led ring light

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSwitch

Oct 28, 2005
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
Hi,

I had just completed a experimental DIY LED ring light for Macro photography. I used 20 super bright Leds @$1 each, 1 batt holder, 3 AA batt, a white CD cover, some wires. Tools used include pen knive, drill,tape etc.

Result of the ring light is not as good. Need to be in close range of <30cm. Light level is low so I might get back to my drawing board to include more Leds. Tested some shots of my son's little toy squirrel. the fill in is quite good with no noticable shadows. I will post the picture after I DL from the camera tomorrow.

What I did was drafted out a template of the layout of the LEDs with AUTOCAD software, stick it on the CD cover and drill the holes. Then sandpaper the edges. Next I cut out the inner hole to match my Tamron90mm similat to the way the hood is attached to the lens.

Put in the led and solder them in parallel. connect a 1 m cable to them and the other end to a switch and the batt holder. I can place the batt in my pocket this way.

Really need to do a fiels test this weekend to see if it improve my Macro lighting.

Does anyone ever tried this project?

Have read similar diy project from other sites.

I'm surprised that 20 "super bright" ones still not enough. Anyway 30cm is good enough for macro/micro.

How about using a CD instead? may be the reflective surface can bounce more light to the subject?

Can't wait to see your picture. quick quick!!

HeWolf said:
Have read similar diy project from other sites.

I'm surprised that 20 "super bright" ones still not enough. Anyway 30cm is good enough for macro/micro.

How about using a CD instead? may be the reflective surface can bounce more light to the subject?

Can't wait to see your picture. quick quick!!

The plastic CD crack easily when drilled and cut. Moreover, the soft plastic CD cover will not damage the lenses. I had since stick a piect of white Vinyl over the cover. Might consider to put in a difuser to distribute the light evenly. I already copied the photo to my tumb drive but forgot to bring to work.

Will post tomorrow. (Home PC down)

DeSwitch said:
The plastic CD crack easily when drilled and cut. Moreover, the soft plastic CD cover will not damage the lenses. I had since stick a piect of white Vinyl over the cover. Might consider to put in a difuser to distribute the light evenly. I already copied the photo to my tumb drive but forgot to bring to work.

Will post tomorrow. (Home PC down)

Correct me if I'm wrong, if the LED positions are distributed evenly, there's no need for a diffuser, because the light should already be evenly distributed.
also, with diffuser, your working distance may drop further. Then can only take super-macro. :bsmilie:

How about those aluminium foil (for kitchen)? Good reflective surface too.

The setup without the camera body. Note that its a very roughly built cos it a still in its testing stage.

SETUP1.jpg

A shot taken with the ring light #1

RING_1.jpg

A shot taken with the Builtin flash#1

BUILTIN_1.jpg

A shot taken with the ring light #2
RING_2.jpg

A shot taken with the Builtin flash#2

BUILTIN_2.jpg

You could use Chrome paint to improve the light transfer.

Would be grateful if you can post a pic of the setup - I'm looking to build one, not so much for photography use, but to mount to a magnifying glass for reading purposes - its to help old people read using a magnifying glass and RING LEDs.

The catch-lights in the subjects eys don't look like they came from a ring-light - nice PP work ;p

Seriously, I've heard of these DIY's before and I think you need a lot more LED's, at least double of what you have now to give you any sort of working distance. The shots above with the ring-light look under by at least a stop.

The photos taken with built-in flash looks darken/blockage at the bottom. Probably built-in flash's light blocked by led ring light around the lens.

Regards,
Arto.

Were you using the transparent or black part of the CD cover? Either way, maybe the reason why you aren't getting the full "light effect" from your LEDs is becos of light loss/absorbtion of the materials? :think:

I remembered there was a site that showed how to make a ring flash and the material used was styrofoam. Maybe you can try that, or a simpler solution would be to use some aluminium foil to cover your base material.

Either way, it'll be great if you could show some pictures of your creation. :)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

if u 1 brighter light mayb u can consider Luxeon LEDs...One 3W LuxeonIII is brighter than those small multiple LEDs..but u pay wat u get...it doesnt come cheap...

Sorry, I was having problem viewing my own picture post on my tread. Didnt realised that there was a typo error on my image link. corrected the error.

Yup, I think the bottom shadow was caused by my ring light. It was quite late last night when I completed the project so I didnt really check the final photos. Thanks for highlighting to me.

I think I really need to increase the number of LED, note that due to my carelessness, I blown 1 Led. Initial design was for 3x1.2V = 3.6V (rechargable batt) but I put in normal batts which is 3x1.5v = 4.5V. Led Voltage is 3.5V.

Anyone got lobang to buy cheaper Leds? I got mine from SimLim Tower at S$1 each.

I used a semi transparent CD cover. The type where the give out promotional disc. I cant recall where I got mine but it was laying around in my store. I had pasted a white vinyl sticker on the CD cover. IO also thought of using aluminium foil but a better idea struck me. I had asked my clerk to cut out the template on silver sticker paper. (we have a label making machine at office). Will try out that once its done.

Why don't you just use an actual CD - one with a silver, rather then blue or gold surface.

cyber_m0nkey said:
The catch-lights in the subjects eys don't look like they came from a ring-light - nice PP work ;p

Seriously, I've heard of these DIY's before and I think you need a lot more LED's, at least double of what you have now to give you any sort of working distance. The shots above with the ring-light look under by at least a stop.

Salva, nope, I did not do any PP on the photos, If you look closely at 2nd picture, (ringlight #1) the reflection to the right of the white dot in the eye, you would be able to see some sort of a ring of light but its not quite clear.

The site I went to only uses 6 Leds. I thought I would have overkilled with 20 Leds but prooven wrong.

Would it be better if I recluscter them to 2 groups of 10Leds each and place them on each side of the lenses?

dreamerz said:
if u 1 brighter light mayb u can consider Luxeon LEDs...One 3W LuxeonIII is brighter than those small multiple LEDs..but u pay wat u get...it doesnt come cheap...

Mind throwing some lights on this Luxeon LEDs? How much they cost and where to get them?

Thanks.

cyber_m0nkey said:
Why don't you just use an actual CD - one with a silver, rather then blue or gold surface.

I did tried but broke the CD because it not easy to cut the inner circle to mount to the Lenses.

DeSwitch said:
Mind throwing some lights on this Luxeon LEDs? How much they cost and where to get them?

Thanks.
it a very bright kind of LEDs...n it isnt cheap...per led may cost more than $5...it is brighter than multiple typical bright LEDs...but duno SG gt sell or nt...duno noe slt gt sell or nt...
u can see this site for more info...http://www.luxeon.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=7

It's a damn cool looking DIY project u've got there! :thumbsup:

This is how this guy did it with a flash gun.
http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/build-your-own-ring-flash.htm

He's using a different light source but I think the concept is the same; you need some sort of a reflective backing to make the most of your LEDs.

Hobbesyeo said:
It's a damn cool looking DIY project u've got there! :thumbsup:

This is how this guy did it with a flash gun.
http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/build-your-own-ring-flash.htm

He's using a different light source but I think the concept is the same; you need some sort of a reflective backing to make the most of your LEDs.

The one in the link will scare away all the dragonfly and butts before I could shoot them..:bsmilie:

Possible to show photographs of the front and back? Curious to see how you attach the LEDs and wire up everything. The photo with the lights on now kinda flares out the details....

DeSwitch said:
The one in the link will scare away all the dragonfly and butts before I could shoot them..:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.