LED TV getting costly

lotus80

Apr 9, 2012
Pasir Ris
Wonder why LED TVs are getting costly. This is a reversing trend whereby led tv were getting cheaper by the day.

Got Samsung 40inch smart led tv for S$999 in nov2011 and now it's 1250.

Wonder why LED TVs are getting costly. This is a reversing trend whereby led tv were getting cheaper by the day.

Got Samsung 40inch smart led tv for S$999 in nov2011 and now it's 1250.

Either it's a newer/more advanced model, or the strong SGD is impacting the cost of imported goods.

usually it's just newer features and advancement in technology.

either that, or samsung is testing water to see if consumers will still buy their TVs at higher prices after conquering the market with cheaper prices.

and they might win at that, considering that the world is in Korea-frenzy now

Is the model the same? Was the previous set a heavily discounted display set?

giantcanopy said:
Is the model the same? Was the previous set a heavily discounted display set?

Model almost the same, I see other vendors also raised led tv prices as well.

Korea seriously injured the TV divisions of Sony and Panasonic. So now Korea feels it can raise prices and risk offending the consumer. Japan should see this Korean mistake as an opportunity for the future. The Japanese competition is temporarily hurt but will fight for market share later.

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Japanese Join Hands to Fend Off Korean Rivals in OLED TV Market

Last edited:

bro which brands? purely Korean brands or China, Japan and the others jumping in as well? otherwise we have no way to come up with some crazy speculation on LED TV Pricing in Singapore :bsmilie:

kei1309 said:
bro which brands? purely Korean brands or China, Japan and the others jumping in as well? otherwise we have no way to come up with some crazy speculation on LED TV Pricing in Singapore :bsmilie:

Mostly Korean brands have hiked prices, I am inclined to buy Samsung but now may go in for Sharp or Panasonic.

lotus80 said:

If it was a 3d vs non 3d sure the former more ex. Last yr when I bought my 55 inch LED tv the 40 inchers looked cheaper than what u mentioned. My friend got a 60 inche Philips recently and they gave him a free 40 inch panel.

lotus80 said:

Almost the same meaning? Aesthetics? Are the specs the same? Or maybe its the new ones with camera or dual core processor which u cant see from the outside

bcmy91 said:
Almost the same meaning? Aesthetics? Are the specs the same? Or maybe its the new ones with camera or dual core processor which u cant see from the outside

Right, let me check on the camera and stuff. Thanks.

Used to be Sony most expensive. Now Samsung seems to be more expensive. To be fair, Samsung has came a long way. Their TV is both aesthetic and good panels.

i just bought a LG 47" almost a month ago. I was told that although the same brand, almost the same features and size, the assembly of the TV may differs. I saw the same LG 47" at a much cheaper price, $300-400 difference. But, the TV panel was different. So i bought the more expensive one. :sweat:

i just bought a LG 47" almost a month ago. I was told that although the same brand, almost the same features and size, the assembly of the TV may differs. I saw the same LG 47" at a much cheaper price, $300-400 difference. But, the TV panel was different. So i bought the more expensive one. :sweat:

actually, for TVs, they might have the same 47", just that it's a different model. for me, i tend to "buy once, keep it long". so i got for the best quality that'll last. hence i take japanese brands.

but anyways.. the salesman just conned you. different assembly methods? more like "old TV, lower price" or "different model, different price"

actually, for TVs, they might have the same 47", just that it's a different model. for me, i tend to "buy once, keep it long". so i got for the best quality that'll last. hence i take japanese brands.

but anyways.. the salesman just conned you. different assembly methods? more like "old TV, lower price" or "different model, different price"

Hahaha..as in he said the country which the LED TV was assembled is different. I dunno how true it is, but whatever it is, already signed on the dotted line, no point crying over spilt milk. :sweat:

Courts also has many ridiculous offers! My uncle bought a 42" last year for S$699...

Hahaha..as in he said the country which the LED TV was assembled is different. I dunno how true it is, but whatever it is, already signed on the dotted line, no point crying over spilt milk. :sweat:

Courts also has many ridiculous offers! My uncle bought a 42" last year for S$699...

:bsmilie: what BS!

country of origin counts for nothing :bsmilie:

my NEX-7 with a kit lens made in Japan is still the same price as the one made in Thailand.

:bsmilie: it's how they put it across to you.

also, low prices can also mean dumping of old stock or pressure to clear off stock to make way for different models or other brands