LCDS and Spyder2express

Status
Not open for further replies.

iboey

Jun 16, 2006
Eastern Singapore
www.iboey.com
Im considering going into desktop editing as currently im using laptop. Do I have to set my new LCD to 100% brightness for the spyder2express calibration work or set everything to default? :confused:

Im worried more on the exposure part when editing in future. :cry:

I think the recommendation by datacolor is to set to default :)

thats the problem...coz every monitor brightness is different even though set to default :confused: or it dosent matter at all? :think::think:

Hi,

LCD monitors are usually way too bright at default settings. The recommended brightness or luminance is around 100cd/m2, gamma 2.2. This is a good starting point.

With the monitor I am using, I have to reduce the brightness control to 11% to achieve 100cd/m2. I am using the Spyder 2Pro, part of the Printfix Pro Suite 2.0.

N.S. Ng

Hi,

LCD monitors are usually way too bright at default settings. The recommended brightness or luminance is around 100cd/m2, gamma 2.2. This is a good starting point.

With the monitor I am using, I have to reduce the brightness control to 11% to achieve 100cd/m2. I am using the Spyder 2Pro, part of the Printfix Pro Suite 2.0.

N.S. Ng

How do you measure the 100cd/m2??

How do you measure the 100cd/m2??

During the profiling process, the Spyder 2Pro, will measure the white luminance of the LCD monitor and display the value. I then adjust the brightness control on my monitor and check the value again.

The 100cd/m2, I am using is based on my room lighting condition. I keep the lighting very dim.

N.S. Ng

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/

I was a user of Spyder 2 express for quite a while, and realized that the default settings recommended by Datacolor/Colorvision is way too bright. If I am not wrong, it was around 160 cdm on my LCD, which is far too high.

The brightness should not exceed 120 cdm, and I personally prefer between 100 ~ 110 cdm. I recommend that you get a software update from Express to Spyder 2 Pro, which I think Cathay Photo is offering. Alternatively, get the Eye One Display 2, or Spyder 3 which allows greater control during calibration.

Calibration is not just about color accuracy alone, having the correct level of brightness is equally important as well.

Thanks

I was a user of Spyder 2 express for quite a while, and realized that the default settings recommended by Datacolor/Colorvision is way too bright. If I am not wrong, it was around 160 cdm on my LCD, which is far too high.

The brightness should not exceed 120 cdm, and I personally prefer between 100 ~ 110 cdm. I recommend that you get a software update from Express to Spyder 2 Pro, which I think Cathay Photo is offering. Alternatively, get the Eye One Display 2, or Spyder 3 which allows greater control during calibration.

Calibration is not just about color accuracy alone, having the correct level of brightness is equally important as well.

Thanks

Upgrading from express to 2pro just software alone? how abt the colorimeter? For me the concern now is getting the right level of brightness. :sweat:

According to Cathay Photo, the price for the software upgrade is $155.
The upgraded software will allow you to calibrate the brightness to the desired level. :)

According to Cathay Photo, the price for the software upgrade is $155. You can use back your current hardware. Call them for confirmation.

The upgraded software will allow you to calibrate the brightness to the desired level. :)

thats the problem...coz every monitor brightness is different even though set to default :confused: or it dosent matter at all? :think::think:
when they say default, Datacolor means the default that the monitor manufacturer sets... usually there is an option in the monitor controls that allows you to reset to its default setting :)

and yes, the various versions of Spyder 2 like Express, Pro, Plus, all use the same hardware... its the software that's different... you can even use 3rd party software like ColorEyes Display Pro :)

Status
Not open for further replies.