Leave from NS to study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
Hi all,

Enlisting on the 6th Feb (anyone else?), pes B. Should be 9 weeks BMT.

Can someone shed some light on what happens immediately after BMT ?? Thing is, I have papers early May and would like to take about two weeks off before them to study i.e immediately after BMT. How?:sweat:

Thanks!

If you passed your IPPT test prior you should be in the Enhanced batch in BMT which is 9 weeks.
In your questions on what happens right after BMT, do you mean after POP? usually you'll have block leave. If you are lucky it might coincide with the time you need to study..
Do not count on them to give you time off to study. But just curious, how come you still have papers to take?

Hi all,

Enlisting on the 6th Feb (anyone else?), pes B. Should be 9 weeks BMT.

Can someone shed some light on what happens immediately after BMT ?? Thing is, I have papers early May and would like to take about two weeks off before them to study i.e immediately after BMT. How?:sweat:

Thanks!

bro i wish i can give you good advice but bmt has changed since 1990!

i can only suggest this - write in to mindef formally asap and inform them of your exams from x date to y date. your exams must of course be acredited i.e. life insurance exam or driving test dont count.

Hi, seanlim.
Honestly the chances of you getting 2 weeks off to study or take your exam is very slim.
Sorry to have to say that. But in the Army, they are the King.
You are officially employed by Mindef and it's really not like a civilian company that one can negotiate with.
One week block leave after you POP from BMT, you get your posting, and off you go to another new chapter.

Time off to study is close to impossible, especially for private education. If you are lucky, they will give you time off to go take your exams.

bro i wish i can give you good advice but bmt has changed since 1990!

i can only suggest this - write in to mindef formally asap and inform them of your exams from x date to y date. your exams must of course be acredited i.e. life insurance exam or driving test dont count.

I won't suggest that he ignore the chain of command... :sweat:
His PC/CO is gonna be very pissed...

TS, always ask the person in charge of you... different camp and different people in charge have different guidelines.

will not be approved for sure. unless is retake O and A level. nothing else matters. But those are defer from NS to go back to sch.

No need to write because they won't entertain u. why i know? because i had one case like this before when i was in NS. OC reply: Go tell that kid you think this is your lao pei army. happy happy go take exam must allow u is it?

It has to be some real critical exam for them to give allowance. private sch etc all not counted

I won't suggest that he ignore the chain of command... :sweat:
His PC/CO is gonna be very pissed...

TS, always ask the person in charge of you... different camp and different people in charge have different guidelines.

yes. skip chain of command- Charge....no question ask. don't do that if i am u. go thru PC and OC first

i see how ppl like to write to MP la etc etc for complaint....sure kanna charge and go DB sometimes......

hi TS, i was a mp in serving army, ord not long ago. fyi, to take leave during ur course in BMTC, is 99% impossible. ur leave is frozen to use only after u pass out from ur course, is stated in SOP, when you are a recruit, you will have no welfare or sowhatever. u can only clear 14days leave after passout from bmtc, till you are enlist to your respective unit. unless you want to take MC, provided you are able to take 3days from sunday onwards. but of cause i wont recommend that :nono:

Hmm..

so after BMT, would be a week or two block leave? then posted to other unit.
If the IC is nice, can let me take 1-2 weeks off to study. i.e burn up block leave?
If not I gg -.-

Yes, taking private exam. (IB, May paper)

geezz..... you should have thought about that when they notified you a year or more earlier ...... (and they will probably tell you that too)

there are ways to study for it while in-camp and perhaps they might allow you to TAKE the exam(s) if you beg humbly

Last edited:
Hmm..

so after BMT, would be a week or two block leave? then posted to other unit.
If the IC is nice, can let me take 1-2 weeks off to study. i.e burn up block leave?
If not I gg -.-

Yes, taking private exam. (IB, May paper)

No, you won't see your IC till you ORD. :bsmilie:

Anyway, very unlikely they will let you do so...

No harm asking. Just ask nicely.

No harm asking. Just ask nicely.

ha ha I really doubt it...... over the last 30+ years of NSF...... this stunt has been tried countless times at this early stage of enlistment...... the 'take time off to study' ruse is one of the most tried tatics in the history of NS

IF your exam falls in the evening ..... you might have some chance to take a few hours off to go sit for the paper.

BUT as others have said, give it a try and ask anyway........ who knows? The Army might have gotten softer on little boys nowadays

Last edited:
even if you try, you will only get marked, or some pumpings, fyi, tekong ferry terminal got timing one, one of the reason why they dont recruits to do such "stunts" if they give u time off, as a recruit, you are still very new to the army, anything happen to you, SAF and MINDEF will be responsible for everything, EXAMPLE: accidents/you doing illegal stuff outside capture by media. because of approving ur time off for studies, and who get the shot? your PC/OC/CO. something they wont risk it. as when you are posted out to unit, getting time off shouldnt be much a problem

fyi, its not too late to visit cmpb and request for a defer now :sweatsm:

Kinda near impossible but anything can happen.

As for my case, I was given unrecorded leave to start my poly course even though I have not ORD. To be precise, that was a good 5 days. Course start 5 days before I ORD. Holding just that 11B on my first day of school gave my classmates some degree of surprise. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Kinda near impossible but anything can happen.

As for my case, I was given unrecorded leave to start my poly course even though I have not ORD. To be precise, that was a good 5 days. Course start 5 days before I ORD. Holding just that 11B on my first day of school gave my classmates some degree of surprise. :bsmilie:

your case is ORD...... meaning you are an expiring old bird leaving the army

this one above is a fresh going-to-be-recruit just going into NS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.