led ring light

Status
Not open for further replies.
vince123123 said:
Possible to show photographs of the front and back? Curious to see how you attach the LEDs and wire up everything. The photo with the lights on now kinda flares out the details....

I just connect them up in parallel. My 1st intention was to make it with 2 intensity, hence I alternate the LEDs into 2 loops os the connection is quite messy. Here is a simplier diagram. Hope you can see it cos I cut and paste from my ACAD drawing. make sure the polority of theLEDs are correct.

LEDs_Ring.jpg

What do you use to attach the LEDs onto the CD case?

vince123123 said:
What do you use to attach the LEDs onto the CD case?

Nothing. The hole I drilled is just nice fitting so the LED stays put. My CD cover is a very thin type so after soldering, I just close it and tape it together. The back cover actually protects the circuitry. I dont even know how to describe it. Wait, tonight take photo again and post tomorrow.

dreamerz said:
it a very bright kind of LEDs...n it isnt cheap...per led may cost more than $5...it is brighter than multiple typical bright LEDs...but duno SG gt sell or nt...duno noe slt gt sell or nt...
u can see this site for more info...http://www.luxeon.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=7
You can try RS components at SimLim Tower. They import many amazing difficult to find component.

Below is RS components agent in Singapore, you can call them for SimLim Tower outlet.
RS Components Pte Ltd
31 Tech Pk Cres Singapore 638040
Tel: 6865 3400

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
You can try RS components at SimLim Tower. They import many amazing difficult to find component.

Below is RS components agent in Singapore, you can call them for SimLim Tower outlet.
RS Components Pte Ltd
31 Tech Pk Cres Singapore 638040
Tel: 6865 3400

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks for the info. Looking at the cost per LED, I think its not worth while to use them for this project.

vince123123, here are the photos.

IMG_0911s.jpg

IMG_0910s.jpg

DeSwitch said:
Thanks for the info. Looking at the cost per LED, I think its not worth while to use them for this project.

IMG_0911s.jpg

IMG_0910s.jpg

DeSwitch I notice your schematic has no resistors. If you connect the LEDs in parallel then each LED must have its own resistor. LEDs have slight variations in their voltage threshold, which means that the one with the lowest voltage will get MUCH more current than the others and will most likely break. (Some LEDs that are from the same part of the same batch might be similar enough not to need separate resistors for each LED, but considering how cheap resistors are it isn't worth the risk.)
If you have high enough voltage you might want to connect the LEDs in series instead, and then they don't need separate resistors since the the same current flows through all the LEDs (obviously). Or you might want to make a combination, e.g. two parallel circuits, each containing three LEDs and a resistor in series. Or three parallel circuits, each with with a resistor in series with two LEDs.

I design it for rechargable batteries whic is 1.2V x 3 = 3.6V. The LEDs Voltage reg is 3.5V so it should be OK. only need to add resistor if I'm going to use normal batteries. Using higher voltage will make the the setup less portable due to more batteries.

Thanks for the kind concern. In the end think this project will be another white elephant as the light level is not good enough for hand hels shot. Will try out this saturday just to be sure.

DeSwitch said:
I design it for rechargable batteries whic is 1.2V x 3 = 3.6V. The LEDs Voltage reg is 3.5V so it should be OK. only need to add resistor if I'm going to use normal batteries. Using higher voltage will make the the setup less portable due to more batteries.

Thanks for the kind concern. In the end think this project will be another white elephant as the light level is not good enough for hand hels shot. Will try out this saturday just to be sure.
With the high power White LED, you might need only 4 LEDs, thus save the space and weight.

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks DeSwitch - I really appreciate you taking the time to do up the photographs - I'm working on a similar project (not for macro light, but a light intended to work with a magnifying glass lens) and learnt quite a bit from your project.

Cost isn't a big factor for me - how much is those super LEDs? Performance is more impt for me (unless of course those are exhorbidantly expensive)

DeSwitch said:

vince123123 said:
Possible to show photographs of the front and back? Curious to see how you attach the LEDs and wire up everything. The photo with the lights on now kinda flares out the details....
Try this link, I wonder if they are available in SimLim Tower...

http://www.luxeonstar.com/

I have no time to look2 at SimLim Tower, so if you do so, please let us know.

Regards,
Arto.

some simple maths for lighting exposure, you said 20 pcs of normal LED is not bright enough

To brighten one stops you need 40 pcs of normal LED,
to brighten two stops you need 80 pcs of normal LED,
to brighten three stops you need 160 pcs of normal LED...

Hope this help.
Have fun with you DIY project

Will check it out! Cool if there's a online SLT service - a lot of the time its not time-effective to go down to buy just one wire/plug/socket.

lsisaxon said:
http://sg.farnell.com Order and they will deliver to your doorstep.

vince123123 said:
Will check it out! Cool if there's a online SLT service - a lot of the time its not time-effective to go down to buy just one wire/plug/socket.
Yeah.. but they do charge a delivery charge if the purchase is below $50. You can find more things which you cannot find in SLT. Especially surface mount components. But of course things can be a little more expensive and parts like resistors have a minimum order quantity.

Another such company is RS Components, but I prefer Farnell.

So many stuff! see until blur - still trying to find where LEDs are....

lsisaxon said:
http://sg.farnell.com Order and they will deliver to your doorstep.

RS components is also an online store? any URL?

lsisaxon said:
Yeah.. but they do charge a delivery charge if the purchase is below $50. You can find more things which you cannot find in SLT. Especially surface mount components. But of course things can be a little more expensive and parts like resistors have a minimum order quantity.

Another such company is RS Components, but I prefer Farnell.

vince123123 said:
RS components is also an online store? any URL?
They are not strictly online.. If you have their catalog, you can just call them up and they take phone orders and pay by credit card also.

But do check the prices for both before placing an order. Some things are cheaper in Farnell and some RS. But mostly, I find Farnell cheaper.

Here's RS's website.
http://www.rssingapore.com

One other advantage is that you won't get oxidized leads like you may get from some shops in SLT.

Thanks again.

So you like Farnell better than RS cos on price rite? WIll check both out - tks!

lsisaxon said:
They are not strictly online.. If you have their catalog, you can just call them up and they take phone orders and pay by credit card also.

But do check the prices for both before placing an order. Some things are cheaper in Farnell and some RS. But mostly, I find Farnell cheaper.

Here's RS's website.
http://www.rssingapore.com

vince123123 said:
Thanks again.

So you like Farnell better than RS cos on price rite? WIll check both out - tks!
Yah.. Initially I was put off by the RS catalog. Then later, they kind of improved but I already have a personal account with Farnell, so it's easier for me to just stick with Farnell. Again, lead time is about the same, some components if they don't have stock, they will need to order for you and they will tell you how soon you can get the components. If they have it, delivery is usually half working day.. if you order in the morning, you'll get it in the afternoon, if you order in the afternoon, you'll get it the next morning.

Thanks lsisaxon, catchlights & Artosoft for providing the links. I'm passing by SLS later so may drop by SLT to hunt around for the RS outlet.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.