Leaving Oly camp ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbuff

Aug 18, 2004
www.pbase.com
Lately see a lot of people sellin off their E-1, care to share which camp u all moving to?

1) Digitalbuff - comtemplating moving to Nikon camp (D200). I usu take in low light situation so good pics at high ISOs is a welcome. My last 20D provided me that but i hate that round button at the back which keeps shifting (the apeture/shutter) accidentally unless u lock it.

digitalbuff said:
Lately see a lot of people sellin off their E-1, care to share which camp u all moving to?

1) Digitalbuff - comtemplating moving to Nikon camp (D200). I usu take in low light situation so good pics at high ISOs is a welcome. My last 20D provided me that but i hate that round button at the back which keeps shifting (the apeture/shutter) accidentally unless u lock it.
hm. do you have existing nikon lens? care to share your reasons for migrating?

chii: were u thinking of nikon as well? what made you change your mind?

KrY0LiT3 said:

No got nothing. Will just use the kit lens or buy the 50mm 1.8mm (cheap and good lens).

Reason is cos I am a gadget person and like new toys :) But also cos a lot of shots of my baby are blur in low light situations and High ISO is very noisy in Oly even at ISO400.

digitalbuff said:
No got nothing. Will just use the kit lens or buy the 50mm 1.8mm (cheap and good lens).

Reason is cos I am a gadget person and like new toys :) But also cos a lot of shots of my baby are blur in low light situations and High ISO is very noisy in Oly even at ISO400.
hm. i've developed iso400 shots from my e1 unprocessed and compared it with film. not much difference really. i use >800 sometimes too.

actually i dun mind the noise lah. noise can be cleaned up. blur cant. gah gah up the iso lah. lol. i actually like grain in b&w film btw. it gives pictures more erm... "feeling"? and makes photos look more like photos.

but that's just me. my e1 gives very similar results to film, which is one reason y i love it. :)

if the noise bothers you den y not canon? they have pretty good noise control at high iso.

KrY0LiT3 said:
hm. i've developed iso400 shots from my e1 unprocessed and compared it with film. not much difference really. i use >800 sometimes too.

actually i dun mind the noise lah. noise can be cleaned up. blur cant. gah gah up the iso lah. lol. i actually like grain in b&w film btw. it gives pictures more erm... "feeling"? and makes photos look more like photos.

but that's just me. my e1 gives very similar results to film, which is one reason y i love it. :)

if the noise bothers you den y not canon? they have pretty good noise control at high iso.

Well, I have been in the Canon camp before owning the 20D so now I want to try Nikon. I am a bit seow i guess... but anyway just contemplating la, if cant sell the E1 at a "proper" price, i will just keep it and save until can get the D200.

KrY0LiT3 said:

chii: were u thinking of nikon as well? what made you change your mind?

woot was tinkin D-200, but

- existing nikkor lens (the 85mm f1.4 is a nice one)
- not much time so extra cost to set up new sys not justified
- invested pretty heavily into E-sys

digitalbuff said:
Well, I have been in the Canon camp before owning the 20D so now I want to try Nikon. I am a bit seow i guess... but anyway just contemplating la, if cant sell the E1 at a "proper" price, i will just keep it and save until can get the D200.

why not wait for oly to announce the new E.

The dark side of the force is strong with the D200! :devil:

Oly better bring out the next E fast!

digitalbuff said:
When new E arrives, i switch back haha.

woo.. beware the dark side of the force!

it will take a 'luke skywalker' ( Perhaps E3) to save you. :cool:

I also like gadgets. I had a D70 and minolta 7D. now thinking of switching to canon. The high canon prices in Singapore is putting me off.

If I switch, I will get the 17-40 70-200 f4 lens. Parfocal, L lens, should be good enough for me. Not too expensive. But the bad thing is it seems that the 20D autofocus sensor is much more accurate with f2.8 lens...

I am selling my 14-54mm off tmr :) I will wait for until feb hopefully to see what olympus has up their sleeves. If I stay with oly, probably is the 11-22, 50-200mm. and maybe a 35mm macro.

I pixel peep a LOT and my conclusion is the 20D ISO800 seems to be like my E1 ISO400. And ISO400 is very usuable for E1. For ISO800 the picture detail starts to smudge.

Actually why not minolta? The 5D is REALLY CHEAP!!!! quite amazing, $1160 for kit + 1gb. Used to think that my 7D cost me $2+k body only. And the 5D has all the impt stuff of the 7D.

You selling off your 14-54? hmmz....
Was actually thinkin of selling my 50mm macro and get the 14-54.. considering its a more versatile range and the image quality isnt that much of a difference. Yes, its true i will lose my macro abilities..

thinking selling off my oly system OR getting the 11-22mm. kind of bored with the 14-54 after getting my 50-200mm. If I need the tele end of 50mm, I usually use the 50-200mm as it is f2.8 at 50mm.

Nikons have very good noise control at high ISOs. Even the cheapo Coolpix 4300 can yield such results. Again, no crop, no tripod and no flash. But I'm sticking with the Olympus system as I love the colors and its range of lenses cover the useful range that I use.

Hong Kong 2004
220d5c4571bfcc08cf6f3a9516613f84.jpg

South Korea 2003
1dscn0856.jpg

Turkey 2002
83860634_52d41f71db.jpg

Raptor1 said:
You selling off your 14-54? hmmz....
Was actually thinkin of selling my 50mm macro and get the 14-54.. considering its a more versatile range and the image quality isnt that much of a difference. Yes, its true i will lose my macro abilities..

the 14~54 is a nice lens . U will luv it .
:lovegrin:

chii said:
the 14~54 is a nice lens . U will luv it .
:lovegrin:
i second third fourth fifth that! keep your 50mm and sell your kit lah raptor. but kit lens hard to sell though.

heard the next E is coming very soon. wait for PMA & see what other camps r offering too. no hurry for this kind of gadgets really. ;)

i always use flash for my babies but not direct in the eyes. bounced it with a card or a diffuser on the front wud do. :) my baby pics r still ISO 100, no grain & properly exposed.

Me too. I like to use bounced flash and ISO 100 to take photos of my baby. To me, without proper lighting, even bumping high ISO, I get lack of contrast pictures.

ISO 100, 40-150, 1/160s bounced flash, resized only:

p1270992_20060110095056.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.