Leaving Singapore to Canberra, Australia For Student Exchange Programme In Feb 06

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanqiang1011

Jan 22, 2005
Tiny Red Dot...
www.blitzwerkz.com
Dear all,

I will be leaving Singapore to Australian National University at Canberra, Australia next month on the 20th till 6th June 06.

Will be a new experience for me.

Few things I need to know:
-Do I need to buy a voltage converter or something like that for chargers/electricial stuffs?
-Price of one meal at this city?
-Any seniors here visited the city before and any places to go during my free times?

:):):)

Regards

You will need an adapter as their pin is different from SG. The voltage is the same.
Other question I can't really answer as I only visit Canberra as a visitor and that
was some six or seven years ago. One thing I remember is the War museum can take
you one whole day liao.

hanqiang1011 said:
Dear all,

I will be leaving Singapore to Australian National University at Canberra, Australia next month on the 20th till 6th June 06.

-Do I need to buy a voltage converter or something like that for chargers/electricial stuffs?
-Any seniors here visited the city before and any places to go during my free times?

Regards

firstly... :bsmilie:

On a serious note, a simple plug adapter will suffice. Prices of meals vary but do not expect to get great (and cheap) hawker style food in Canberra. There is the art gallery, war memorials, parliament house...

if you are a senior, you will fit in nicely in canberra!!

Yes, you do not need a voltage converter as the current in Oz is 220/230v (about the same as SG) but you do need adapters. Best to get them here as they are cheaper here. Get 2-3 if you have some items of electrical equipment.

You should budget at least A$10 a meal without drinks to be on the safe side. Food courts are a little cheaper - about A$6 - 8.

Other than what has been said in this thread, do go for the outdoors - wineyards, ocean views, & try to go to the mountains that are nearby - Southern Highlands, etc. Skiing is another possibility. For all these activities you do need a car though. Sydney is also a possibility as it is only about 2 -3 hours away by car by the inland route but the ocean road is more interesting for photogs.

hanqiang1011 said:
Dear all,

Regards

I last time I went aus was 2002 at Ex wallaby wif the army..... if I rem correctly, think western food over there is similiar to spore...and if you love to drink, think the beer there is cheap...:bsmilie: ....but the exchange rate was diff at tat time...so maybe others who more familiar can confirm...:)

yup the rest was rite....u need a adapter plug coz the pin in aus is diff.....

maybe u go lib borrow those guide books on australia...think got alot info on where to find good food, places of interest etc etc.......

Buy a power board if you've got many electrical appliances to use, then you only need one adaptor.

I bought this powerboard from Funan which is labelled "for export only", it can fit any plug! Australia plug, Singapore plug :) Just get a power adaptor for it.

But true, it's probably cheaper to get the normal adaptors at $2 each than a powerboard :(

hanqiang1011 said:
Dear all,

Good thing you just missed the very very hot summer. By the time you arrive, it should be approaching autumn and the streets will be very beautiful. Also, you might just make it for the snow season at the Snowy mountains. It's about 2 hours drive, pretty handy. On very cold mornings, you will see snow-capped mountains in the very distant.

Note that most people will find Canberra boring because it is nothing like a fast paced city like Singapore. I have so many friends who had visited me that told me so... ha. But I just love this place, been here for 3+ years, but probably moving on for job commitments.

Given that you are in academia, make some local friends. They will bring you into their local lifestyle which should be a very good experience. It's harder when you are working.

Hi all,

The University side just confirmed that I couldnt get a room due to the overwhelming results. Originally I got a room but since I am only on Student Exchange, the priority is given to the undergraduates there first.

Right now I need a room or hostel. There is a listing of accommodations but I need to consider cos its sharing. Not like the idea of sharing unless after CNY still cant find a place then consider sharing a room.

By any way do you guys know any Canberra's Local Real Estate Agency that can find me a room?

My requirements during the 4 mths stay (20th Feb to 6th June 2006):
-Near to Australian National University
-Own room with toilet/boiling water faclities
-Willing to pay up to A$150 per week or A$500 to A$600 per month

Hope to get some help or advises from you guys.

Thank you so much for your help in whatever ways.

Regards,
Jacky (hanqiang1011)
+65 90048011
hanqiang11@msn.com

hanqiang1011 said:
Ya..... 2nd Year Diploma In Visual Communications, majoring in Photography. Going there to study their 2nd Year Semester 1 in Photomedia.

I see.Are you close to R.Guth? :) You could ask him a tip or two about Canberra too.He should be in Year 3.

All I know is that Cranberra is a boring place... :D

LazerLordz said:
I see.Are you close to R.Guth? :) You could ask him a tip or two about Canberra too.He should be in Year 3.

Hi,

I met him and talked to him when he was at Singapore on Exchange.

He is willing to help too.

Is he well-known there in Canberra? he seems quite pro... Hee Hee...

Regards

Sion said:
Cranberra would probably be the only place where pron is legalized in this country.

So it won't be that boring if you're an avid reader. Or ending up as a photographer's assistant. :bsmilie:

But I on exchanged leh... No local photographer can employ me as an assistant unless under the table... :)

Sion said:
Cranberra would probably be the only place where pron is legalized in this country.

So it won't be that boring if you're an avid reader. Or ending up as a photographer's assistant. :bsmilie:
Wahaha... now that does make Cranberra look interesting ain't it? :bsmilie:

hanqiang1011 said:
But I on exchanged leh... No local photographer can employ me as an assistant unless under the table... :)
You want to be paid for such a job? Thought the visuals are already good enough payment? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.