leaving ur digi cam in aircon room


Status
Not open for further replies.

fastwatch

New Member
Mar 18, 2002
88
0
0
40
-
Visit site
#1
hi,

i've left my cam with the aircon on when i sleep. i didn't realised that the lens get fogged up when i bring it out of the room till recently. when the external surface of the lens start to clear, i noticed that the glass surface on another lens on the inside of the cam just after the aperture is also fogged up, thus it shows a misty effect of a picture i'm about to take when viewed through the LCD. as i was waiting for it to clear, i noticed some spots on the internal lens, resembling faint water markings. however, it is not visible once the condensation has cleared.

does it affect the quality of the pictures? if so, how do i check? or should i send it back for a service or check up? issit covered under warranty?

btw, its a s602z
 

P

Punkie

Guest
#2
Originally posted by fastwatch
hi,

i've left my cam with the aircon on when i sleep. i didn't realised that the lens get fogged up when i bring it out of the room till recently. when the external surface of the lens start to clear, i noticed that the glass surface on another lens on the inside of the cam just after the aperture is also fogged up, thus it shows a misty effect of a picture i'm about to take when viewed through the LCD. as i was waiting for it to clear, i noticed some spots on the internal lens, resembling faint water markings. however, it is not visible once the condensation has cleared.

does it affect the quality of the pictures? if so, how do i check? or should i send it back for a service or check up? issit covered under warranty?

btw, its a s602z
Wah you miss treating a very good DC leh. Hehe. Kidding. Why dont you go out and buy a dry box and store the camera inside with some Silica Gel? As for the fogging just wait til it evaporates lor. I was told not to try to wipe it off. How true i dont know.

As for me, I just dump my DC in my wardrobe and put a tub of those dehumidifiers inside. It works for me. Doesnt fog up each morning. Maybe you can try that.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#3
Originally posted by Punkie
Why dont you go out and buy a dry box and store the camera inside with some Silica Gel? As for the fogging just wait til it evaporates lor. I was told not to try to wipe it off. How true i dont know.

As for me, I just dump my DC in my wardrobe and put a tub of those dehumidifiers inside. It works for me. Doesnt fog up each morning. Maybe you can try that.
fastwatch, punkie is rite, the condensation doesn't really hurt the lens (excessive moisture might fry some circuits inside though). don't really need to wipe off the moisture, just let it dry naturally.anyway you can't really wipe the inside of the lens. if u do want to wipe, make sure u use a "safe" material like lens tissue or camera chamois/cloth.

but if you wanna maintain your camera (and i think you should, considering it's a S602Z), invest in a cheap dry box (about $30-70 depending on size) and a tub of silica gel. that way you don't have to worry about moisture.
 

M

Megadark

Guest
#4
Be careful. Condensation can promote fungal growth.
 

fastwatch

New Member
Mar 18, 2002
88
0
0
40
-
Visit site
#5
thanks for all the advise.

will any kind of silica gel do? meaning that i just pop by a photo shop and get it? and how long do they last?

as for a dry box, i have quite alot of those air tight boxes at home, are they good enough? or do i have to go and get a real dry box? what size is considered big enough?

how much gel should i pour into the box for usage? eg 1/3 of the height of box?
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#6
Originally posted by fastwatch
thanks for all the advise.

will any kind of silica gel do? meaning that i just pop by a photo shop and get it? and how long do they last?

as for a dry box, i have quite alot of those air tight boxes at home, are they good enough? or do i have to go and get a real dry box? what size is considered big enough?

how much gel should i pour into the box for usage? eg 1/3 of the height of box?
If it is air tight, should be good enough.

Get the silica gel in pack form, not the loose form.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#7
Originally posted by fastwatch
will any kind of silica gel do? meaning that i just pop by a photo shop and get it? and how long do they last?
Carrefour sells silica gel quite cheap, like $3.50 a tub. it comes in little balls, and is "colour-coded" - it's deep blue when fresh, and gradually fades to almost transparent when it's almost used up. that's when it's time to change. you also don't really need a lot, like a small palm-ful each time.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom