Learning Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbaron1963

Dec 9, 2004
Central
I would like to learn golf. There's a range at Sin Ming which is near my house. Any golfers here (besides being a photography lover) who can give recommendation how to go about it ?

redbaron1963 said:
I would like to learn golf. There's a range at Sin Ming which is near my house. Any golfers here (besides being a photography lover) who can give recommendation how to go about it ?

I am also started to learn.. Best way to go is to get a coach...learn the proper technique, etc...You can go to the Asia Golf Academy to look for a coach...

BTW, I stay near by too.. Maybe we can go play one day... :think:

redbaron1963 said:
Get a PGA approved instuctor. Forget about getting those unlicensed who teach as a "profession", though they might be cheap. It's better to get your technique correct first. I've seen many people hit in very funny ways and their balls also fly in funny directions... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
My current club is Laguna National and Orchid Country Club...great instructors and golf courses there... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wynx,

Are you using a coach from the Asian G A at Bishan ? Any name to recommend ?
I'm a total newbie to this - a friend gave up the sport and sold me a complete set of Dunlop beginners clubs for $50 - so I thought why not give this sport a try.

redbaron1963 said:
Wynx,

Are you using a coach from the Asian G A at Bishan ? Any name to recommend ?
I'm a total newbie to this - a friend gave up the sport and sold me a complete set of Dunlop beginners clubs for $50 - so I thought why not give this sport a try.
Costs of balls (even range balls) are quite ex, so go for it only if you're really keen! :)
(It's a good sport, can play with business partners and settle deals on the course...[tt's what I heard some high executives do... :dunno: ])

I think you can start by hitting some balls....Quite a few places like Orchid Country Club also have. It's not too exp.. maybe $10 for 50 balls or more, i can't rem as my father-in-law is a golf fanatic....

I am thinking of picking it up for social purposes as mentioned, it's pretty good sport that enable you to chat and work on deals (in my case, prob network with top mgt) as well as get some exercise...

Asian G A at Bishan 50 balls for 3.50

I didn't get a trainer, but just pick up some basic and a golf set from my dad and started wacking ;p

Good sports to train up your concerntration. Althou I might not pick up as fast as those with trainers, but I go to the range on and off, so I guess that will surface at the moment...

You'll feel the pain when :

1. You start hitting new balls into water hazards ... over and over again :)

2. You take "friendly" wagers with people with buaya handicaps ...

3. You get hooked and play every week ... green fees, drinks, meals, buggies, caddies ...

4. You acquire BBB virus ... a new putter here, a new set of irons there, maybe a new Kryptonite driver ...

:bsmilie:

The learning path doesn't sound too different from photography actually !
Trying this game out in anticipation of work/networking needs.

Just updating this thread...

I am considering taking up the course at Orchid Country CLub. Anyone interested, please pm me. Thanks.

Some said that Photography is expensive, then Golf is very, very expensive. A reasonable full set of clubs with bag is more than 1k and that is only the begining.

A game of golf would set you back like 120 to 150 bucks in Singapore. Or if you're prepared to drive up to JB and spend a little less, like 70 to 80 bucks, but spend much more time like practically one whole day for a 18 hole game. and you need shoes, gloves, balls, hat, sunblock, sunglass etc.....

Well, can always give it a try to have a feel of what it's like. And for those who shun the sun, golf is not for you. A 18 hole game readily last 4 to 5 hours.

Hi redbaron1963,
It'll be even more fun learning golf if you can find about three good friends to form a group with you. Having a group would also reduce the lesson fees, and you could encourage one another as you go along. You and your friends would also be able to form a flight to play golf together after you get your PC / handicap.

smallaperture said:
Some said that Photography is expensive, then Golf is very, very expensive. A reasonable full set of clubs with bag is more than 1k and that is only the begining.

A game of golf would set you back like 120 to 150 bucks in Singapore. Or if you're prepared to drive up to JB and spend a little less, like 70 to 80 bucks, but spend much more time like practically one whole day for a 18 hole game. and you need shoes, gloves, balls, hat, sunblock, sunglass etc.....

Well, can always give it a try to have a feel of what it's like. And for those who shun the sun, golf is not for you. A 18 hole game readily last 4 to 5 hours.
i agree that golf is not cheap. However, it does have its benefits. It's at least some form of exercise and i find it quite relaxing.

If you have chance to go overseas to play golf, it can be very enjoyable as i have just got back from Kunming and i played 3 1/2 rounds of golf (never played before) without breaking any sweat due to the nice cool weather.

chromodynamics said:
Hi redbaron1963,
It'll be even more fun learning golf if you can find about three good friends to form a group with you. Having a group would also reduce the lesson fees, and you could encourage one another as you go along. You and your friends would also be able to form a flight to play golf together after you get your PC / handicap.
Thats what i am planning to do also, anyone interested, please pm me.

smallaperture said:

If possible, it is okay to buy 2nd hand golf clubs. I bought my full set of callaway golf clubs (all in 9.5/10 condition) at only $300...

For balls, most pro shops will stock up 2nd hand balls in packets of 50. Go for these. Some packets have rather good balls.

Shoes, gloves is a must, get one that is most comfortable to you. A hat is strongly recommended, while sunglasses is just an option.

Just my 2¢

+evenstar said:
If possible, it is okay to buy 2nd hand golf clubs. I bought my full set of callaway golf clubs (all in 9.5/10 condition) at only $300...

For balls, most pro shops will stock up 2nd hand balls in packets of 50. Go for these. Some packets have rather good balls.

Shoes, gloves is a must, get one that is most comfortable to you. A hat is strongly recommended, while sunglasses is just an option.

Just my 2¢
Callaway golf equipment is never sold in complete set. They are always sold separately in pieces like iron set, individual woods, wedges, putter and bag. So, if you manage to get a full Callaway set that is almost new, I am 99% sure that it is an imitation/copy set from PRC. Go to the Callaway web site to check if it's genuine.

The risk of injury to you and other is very high if the shaft or the glue give way. So, got to be careful.

Safer to get some cheap set from Carrefour or when there is a sale by Transview or Panwest, etc.

yeah... agree on the comments on calloway... no way a second set willl go for so cheap... becareful the shaft or the head comes off while you hit the balls...

so anyone keen in joining me for the beginners lessons?

nemesis32 said:
yeah... agree on the comments on calloway... no way a second set willl go for so cheap... becareful the shaft or the head comes off while you hit the balls...

so anyone keen in joining me for the beginners lessons?

where?

i used to play almost every week when i was in australia - melbourne;)

dirt cheap and no need PC card ;) golf courses got trams go thru somemore.

so far the best course i went to was this club championship course at cape shank near mornington peninsula.

rented a graphite titliest (or however it spells lar) FULL set and buddy buggy for total of AUD$30+ and $7 for green fees ;)

went thru 18 holes with a terrible score, but the green overlooks the oceans and gawd, holes were going at long par 5s........... :sweat:
up hill and down hills...

i remember one particular hole, distance to hole looks about 300ish...so quite short. but its a par 5 :sweat:

tee off is top of a hill then a valley and putting greens on the next crest and surrounded by slopes down to the valley again. only 2 small bunkers can stop your ball from rolling down that blardy hill.

double bogeyed that blardy hole..........

now come back, sianz 1/2 coz in SG, need to have PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.