Learning to take good landscape photos

justsochubby

Dec 15, 2011
Simei estate

Changi Sunset Walk.jpg by justsochubby, on Flickr

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I am still new to landscape, the picture look alright to me but I would like to hear more from the clubsnappers

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I hope I can hear honest feed-backs so I can improve on my composition and works in the future.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?

Taken at around 6plus, Taken using Canon 600D 10-22mm with tripod and remote.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.

i think the overall feel is good but hope to get more feedbacks and pointers so I can improve in the future

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Appreciated

U used HDR ah? The pole on the extreme right of the photo touching the right vertical frame is quite distracting

The most important thing about landscape photography is
1) The right timing and weather ... which is sunrise/sunset... 6pm is ok...try waiting until like 7pm onwards to do long exposure.
2) A good tripod and remote shutter release
3) composition - lesser is more and also try to compose your subject without too many distracting stuff in it.
4) Try to take multiple exposure
5) Just keep taking....

Take a look at my flickr stream Flickr: Wang Guowen (gw.wang)'s Photostream

My humble views as below:

1) the small tree/plant at the left side, doesn't add to the photo and is snatching attention away from the sunset. Omitting it from the photo may be a better idea.

2) the railing on the right corner of photo doesn't lead continuously(blocked by the vertical wooden pillar) to the centre where the sunset is. Maybe you can move further up front the bridge, more to the right to exclude the distractions. Then give more space for the railings, such that they can lead in with more impact, from the bottom of the photo. Not sure whether is it feasible, perhaps you can even move to the centre of the bridge and position the left right railings of the bridge at the bottom corners of the photo.

Yea I have to admit the small tree is abit distracting. HAHA This is not HDR? Just the original shot.

Hi Gwwang, I think your photo in your flickr, you do too much adjustments to it. Keep it as original as better, it will look much better. My humble opinion:)

justsochubby said:
Hi Gwwang, I think your photo in your flickr, you do too much adjustments to it. Keep it as original as better, it will look much better. My humble opinion:)

Haha. Yeah. I don't denied most are heavily photoshopped =]

Hi Justsochubby,

No key subject here..and kind of messy with the bush on the left .

justsochubby said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61183389@N08/6990421701/
Changi Sunset Walk.jpg by justsochubby, on Flickr

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I am still new to landscape, the picture look alright to me but I would like to hear more from the clubsnappers

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I hope I can hear honest feed-backs so I can improve on my composition and works in the future.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?

Taken at around 6plus, Taken using Canon 600D 10-22mm with tripod and remote.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.

i think the overall feel is good but hope to get more feedbacks and pointers so I can improve in the future

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Appreciated

Hi

My question:

What are you trying to show us?
1.sky?
2.sea or ???

This is important before u shoot, you need to think or any idea of what are you going to show and what are to trying to achieve.

Suggest:

try to find a leading line or any nice fore-gourd as you subject, if does not have any leading line or fore-gourd try to shoot more the subject u want...

The leading line is the bridge to the sunset. I have to agree the bush is the spoiler of the photo. HAHA