Learning Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

myder

Feb 18, 2004
Any tips on how/where to start how to do macro photography?

Thanks

1. get the right kit?
me macro-newbie too, I'm using a +10 hoya filter, was told it might be overkill :p
2. pick your subject of interest?

cheers

ah!
Azone was kind enuff to give me some pointers on macro in my earlier post for help nice chap!
cheers

PS just realised I kept Macro mode on when shooting closeups....duh.... :confused:

THANKS GUYS...u are GEMS!!! :cheergal:

steely said:
ah!
Azone was kind enuff to give me some pointers on macro in my earlier post for help nice chap!
cheers

PS just realised I kept Macro mode on when shooting closeups....duh.... :confused:

Good grief...was skimming through the article listed below and, correct me if I've misunderstood but, we are not supposed to use macro mode when shooting macros? That explains all my blurry shots... :( Double DUH!

Well, the macro mode on most camera has a very shallow dept of field, that could explain the blury shots... Well, it really depends on what you want to shoot, and what effects you have in mind. And oh yeah... tripod, tripod... it's really difficult to focus when hand holding in macro mode, and a slight shift of distance will bring your subject out of focus.

Above is based on my limited knowledge on macro... played a little of it in the past... So, correct me if i'm wrong.

The macro mode on most digicams are meant to allow the lens to focus as close as 2-3cm from the subject, so that magnification is huge. Such a close distance is, however, not practical, esp for wildlife macros. Therefore, most macro enthusiasts use close-up filter(s) as an add-on to their camera lens. Close-up filter(s) allow the cam to focus at a longer distance (e.g., 12cm or more depending on the diopter rating of the filter) and yet achieving maginification higher than the built-in macro mode. With such setup, the macro mode is no longer necessary.

Oooooh....no wonder....I was trying to take pictures of flowers and realised that the only instance I could gain a little clarity was when I went real close and only took the centre/ core of the flowers....but I doh wannnnnnnnnn.....I wanna take the whole flower :(

Question:

1. What then is the macro mode for?

2. How to take close-ups with tripod? Like when you are trying to get into little corners etc and the tripod is too rigid/ bulky/ stiff etc etc etc?

Thankee kindly.

Trish, I posted a similar question some time back ... u may wanna check out the replies here ...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=61472

TRiShnDaisy said:
Oooooh....no wonder....I was trying to take pictures of flowers and realised that the only instance I could gain a little clarity was when I went real close and only took the centre/ core of the flowers....but I doh wannnnnnnnnn.....I wanna take the whole flower :(

Question:

2. How to take close-ups with tripod? Like when you are trying to get into little corners etc and the tripod is too rigid/ bulky/ stiff etc etc etc?

Thankee kindly.

Hi ndroo....no leh....doesn't help very much...or maybe I just dun geddit :cry:

Btw, your flower is in a far far better shape than mine. :cry: :cry: :cry:

err ... maybe a bit more practice will do. i m pretty blur myself :bsmilie:

TRiShnDaisy said:
Hi ndroo....no leh....doesn't help very much...or maybe I just dun geddit :cry:

Btw, your flower is in a far far better shape than mine. :cry: :cry: :cry:

TRiShnDaisy said:

with advice from forumers and Azone's webbie, I got my macro practise into gear again, for tight areas i hv the same prob. What i did was still to use the tripod but with legs extended and not opened, and use the timer for the shot.
With the timer, I can concentrate on just keeping the camera stable.

A dedicated Monopod seems like a good idea, or ultilise whatever support found. The other solution mebbe would be those rifle-butt grips?

TRiShnDaisy said:

Question:

Thankee kindly.

If you're going to take the whole flower (e.g., orchid, rose), then bascially you might not need to use close-up filter at all. Just zoom using your cam and you should be able to capture the whole flower. If the magnification is really insufficient, a +2 close-up filter is a pretty good alternative.

1. Macro mode can be used for taking small still life objects (things that don't get frightened by your cam being so close to it).

2. If the terrain/situation doesn't favour the use of a tripod, maybe can try a monopod or even handheld.

Okie...TRiSh has got to practise and practise some more...

Thanks everyone!

3 simple tips
- know your camera well
- understand your object behaviour
- practise more

i'm still a newbie for marco but i'm trying very hard to be a so called pro :p what i so far learnt from advise from web and personal experience. you really have to slowly apporach the insects u trying to shoot. not scaring them off. pratice more and you'll know how to approach in the best way. get a close up filter. it really do some good to ur marco photography. just my 0.01cent :D

sorry to hijack ur thread.. but i really abit confuse over.. why there is a need in tripod for shooting marco. i personally think that taking a tripod will be more unconvience to approach the insects.. any kind-soul pros can enlighten me over this point??

Stability?
eivdently there are some just like me for instance, whose hands shake and almost qualify as symptoms of parkinson's disease ... I need a tripod to stabilise, but as I take macros of inanimate objects; the subject does not flutter and fly away :p

Status
Not open for further replies.