Cokins before, but they scratched easy and the holder seemed flimsy / would fall off some times. So I've been looking at getting the Lee Digital Starter Kit and adaptor ring as these seem more sturdy. But after adding it up, I realise that the amount paid for this kit could get me some screw in ND's and grad ND's (a couple of B+W or even more hoyas).

So I'm thinking... would it still be worth getting the Lee holder system (cokin style), or should I get the screw ins?

Currently with the Cokins, I always find myself using the same filters, sliding them in, sliding them out (if I used screw in, I feel it'll be the same, but screw in, screw out), so what really is the advantage?

THANKS

I was once feeling the same way you did about buying the Lee filter system. The price is always a shocker if you ask me. Looking at things on paper sometimes doesn't cut it unlike having the real thing right in front of you when making evaluations. I took the plunge and never look back at any other filter system ever since.

The filter holder is made of plastic and is very sturdy. You can stack more filters by screwing in the grooves. The filters don't slide or fall off once you slide it in place. There is a locking device for the filter holder as well so that means you can rotate the filter and it will lock in place at any angle. There is also a special lens cap specially made so you don't have to remove the adaptor ring once you are done. All in all, it is a well thought out system.

Screw-in filters has its disadvantages. You can't adjust the height of ND grad because it's fixed. Until today, nothing gives more neutral results like the Lee NDs. I have never tried Singh Ray before but that is another price sticker shocker product. Hope that helps.

You would be limited by the placement of the transition zone of a screw in GND.
Would not be an issue for say NDs

For longer exposures I get a holder. Else I just handhold la

Until today, nothing gives more neutral results like the Lee NDs.

Hey Hamzee, the Singh Rays are veryneutral too
( Ok I have yet to use Lees )

Ryan

Thank you very much for the responses hazmee and giantcanopy :)
Really appreciate your experiences you have kindly shared here.

Thanks!

Sorry for jumping in with a related question:
Will Lee, Cokin and Singh-Ray filters share the same filter holder?

Sorry for jumping in with a related question:
Will Lee, Cokin and Singh-Ray filters share the same filter holder?

In summary yes.

Lee and Singh Ray makes P size filters that fits the Cokin P format ( 84mm ) .
* Note that Lee standard size is 100mm instead of 84mm, and they have their 100mm holder system.
Singh Ray makes the P size filters abit longer in length compared to Cokin so I find it easier for more extreme placement of the transition if needed. ( I think Lee is similar )

Singh Ray sells 4 x 6 sizes as well.
If you need other sizes, you can call them up to custom make.

Ryan

Do you use the standard adaptor ring or wide angle adaptor ring (and what is the widest focal length you use it with), notice any vignetting if you use the standard adaptor ring?

Thanks!

good discussion here since i'm still deciding to get either the screw one or with the holder one.

Newbie question. CPL's are always screw type, right? So the P-system only applies for ND and GND filters. Am i correct?
thanks for the help.

Do you use the standard adaptor ring or wide angle adaptor ring (and what is the widest focal length you use it with), notice any vignetting if you use the standard adaptor ring?

Thanks!

I have the slim adapter. It has abit of vignette on my 12-24mm at the 12 mm end
I only tried it a few times before i end up handholding it.

Newbie question. CPL's are always screw type, right? So the P-system only applies for ND and GND filters. Am i correct?
thanks for the help.

Not necessary. Singh Ray for example has a sprocket mount for their polarisers that needs to be fixed on a P system holder. but you can rotate the filter on the P mount.

Ryan

if you are on a tight budget,

use the cokin filter holders and tian ya neutral grads. the cokins have a horrible yellowish cast to them, i think.

i think the main issue is price, so you want to ask yourself whether it is really worth the difference to you. as with every aspect of photography, no doubt lee and singh-ray have higher quality and less issues than cheaper ones like tianya.. but it's always exponential, at least the money to price ratio

Never could bear to part hundreds of $$ for a filter system that you might just use for a while and chuck it away... :p

I'm a bit slow here. I just checked out the price of Lee Filter System in Cathay (30 Jul 08, 1pm).
The foundation system (basically the holder) cost S$130
The adaptor ring cost S$100 (regardless of thread diameter)
The 3 piece GND filters (soft) cost S$400

total price is more than some good lenses.

I am now forced to consider Tianya. Thanks for the tip that Cokin has yellow tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.