Lee filter for Nikon 14-24mm lens

John Wayne

Mar 19, 2009
Hi CSers,

Anyone can give reviews on the Lee filter on your 14-24mm lens?
It is easily to be mounted on the lens and etc?
Care to share your comments.:)

[vid]fMX5p9Iwx3Y[/vid]

[vid]oGFL-hC678g[/vid]

Or you can make your own...

[vid]Q3byFHE2dt8[/vid]

Hi CSers,

Anyone can give reviews on the Lee filter on your 14-24mm lens?
It is easily to be mounted on the lens and etc?
Care to share your comments.:)

Yeah... if you have spent the US$399.95 do let us know how it feels like.

And that last video... a polarizer filter on such a wide angle beast? Won't you get strange unevenness?

Yeah... if you have spent the US$399.95 do let us know how it feels like.

And that last video... a polarizer filter on such a wide angle beast? Won't you get strange unevenness?

Well, some people get their kicks in different manner.

Tht is just an beast for the lens. What about lee filters? Anyone used them?

I am mechanically challenged so I got guys at TK to fix it for me. After using it for awhile, I noticed the lens and my D3 felt heavier. The filter holder adds weight! But I like the way it looks with the filter holder. :)

The quality is great. With the ND filter and GND filter, it will give you effect that you desire with the 14-24. But to be frank, I am more used to shooting landscape with 24-70 or 70-200. Maybe in future when the resolution of D800 or D4 is at 24 MP, I will use 14-24 to shoot landscape more often.

if really want spent so much for landscape.

get Carl zeiss nikon mount 21mm f2.8.
82mm filter thread.
easily more Nd and gd choice on the 4x6 series. more economic too.

can accept 2 filter too.

it is a prime though and manual focus.

google review for it so far haven't hear any bad review on it.

problem is the d800 not out yet though haha.
so far good for canon 5d mark 2.

if really want spent so much for landscape.

get Carl zeiss nikon mount 21mm f2.8.
82mm filter thread.
easily more Nd and gd choice on the 4x6 series. more economic too.

can accept 2 filter too.

it is a prime though and manual focus.

google review for it so far haven't hear any bad review on it.

problem is the d800 not out yet though haha.
so far good for canon 5d mark 2.

21mm... not wide enough ley

most people would settle for 16-35f4 instead

I refused to buy the LEE set for the time being. In all their wisdom, they decided to package it with hard edge GNDs, which is totally useless to me.

Agreed with your statement which is why i felt we still need to spent additional NDs for such a great lens. which the original package is not that attractive.

Agree but just that f2.8 good for low light situation.

1 Stop is not do-or-die difference. In low light, VR more important for hand-held from my experience. Also, what are tripods for? Taking moving subjects in low light situations with UWAs, how often??? For UWA & landscapes most would use lens stop down, not wide open. Not even considering weight & use of filters. My personal take only on this oft repeated 2.8 wonder.

As to LEE filters, I use them with UWAs, no problem but not sure for the 14-24 though. Should be same except ex & have to watch out when using polarizers.

Last edited:
TS, well if u dont wanna pay the premium for Lee SW150, i suggest u go search for the MIC version of it shld cost u less than 130SGD if u know where to get it, but the only gripe, theres currently only GNDs for the series... NO NDs yet... unless im outdated...

problem is not much choice of filters..... also one of the factor i sold off my 14-24 aND THE SW150 as i have also stop taking landscapes.....

cheers...

1 Stop is not do-or-die difference. In low light, VR more important for hand-held from my experience. Also, what are tripods for? Taking moving subjects in low light situations with UWAs, how often??? For UWA & landscapes most would use lens stop down, not wide open. Not even considering weight & use of filters. My personal take only on this oft repeated 2.8 wonder.

As to LEE filters, I use them with UWAs, no problem but not sure for the 14-24 though. Should be same except ex & have to watch out when using polarizers.

........true 1 stop maybe not that crucial for most of applications using UWA, but 16-35 has awful barrel distortion, 14-24 is one of the best UWA in terms of distortion.

In any case, just get 3rd party filter holder from OP, I am sure by now there would be Tianya version.....they should be able to hold Lee's GNDs too.

Last edited:
Thumbs up gents. Great discussion on this trend here, with so many philisophy just on lee filter always give a pondering qn to seek why chose 14-24.

........true 1 stop maybe not that crucial for most of applications using UWA, but 16-35 has awful barrel distortion, 14-24 is one of the best UWA in terms of distortion.

In any case, just get 3rd party filter holder from OP, I am sure by now there would be Tianya version.....they should be able to hold Lee's GNDs too.

Nowadays distortion are so easy to correct. And 16-35's distortion is not complex. One click and it is gone.