Lee Filter Holder

Jackle

Mar 22, 2010
Just received my Lee filter Holder and 77mm ring via UPS today. Have been thinking about it for a very long time and decided to get it althought all Lee GNDs are sold out world wide. Got my filter holder form robertwhite.co.uk for 112 pounds which I think is quite worth it as these are sold out at Cathay and TK foto.

5347882075_64abe6feac.jpg

5348493298_2da3d107a1.jpg

Now I'm thinking of getting the filters and seems like there are only hitech GND around. Lee's are sold out. Should I get the hitech ones even though they are thiner and would this pose a light leakage problem?

Also, as I have a B+W ND 110, can I place this filter infront of the lens, then mount the Lee filter holder infront of the ND 110?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Just received my Lee filter Holder and 77mm ring via UPS today. Have been thinking about it for a very long time and decided to get it althought all Lee GNDs are sold out world wide. Got my filter holder form robertwhite.co.uk for 112 pounds which I think is quite worth it as these are sold out at Cathay and TK foto.

Now I'm thinking of getting the filters and seems like there are only hitech GND around. Lee's are sold out. Should I get the hitech ones even though they are thiner and would this pose a light leakage problem?

Also, as I have a B+W ND 110, can I place this filter infront of the lens, then mount the Lee filter holder infront of the ND 110?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Light leakage problem is not detectable unless you are using the Big Stopper. That is why they put forms aka poron about the edges to prevent light leakage.

The Hi-Tech GND is 1.5mm while the LEE GND is 2.0mm thick. I tried getting the Extension Slides from BH Photo but to my surprise, it didn't work. So, please don't bother ordering it.

The only worry or problem with a 0.5mm thickness shortfall is that the filter is not able to hold firmly in place except the last slot. My advice, to overcome this, I was thinking of using some gaffer tape strips to increase the thickness. I have yet to try out but it should work ideally.

As for your last question, yes, that is the only way to mount the filter unless there is a B+W ND110 with 105mm size, then you can consider having the adapter ring holder.

But big stopper is from lee so it should be 2.0mm think and shouldn't pose a problem right? on B&S I saw a Hitech ND400, that one might have a light leakage problem.

Gaffer sounds like a great solution. It will protect the edges of the filter from chipping or stains from my fingers as well.

I'll just mount the filter holder on the ND110, which makes more sense as I already have the ND110 in size 77mm.

I am using both Lee Holder and Hitech filters with no problems. The filters slides in snugly. Hope that helps.

But big stopper is from lee so it should be 2.0mm think and shouldn't pose a problem right? on B&S I saw a Hitech ND400, that one might have a light leakage problem.

Gaffer sounds like a great solution. It will protect the edges of the filter from chipping or stains from my fingers as well.

I'll just mount the filter holder on the ND110, which makes more sense as I already have the ND110 in size 77mm.

The LEE Big Stopper is 2mm thick and has the poron or form around the edge for the reason to make a good seal to prevent light leakage. That is why the instruction say that to place the Big Stopper in the last slot.

So far, I used the Hi-Tech 1.2 ND filter with no problem of light leakage but anything more than 5 stop should be light tight I think. :think:

Last edited:
ahh... thanks hazmee and francis247 for your help.

I was thinking of getting GND 0.6 and 0.9, you guys think these are sufficient? or should i get something else. I'm thinking of getting only two filters to start with.

ahh... thanks hazmee and francis247 for your help.

I was thinking of getting GND 0.6 and 0.9, you guys think these are sufficient? or should i get something else. I'm thinking of getting only two filters to start with.

If you are getting the Hi-Tech one, that should be good enough.

There are a few to choose from in TK Foto.

GND (100mm x 150mm)
Hard Edge

Soft Edge

Reverse GND (RGND)

Choose only what you need. ;)

i would mostly be taking sunrise, some landscape during the afternoons and some sunsets.

was thinking if 0.6 and 0.9 or 0.6 and 1.2 all hard edge. and maybe a reverse 0.6 GND.

i would mostly be taking sunrise, some landscape during the afternoons and some sunsets.

was thinking if 0.6 and 0.9 or 0.6 and 1.2 all hard edge. and maybe a reverse 0.6 GND.

Hmm...

For beginner, go for soft edge first.
Try 0.6, 0.9 and 1.2 soft edge for now.
then go for hard edge.

For your info, these stuffs are highly addictive... :sweat:

58457_433634588873_782523873_4815321_5202156_n.jpg

went to TK foto and cathay just now, TK has hitech but selling at 90 bucks each and a set of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 selling at 200 bucks. problem is, they ran out of 0.3 and they are unwilling for me to change the 0.3 to something else for me.

cathay has the set of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 at 375 bucks. now deciding on hitech or lee...

btw, Francis, what pouch are you using?

went to TK foto and cathay just now, TK has hitech but selling at 90 bucks each and a set of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 selling at 200 bucks. problem is, they ran out of 0.3 and they are unwilling for me to change the 0.3 to something else for me.

cathay has the set of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 at 375 bucks. now deciding on hitech or lee...

btw, Francis, what pouch are you using?

Currently I got 2 pouches and 1 filter wallet.
One is the pouch from the LEE digital starter kit aka triple filter pouch (the one as shown in photo)
One is the LEE multi-filter pouch and...
One filter wallet from Green filter.

Between Lee and Hitech, I am beginning to like my new Hitech 0.9 filter. Its neutral and of good quality (cheaper too!). After using it for a while I went ahead and bought a 1.2 Hitech to complete my arsenal of filters. My 0.75 Lee however has turned slightly yellowish over the years of using while my 0.3 which rarely see the light of day remains quite neutral. I am not sure if the 0.75 has the yellow cast by default but I remembered it being neutral when I first got it about 3 years ago.

My recent Lee purchase (The Big Stopper) has been quite disappointing and I am starting to doubt Lee's quality at times. I don't know why Lee's production is taking their own sweet time to make these filters but I hope they continue to make good filters.

Mind share what's wrong with the LEE big stopper?

Between Lee and Hitech, I am beginning to like my new Hitech 0.9 filter. Its neutral and of good quality (cheaper too!). After using it for a while I went ahead and bought a 1.2 Hitech to complete my arsenal of filters. My 0.75 Lee however has turned slightly yellowish over the years of using while my 0.3 which rarely see the light of day remains quite neutral. I am not sure if the 0.75 has the yellow cast by default but I remembered it being neutral when I first got it about 3 years ago.

My recent Lee purchase (The Big Stopper) has been quite disappointing and I am starting to doubt Lee's quality at times. I don't know why Lee's production is taking their own sweet time to make these filters but I hope they continue to make good filters.

I think the set of three Lee filters of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 includes the Lee filter wrap mentioned by yyD70s.

I guess i will still explore a bit more before deciding. I will post here what I get eventually and the reason why when I get it.

With all the pictures and discussions, this thread is poisonous, man! :bsmilie:

I m using Lee's GND/NDs primarily and coupled with a 4 Stop Hitech ND

A heads up u will get color cast when u stack Lee's GND with Hitech filters.. though a pain but can be easily corrected when shot in raw..

And i have the B+W high stops NDs as well, no problem at all though when use with Slot in GNDS will take up more time in deployment..