Learning to use photoshop. Comments needed for processed photo.

kaixinxuan

Mar 27, 2012
Hi all,

I am learning to use photoshop and has processed the following photo. The original photo is taken at 9am in the morning. I feel the color for the buildings and sky is too dull. So wanted to make it more vivid. Need some comments to make it better. Things which I have processed include the below:-

1) Added more tone to the sky using "gradient" then "overlay". However, i find that the sky is not that nice. How can I make it better? I have read about taking good pictures of skies and using them for processing of pictures. Is this a better method?
2) Cropped away the "unwanted" buildings at the side using the "crop" function.
3) Increase the colors of the buildings by using saturation.

Pre-processed photo

7327262976_6a09afa7d2_z.jpg

Processed photo

7327248108_7c8a0b77a4_z.jpg

Hope to receive comments from seniors so that I can take note and improve. Thanks.

its pretty imo. i am not senior though =P

Why don't you post your pics in the Critique Corner? I think you will get more constructive comments there.

Wait for better light and shoot again. The white halo around the building is obvious and not natural. For further comments please use Gallery section or Critics Corner.

when the sky is not nice, or the lighting is not right, I would rather wait for another day has better weather and come back to shoot.
tho photoshop can do wonders, but you had missed the meaning of capture the right moment.

btw, nobody tell you about this angle is a little too offensive? well if it is fine with you than just forget what I've said.

hahah i get your point catchlights ! ^^

Haha! So funny!

when the sky is not nice, or the lighting is not right, I would rather wait for another day has better weather and come back to shoot.
tho photoshop can do wonders, but you had missed the meaning of capture the right moment.

btw, nobody tell you about this angle is a little too offensive? well if it is fine with you than just forget what I've said.

haha you mentioned it.. recalls many years back when the esplanade was build, people say the above view is to show it to Malaysia and I think Malaysia got a counter picture :bsmilie:

just wondering,
if I shot at this angle and upload to my stock agency, and the inspectors don't throw it out of windows, would it make it to the top download hot file or not? :think:

just wondering,
if I shot at this angle and upload to my stock agency, and the inspectors don't throw it out of windows, would it make it to the top download hot file or not? :think:

provided if the majority sees it in the same light as you did.. I didn't notice what it would have meant without you mentioning it ;p

provided if the majority sees it in the same light as you did.. I didn't notice what it would have meant without you mentioning it ;p
Indecency is in the eye of the beholder :)

haha remember seeing a similar shot a few years ago with the intent of showing it in that way
thought people will remember and avoid ;)

back to the question I think when you boosted the saturation, the blue in the buildings looks too saturated
as you can see the seniors will say better to get the shot in-camera, then only retouch a bit in software to suit the medium you are sharing it in
unless you're a master retoucher then that's another matter, can turn night into day, or cutting and pasting nice sky into a dull photo (with all the reflections probably need a lot of work to make it look real) =)
so in the end you have to decide which camp you are in and spend your time either waiting for the correct light or working on the post-processing
whatever it is enjoy what you do :)

Looks pretty ok to me, except for the whitish halo projecting out the Marriott.
If the sky is not good, its not good. Its hard to bring back too much blue sky if it was not there in the 1st place.

I'd straighten the building a tad bit.

Thanks all for the comments. I never thought the picture looks abit offensive till u guys point out. Did not mean anything. Will learn from all the comments. Hope to get better shots the next time around. I do hope i can do it right with my camera and minimise on post processing. I am taking this picture to learn photoshop by reading on the net etc. Appreciate it.

Do note that lens used will affect color and contrast, if you want to get it right in the camera.
In your un-processed image, the image is unsaturated and low in contrast. It could be because of the existing light (hazy light) but lens do play apart.

Like for example the Canon 50f1.2 is know to produce vibrant colors.
And I have tested on my own that the Canon17-55f2.8 produces more contrast than the Tamron17-50f2.8

It looks like you already know what is "aesthetically pleasing" to you and you want to achieve it via Photoshop if you can't achieve it in the camera.
Don't worry, you're already a step ahead of many. All you need is some Photoshop training in which is available in the form of tutorials online!
Get to know the functions and choose a few tools you like to use and focus on them first. There is no way to learn/utilize every tool in Photoshop in a short period.

Like some people like to use the clone tool, while i prefer to use the spot tool.

Thanks all for the comments. I never thought the picture looks abit offensive till u guys point out. Did not mean anything. Will learn from all the comments. Hope to get better shots the next time around. I do hope i can do it right with my camera and minimise on post processing. I am taking this picture to learn photoshop by reading on the net etc. Appreciate it.

Don't worry... I did it also many years back...

3597262583_2718b45ca9.jpg

there is a saying of "be at the right time at the right place",
the same goes to photography,
learn from experience to pick when is the right time and where is the right place to show up.