leaky tap


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
just trying something abstract. not too sure if this works or not.
i would have preferred it if i was able to capture more droplets of water but i couldn't really catch the timing.

 

zaren

Moderator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
10,960
27
48
#2
codling said:
just trying something abstract. not too sure if this works or not.
i would have preferred it if i was able to capture more droplets of water but i couldn't really catch the timing.

this shot would look great in b&w and with increased contrast. excellent timing to catch the water droplet in mid-air. as you have pointed out, catching a whole stream of water droplets would be even better, patience and perseverance definitely begets better photographs!
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#3
I was just about to say it would be better in B&W when i saw zaren's comments.

My intention for it to be B&W is a bit different. I feel that as it is, the water droplet (your main subject) is competing with too many elements. Things like the peeling paints on the pipes, rusty nuts all distracts the viewer.

Also, your ccd seems to be quite dirty, can see 4-5 areas of black patches which i assume is dirty ccd....

composition wise, i would give more space on the left and top..

Also, it may be worthwhile to explore the shooting angle. As it is, it's just a frontal shot with a nice capture of freeze water droplet.
 

jOhO

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2003
6,485
0
0
41
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
#4
it doesn't work for me becos of the rather harsh shadow, and also the hot spot due to (i believe) your flash.

maybe i would try without flash, but maybe u might not have a fast enuff shutter to freeze the drop.
 

Witness

Senior Member
Mar 18, 2004
6,943
0
36
33
www.maverickatwork.com
#5
nah i disagree with z... i tink hor...depending on the intention...the harsh shadow and the drop of water.... makes a v good comparison ...... my take...accentuate the harshness...X-process the colours digitally... and BOOST the contrast....

will make it more attractive... intention wise...up to the photog to explain to me .. haha i not v good at these things..

cheers..
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#6
although the technicality (timing of the shot) is well executed, the subject and the details failed to intrique me, somehow i'm not given much 'room' for imagination except to look at the nicely 'frozen' water droplets. like what nemesis32 mentioned, you may like to consider a different angle, and consider what you want to include in this frame to make it more thought provoking, rather than stopping at the 'frozen' droplets :)
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#7
How to improve this picture:

A dark background (black velvet) to drown away the harsh shadow
a different angle (maybe from the side)
a diy softbox for your flash (to get rid of the hotspots)
add another flash from the back (to highlight the water drop)
clean the tap
 

#8
nemesis32 said:
I was just about to say it would be better in B&W when i saw zaren's comments.

My intention for it to be B&W is a bit different. I feel that as it is, the water droplet (your main subject) is competing with too many elements. Things like the peeling paints on the pipes, rusty nuts all distracts the viewer.

Also, your ccd seems to be quite dirty, can see 4-5 areas of black patches which i assume is dirty ccd....

composition wise, i would give more space on the left and top..

Also, it may be worthwhile to explore the shooting angle. As it is, it's just a frontal shot with a nice capture of freeze water droplet.
never thought of b&w, but i think i would want to experiment with the cross processing.

CCD dirty? i have no idea...how do i know if the ccd's dirty?

thanks for pointing it out...i guess i ll have to try harder to get a better angle...
thanks for your comments...i appreciate them....
 

#9
jOhO said:
it doesn't work for me becos of the rather harsh shadow, and also the hot spot due to (i believe) your flash.

maybe i would try without flash, but maybe u might not have a fast enuff shutter to freeze the drop.
i used a bounce card, guess its not diffuse enough...probably try to stand further away...but if i dont have a fast shutter, i wont be able to capture the droplet...but i guess i have to experiment for other effects...
thanks for your comments...
 

#10
Witness said:
nah i disagree with z... i tink hor...depending on the intention...the harsh shadow and the drop of water.... makes a v good comparison ...... my take...accentuate the harshness...X-process the colours digitally... and BOOST the contrast....

will make it more attractive... intention wise...up to the photog to explain to me .. haha i not v good at these things..

cheers..
i didnt thought of cross processing, i think it might create a more interesting pic...
i think at that time, i was just trying something new to me...i dont really have an intention, only the dirty that i thought would lend it some character and the droplet with the shadow would be its main subject...didnt realise that it turns out distracting for some...

thanks for your comments...
 

#11
eikin said:
although the technicality (timing of the shot) is well executed, the subject and the details failed to intrique me, somehow i'm not given much 'room' for imagination except to look at the nicely 'frozen' water droplets. like what nemesis32 mentioned, you may like to consider a different angle, and consider what you want to include in this frame to make it more thought provoking, rather than stopping at the 'frozen' droplets :)
no room for imagination and a different approach...ok got it...will experiment more...

thanks for your comments...
 

#12
ortega said:
How to improve this picture:

A dark background (black velvet) to drown away the harsh shadow
a different angle (maybe from the side)
a diy softbox for your flash (to get rid of the hotspots)
add another flash from the back (to highlight the water drop)
clean the tap
i thought the shadow might accentuate the pic...
ok will work on the angle...
i thought the bounce would be sufficent, apparently not, will try a softbox approach...
hmm...i only have one flash...perhaps i can soft light up the background...? would that work?
i thought the dirty tap lends it a bit of character...is that too dirty....or not dirty enough, such that it is "not here not there" type??

thanks for your comments...
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#13
codling said:
never thought of b&w, but i think i would want to experiment with the cross processing.

CCD dirty? i have no idea...how do i know if the ccd's dirty?

thanks for pointing it out...i guess i ll have to try harder to get a better angle...
thanks for your comments...i appreciate them....
The ccd dirty as i can see some black spots on the right hand side of the frame.. look closely. To confirm, try take a shot at the smallest aperture at a piece of white paper.
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#14
codling said:
i thought the shadow might accentuate the pic...
ok will work on the angle...
i thought the bounce would be sufficent, apparently not, will try a softbox approach...
hmm...i only have one flash...perhaps i can soft light up the background...? would that work?
i thought the dirty tap lends it a bit of character...is that too dirty....or not dirty enough, such that it is "not here not there" type??

thanks for your comments...
how about bouncing the light against a whiteboard or something onto the subject instead...
 

#16
nemesis32 said:
The ccd dirty as i can see some black spots on the right hand side of the frame.. look closely. To confirm, try take a shot at the smallest aperture at a piece of white paper.
errr...i m using a panasonic fz20 leh....can get them to clean for me...?
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#17
codling said:
errr...i m using a panasonic fz20 leh....can get them to clean for me...?
I not sure abt that... maybe you call the service centre or post in the panasonic forum?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom