Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

9mm

May 28, 2005
SINGAPORE
Want to ask for opinion. I am newbie photographer, just upgraded from traditional manual SLR to Nikon D70. I have no experience in taking models, although I am required to take photos of my gf once in a while. She does not know how to pose, and I do not know how to tell her how to pose too.

My questions are:

1. Should I go for one of these courses on, say, fashion or modelling photography?
2. Or should I join one of these organised shoots?
3. Or should I hire a pro model, MUA and learn from her how to pose?

To me, money is for spending and not exactly important, but I want to have a steep learning curve.

Please advise.

Cheap and slow way.... read magazine and offer TFCD

moderate and sure win way.... join paid shoot and courses

Expansive way.... hire professional model

9mm said:
Want to ask for opinion. I am newbie photographer, just upgraded from traditional manual SLR to Nikon D70. I have no experience in taking models, although I am required to take photos of my gf once in a while. She does not know how to pose, and I do not know how to tell her how to pose too.

My questions are:

1. Should I go for one of these courses on, say, fashion or modelling photography?

To me, money is for spending and not exactly important, but I want to have a steep learning curve.

Please advise.

Organize shoot you learn by experience and trial&error... can be expensive and learning curve depends on you. Courses is more guaranteed... not only u learn the right way but also learn from yours or your "classmate"'s mistakes.. it also has the element of organize shoot (makeup n model posing). Try join the SLCC makeover + posing course.

shoot alone....conceptualize ya ideas properly.....

ya learning curve is largely dependant on u..... if u got totally no knowledge...courses may be a start...but so is looking at other ppl's shots here... image the workflow...then experiment with it..

cheers..

SLCC has just conducted their "improved" MAKEOVER photography workshop. With their revised syllaus, you can learn the necessary from them to take nice pics of your gf :)

Under 'TOWKAY' Stanley, Joanne and Weiliang ....you are in good hands ;)

Do a search and give them a call ..HURRY as their course is starting soon !

Happy shooting !

Firstly.. welcome to the digital side... of Photography

Well... this is what i normally do... (Im also a n00b photographer with some graphics background. I started shooting pictures in last Dec, and got my DSLR in Feb 05 only.) So these are my 2 Cents worth of suggestions... you can agree or disagree with me.

1. I read books... and magazines. Read as much as you can. And grab Photo-i Magazines monthly... haha. They are quite informative.

2. I go out with my friends for shooting practice sometimes... its fun. Get some friends, or ask your girlfriend/wife to pose... most of your lady friends shall be willing to pose for you, if you're holding a DSLR.

3. I join Paid shoots. I recommend CHARBY's shoots... I've been to his shoots, and he normally provides great models with good makeup. You can also join other organizers like AhV and more... And learn from other photographers from these events... there's nothing wrong to learn from them.

4. Upload your photos to be criticized... (if you dont like CS, there are other places to upload your images also.) But sometimes... remember, not all critics are good. Some have their own different taste of the images... So take some.. and ignore some of the crits.

5. And attend courses and workshops if you have time and $$

Good luck with your photographic career/hobby...
its a fun thing for sure!

9mm said:

If you meant what you wrote, then engage the services of a professional who does the kind of photography you want to do. Make it a one-to-one tuition spread over a few weekends. It will be tailored to your experience, needs and expectations.

You should not hire an experienced model because while she may know how to "pose" (Oh how I hate that!) she does not know photography which is what you are trying to learn.

Forget about learning from magazines. You may be interested in a "pose", but when faced with a real person, you will promptly forget everything! And magazines do not show you how the photographs were taken. These might be useful for people who already have some knowledge of photography, to get ideas.

You should not join photo-shoots because while you may make friends and learn from your fellow "shooters", the main aim for the other photographers is to take pictures. Not teach you. Yes, the kinder ones (and undoubtedly there are many) may take time to assist you, but it will not be their priority.

There is no better way to cut short the learning curve than by learning from a professional to instruct you personally.

That is, if money is not exactly important, as you alluded to.

Oh, BTW, changing a film camera to a DSLR is not an upgrading. It is about changing a medium. Not upgrading.

9mm said:

My questions are:

Please advise.
btw, happy birthday. :)

9mm said:

My questions are:

Please advise.
shoot a lot. If you are required to shoot your gf once awhile, change that to alot or not. After getting a hang of pointing your camera at a model/your gf, joing some shoot, then repeat the whole thing again. Worked for me.

Foundations skills in photography must be strong.. U can pick up courses that u will learn on composition of your pics, posing and most important communication with the model.. or as KO mentioned.. follow a master.. heh.. or maybe a few good masters.. ;p

U need to shoot and shoot and get critisms.. learn from mistakes and try again.. develop your style as times goes by..

Portraiture is the most difficult and versatile in photography.. Good luck!

for me is see some magazine... then starting try to copy they skill of posing to shoot my model(my girl friends)...so sometime add some my idea inside...ha ha.but after first time,my model start to know a bit of skill of posing oh..

student said:
If you meant what you wrote, then engage the services of a professional who does the kind of photography you want to do. Make it a one-to-one tuition spread over a few weekends. It will be tailored to your experience, needs and expectations.

You should not hire an experienced model because while she may know how to "pose" (Oh how I hate that!) she does not know photography which is what you are trying to learn.

Forget about learning from magazines. You may be interested in a "pose", but when faced with a real person, you will promptly forget everything! And magazines do not show you how the photographs were taken. These might be useful for people who already have some knowledge of photography, to get ideas.

You should not join photo-shoots because while you may make friends and learn from your fellow "shooters", the main aim for the other photographers is to take pictures. Not teach you. Yes, the kinder ones (and undoubtedly there are many) may take time to assist you, but it will not be their priority.

There is no better way to cut short the learning curve than by learning from a professional to instruct you personally.

That is, if money is not exactly important, as you alluded to.

Oh, BTW, changing a film camera to a DSLR is not an upgrading. It is about changing a medium. Not upgrading.

Dear student,

You are right... Like driving, I am prepared to pay. TFP will not work for me now Like I mentioned, I do not have portrature experience. I do not mind hiring a professional, but would that also be "copying his style?" I have read the critique section, and it seems that "one man's meat is another man's poison". Also, what criteria should I base on to hire the professional?

You mentioned not to hire experienced models: Why? Was thinking that since she is experienced, she would have some standard poses already. Would I be better off starting with these poses and then slowly build up my own style?

Your advise and comments will be much appreciated.

Mike

9mm said:
Thanks... You actually read my profile...
It's at the bottom of the main page of the forums.

9mm said:
Dear student,

You are right... Like driving, I am prepared to pay. TFP will not work for me now Like I mentioned, I do not have portrature experience. I do not mind hiring a professional, but would that also be "copying his style?" I have read the critique section, and it seems that "one man's meat is another man's poison". Also, what criteria should I base on to hire the professional?

You mentioned not to hire experienced models: Why? Was thinking that since she is experienced, she would have some standard poses already. Would I be better off starting with these poses and then slowly build up my own style?

Your advise and comments will be much appreciated.

Mike

I wrote the way I did because I felt that your main objective is to cut short the learning curve. If money is no objection, getting a professional to give your private coaching is, in my opinion, the quickest way.

At your stage, you need not worry about "copying" the teacher's style. Everybody learn by copying. Having the teacher to guide you will quicky help you to deal with the issues of technical matters, learning how to work with models etc. You will gain confidence that teachers are also humans, and can make mistakes. But you will learn how they deal with mistakes. Learning from a teacher is to lay the foundation for you to explore further. At this stage I dare say you will have no idea what kind of portrait photography you are really interested in. So, get use to the equioments, get use to seeing light, get use to working with another person, and you will be along the way. Then join photo-shoots. Then, if you are interested and able (financially) get a model for private one-one shoot leaisurely.

Portraiture is not about poses. I just photographed a model (professional) last week. My initial directive to her was "DO NOT POSE". I am not the least interested in "poses". I get professsional models because firstly they are comfortable in front of the camera. Secondly they have features which I like. Portraiture is about making a story about the sitter, your girlfriend. What do you see in her? Her infectious laugh? Her ever so captivating mood? These are things you photograph. Not the poses -which are so very superficial.

They are many CSer's here who are professionals who can take you through the art of portrait making - in studio and out of studio. With artificial lights and with natural lights. Casual, formal, snaps, fashion etc etc. If you need recommendations, I can always refer some to you.

Attend a course to understand the basics.
Then shoot, shoot, shoot. (plenty of both here in CS)

I did it the other way round, was shooting since my teens and didn't find out what i didn't know until i attended some courses.

It is really a good idea to shoot people who does not know how to pose. Anybody can get a nice picture of a super-model. But the girl next door? That's where the skills will come in :D

Status
Not open for further replies.