Leapord not supported in older G4s??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not exactly unexpected, as they've been making more applications that required more resources. QuickTime has required a strong G4 for H.264 and other, newer video functionality and iChat also needs a bigger machine to conference. iMovie '08, released recently, doesn't run on G4 processors at all.

My notebook only got 1gb RAM. Can run Leoppard or not???

Aost importantly, apple is trying to ditch their legacy G-series code for a pure x86 implementation.

No one knows the final requirements yet unless Apple have finished their release candidate.

Why no one knows? The maker already made the announcement so surely u can expect the older sys will not be optimised. I think apple wants to streamline the codes for Intel architecture, otherwise their software is going to remain less efficient becos of backward compatibilities policy.

This advancing phase is inevitable, dun think anyone desires to run OS X on a G3 imac anymore right? (not talking abt able to run, but run it productively) Besides, the G4 is already a pretty old machine, long due for a replacement liao. :)

UNLEASH THE BUY-RUS!! :bsmilie:

I think it's not easy to maintain 2 platform codes. I dun think it's so simple as 1 code, just compile into different platforms can liao...sure lots of things to consider which we outsiders dunno one.

Why no one knows? The maker already made the announcement so surely u can expect the older sys will not be optimised. I think apple wants to streamline the codes for Intel architecture, otherwise their software is going to remain less efficient becos of backward compatibilities policy.

This advancing phase is inevitable, dun think anyone desires to run OS X on a G3 imac anymore right? (not talking abt able to run, but run it productively) Besides, the G4 is already a pretty old machine, long due for a replacement liao. :)

UNLEASH THE BUY-RUS!! :bsmilie:

Since they were just selling the PowerBook G4 and iBook G4 about 1.5 years ago, they won't stop them until 10.6 most likely but anything with a G3 won't be able to run 10.5 and many of the G4s.

Macs tend to last a very long time and in the publishing business they seem to hang on forever, mainly because some customer is too cheap to upgrade. Even after 5+ years of Mac OS X, some companies are still holding on to Quark XPress 3.31 or 4.11 running on Mac OS 9 on a Quadra series machine, though they're now the few.

Holding onto the last incarnation of the iBook G4.

Dun think I'll upgrade it anytime soon until it dies on me completely. At least for now, Photoshop CS2 still runs decently well.

Holding onto the last incarnation of the iBook G4.

Dun think I'll upgrade it anytime soon until it dies on me completely. At least for now, Photoshop CS2 still runs decently well.

CS2 can run decently well in iBook??? :bigeyes:

I find my Safari on my iBook very slow. I cannot imagine if I have CS2 running in it!

btw do you know how old the older G4s are?

mine is at least 7-10 years old
time for a replacement

7-10 years still can run??? I thought electronics stuff, after 4 years will be spoilt???

btw do you know how old the older G4s are?

mine is at least 7-10 years old
time for a replacement

The PowerMac G4 line arrived around early 2000.

7-10 years still can run??? I thought electronics stuff, after 4 years will be spoilt???

I'm still using my PowerComputing Mac clone from 1995 and my Atari 8-bit machine from the 1980s, not to mention quite a few other things. When things are built well, they last.

Status
Not open for further replies.