LED lights

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
I was at a wedding dinner last night. The pro photographer covering the event had two cameras - one for wide shots and one for standard shots (I guess - did not take a close look). On the one with wide lens was a standard pro-flash unit. But on her other camera, she had a small square unit mounted on the flash shoe that shone continuously LED lights when turned on.

Question: any pros and cons for flash vs continuous LED?

Maybe she was using it for video.

From what i read, using continous light will be waste of battery and might distract you subject on a Digital Camera. I might be wrong, also like to know why the photographer do that.

the other camera could be a different brand from her first camera-with-flash-attached therefore maybe have flash compatibility issue .... thus need a constant light source to allow for shooting in A or S mode where the cam is able to take an exposure reading for the constantly lit scene?

Can also consider just slapping on a dummy Yongnuo 460 and set cam at Manual and do same and adjust via +/-

Last edited:
more likely is using it for taking the video with DSLR,

another way using this continuous light source is it as "fill light" when shooting 100% available light.

if its similar to this one, its for video...

IF5elxsWlhb5mf0z2biXPu0zo1_500.jpg

I use the china-made 160 LED set and think it's great as a fill light.. the throw and power is quite impressive. it's been around for a while so I was wondering, are there now any better ones for around the same price?

if its similar to this one, its for video...

IF5elxsWlhb5mf0z2biXPu0zo1_500.jpg

Yes, it is almost like this - but without the mike and the bracket... just camera + LED. So I guess it is for video. But why not a videocam? Hmm...

I use led lights for still and they are normally off camera. The drastic fall off of the lights make for some very nice pictures :)

think i agree with most, must be use for video, or maybe cld be a fill light for up close shots,

TS did u see something like this...
30111_1436106550528_1468908424_1133194_5948946_n.jpg

warning super heavy...;p

how many batteries does this thing use or is the battery built-in ?

where to get?

Wow! Cool! How much is it?

Are these LED lights good enough to replace studio strobe lights?